10 most popular reviews
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 5:10 am    Post subject: 10 most popular reviews Reply with quote

http://www.tinyminds.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=3

Quote:

The main advantage to the Gentoo distribution is Portage, a python based ports system similar to BSD ports. For those of you unfamiliar with BSD ports, Portage is a package management tool that downloads and installs source instead of precompiled packages. When I need a program I download, install and compile it with one command:

emerge nmap

The above will download the nmap source code, compile and install it. Of course this method is slow, but it has it's rewards. You can also opt to use prebuilt binaries if you are not extremely patient. It took me five hours to get the base Gentoo installed on my PIII with 128 meg of ram. It wasn't a big deal as I had other things to do, but I would like to see the installation process optimized so that it doesn't require any babysitting.

Gentoo is running two of my mission critical servers right now, I consider it to be stable and mature. A warning though, this is not a distribution for dummies. This is bare metal Linux, powerful and dangerous. If you do something without thinking you may fall into a bucket of pain.

MACPRO machine...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: