Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ema64,

Correct. On some ebuilds, just by changing the ebuild file name, to <package>-9999.ebuild you enable the 'live' functionality.
Unfortunately media-video/cinelerra is not one of those.

The ebuild shows SRC_URI="http://dev.gentoo.org/~ssuominen/${P}.tar.xz" which is in ssuominens dev space on dev.gentoo.org too, not the cinelerra website.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Ema64
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, maybe I can try to contact the ebuild's owner just to know something.

I must say a thing: Gentoo is POWERFUL.
Really: POWERFUL.

I think that it needs some flagships just to give idea of power and so it'll spread. Cinelerra and video editing is wonderful on Linux awesome performance. If you think about all the products in the past which got success they are linked to something. The Sega Megadrive console had Sonic, the first Playstation had that wonderful driving game, the Amiga computer in a world of 'mono' concept delivered the multimedia idea... and so on.

We must link the Gentoo uber penguin to some strong image just to exit from the common Linux world.

Cinelerra in my opinion could be the first step this is the reason for which I insist on it :)
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ema64, you could create your own local overlay and modify the ebuild. In this case:
Code:

mkdir /usr/local/portage
mkdir /usr/local/portage/media-video
mkdir /usr/local/portage/media-video/cinelerra
mkdir /usr/local/portage/media-video/cinelerra/files
cp -R /usr/portage/media-video/cinelerra/* /usr/local/portage/media-video/cinelerra

Look in the wiki for how to write (edit) an ebuild and patching source. I'm sure there is a protocol on numbering. Maybe NeddySeagoon would give both of us some advice.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945,

The ebuild name and version number tells the tarball to fetch.
Its often possible to do a version bump by changing the ebuild version number in the file name.

A word of warning - I'm mot an ebuild dev so am not best placed to advise on edits to ebuilds.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The ebuild name and version number tells the tarball to fetch.
Its often possible to do a version bump by changing the ebuild version number in the file name.

I meant the propriety of reusing the ebuild name and number. In this example, changing the target URL without changing the name or number. I've written a few custom ebuilds. Using EAPI 5 and sticking to autotools with the standard layout (which I hate), the ebuild becomes almost trivial. My custom ebuilds for my software have names and version numbers made by me, so there is no collision with portage. I did port wxX11 latest version using the very old ebuild in the portage attic as an example. That was non-trivial as considerable patching was involved. I used the standard number and the upstream version number and agin there was no conflict (yet!) because that version number does not exist in portage.

In this case, he would be making a cinelerra-9999 ebuild which conflicts with portage. Should he maybe call it "mycinelerra"? But then it would not satify the requirements of any package that requires cinelerra.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the case of Cinelerra, from a quick peek, it looks like it's a bit on the complicated side (which is probably why the older versions were packaged and hosted by Samuli Suominen, in their personal space, whom I haven't seen active for a few months now... I hope they're just on a break!).

It may be possible to create at least a live-ebuild rather painlessly, but I can't tell for sure yet. With a quick search at their (horrible!) website, I couldn't find sources for different releases, only something that looked like binaries and build-scripts.

I will look into it more tomorrow (or later today, rather), if time permits. I may fail to do anything useful though, as I'm not too good with ebuilds myself.

Also, there's already a bug report: here.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
I'm not too good with ebuilds myself.

Just FTR: this is utter nonsense. ;-)
Ema64
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already visited their web site but unfortunately they do not host sources: they are only in google code and they can be taken from git.

I tried to compile from git (in my mind prior to prepare an ebuild I must see if the src compile... am I right? :( ) but panicking worse than a kernel badly compiled :)

Some headers 'seem' to have missing path and I've fixed the .c source; then it's dependency time and with emerge I fixed that.

Now the sources during compilation phase are searching for some damned .a lib which should be in another dir and it's not and as of now I retired :)

Apart from that the structure you receive from git is: a main configure which calls DOZENS of other configure and in Gentoo you must pass to one of that configure the --disable-vaa otherwise billions errors appears. I've done it manually into the nested configure but I don't know how to do from the beginning :(

Anyway are we in OT? In case I'll open another topic by speaking of Cinelerra :)
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Chiitoo wrote:
I'm not too good with ebuilds myself.

Just FTR: this is utter nonsense. ;-)

Pish-posh, like I said elsewhere. Naught I speak but the truth! ^^

Ema64 wrote:
I already visited their web site but unfortunately they do not host sources: they are only in google code and they can be taken from git.

I tried to compile from git (in my mind prior to prepare an ebuild I must see if the src compile... am I right? :( ) but panicking worse than a kernel badly compiled :)

Some headers 'seem' to have missing path and I've fixed the .c source; then it's dependency time and with emerge I fixed that.

Now the sources during compilation phase are searching for some damned .a lib which should be in another dir and it's not and as of now I retired :)

Apart from that the structure you receive from git is: a main configure which calls DOZENS of other configure and in Gentoo you must pass to one of that configure the --disable-vaa otherwise billions errors appears. I've done it manually into the nested configure but I don't know how to do from the beginning :(

I went ahead and did the same the other day. Using git to clone the project and then building it, adding a few missing packages got me to a running Cinelerra instance surprisingly effortlessly. I did manage to make it crash quite fast, too, but that is what I remember from all my past tries with Cinelerra, so perhaps that's as it should be. ^^;

I am likely missing some additional packages that made it crash. I also wonder if it would be an idea to check-out a release of a stable version (if they have any) instead of the very latest.

Ema64 wrote:
Anyway are we in OT? In case I'll open another topic by speaking of Cinelerra :)

Yes, that's a good idea. I was about to suggest it with my next reply as well. ^^
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: