Cinnamon on VMWare Fusion on MBP: Software-rendering only
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doalwa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Cinnamon on VMWare Fusion on MBP: Software-rendering only Reply with quote

Hi fellow Gentoo community,

it's been a long time since I've last tried anything Gentoo-related. But yesterday I had that uncontrollable itch to dive back in and fortunately, I still had my old Gentoo VM in my VMWare Fusion library on my Retina MacBookPro running OSX 10.10.3 and VMWare Fusion 7.1.1

First thing I did was an emerge --sync and a world update...384 packages and everything went without a hitch, that's the Gentoo I've always known and loved :D

Out of the gate I wanted to try a nice Desktop environment. I only had XFCE4 installed and since I've had good experiences with Cinnamon on Mint, I went that route.

Emerging Cinnamon went off without a hitch, but after starting Cinnamon up I'm greeted by an error message that Cinnamon is only able to work in Software rendering mode.
Cinnamon is only runnning in a small windows with black bars and not running in the default resolution of my display.

SInce I've been out of the game for quite a while, I don't know where I could check what exactly is going on.

For what it's worth, 3d acceleration is indeed activated in Fusion, but apart from that, I'm not sure what is missing in my Gentoo VM.

Thanks in advance,

Dominik
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: