LibreOffice, Javascript, and Webkit-GTK on Raspberry Pi 2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcb1974
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: LibreOffice, Javascript, and Webkit-GTK on Raspberry Pi 2 Reply with quote

It has been 5 days and the Libreoffice build has not finished compiling. How much longer will it take? I am using -j4 in my make.conf, a USB hard disk as the PORTAGE_TMPDIR mounted at /tmp, and an 8GB flash for swap. Don't want to cross compile.

Has anyone else compiled LibreOffice on a raspberry pi 2?

Webkit-gtk was difficult to compile since in v2.6.5 and some later versions there is a missing semicolon after a "return" statement in the FEBlendNEON.h file which prevents it from building. I checked version 2.8.1 and it was fixed, but there is no ebuild in portage for that version yet. To get it to compile on my machine, I had to quickly edit FEBlendNEON.h after portage extracted it, but before it was used by the compiler.

Code:
nano /tmp/portage/net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.6.6/work/webkitgtk-2.6.6/Source/WebCore/platform/graphics/cpu/arm/filters/FEBlendNEON.h

Also, has anyone gotten javascript to work in Midori or Etherium browsers? When I have scripting enabled in those browsers, they crash constantly.

What about hardware accelerated mp4 playback in xine or vlc?

My goal is to have the RPI2 replace the desktop that I use for light browsing and some video playback. Want to minimize my electric bill.

Thanks,
Richard
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: LibreOffice, Javascript, and Webkit-GTK on Raspberry Pi Reply with quote

rcb1974 wrote:
Webkit-gtk was difficult to compile since in v2.6.5 and some later versions there is a missing semicolon after a "return" statement in the FEBlendNEON.h file which prevents it from building. I checked version 2.8.1 and it was fixed, but there is no ebuild in portage for that version yet. To get it to compile on my machine, I had to quickly edit FEBlendNEON.h after portage extracted it, but before it was used by the compiler.

You could drop the diff as a user patch under /etc/portage/patches/net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.6.6/ and use the /etc/portage/bashrc trick.
rcb1974
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: It finished Reply with quote

It finished and works really well. It seems almost as fast as Libreoffice running on my desktop computer. I am surprised and impressed.
Now I have to figure out how to get Firefox and Thunderbird to compile...
rcb1974
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird and KDE (kde-meta) both compiled and installed flawlessly on my Raspberry Pi 2. I am pleased with the performance of both. Konqueror can even play Youtube videos without much frame skipping. Very good.

Now I have to get Firefox to build. This is the last big software package I wanted to get running.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcb1974 wrote:
Now I have to get Firefox to build. This is the last big software package I wanted to get running.

See https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=549356#c5 for the newest version.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: