New install questions related to UEFI and Gnome/systemd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xanomead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: New install questions related to UEFI and Gnome/systemd Reply with quote

Hi,

I used to use Gentoo a long time ago (around the time of the Linux 2.4 / 2.6 transition). I've recently got a new machine and things have changed a bit since my last machine (Thinkpad T61). It seems that having a motherboard with this UEFI thing requires some deviation from just following the handbook.

This must be becoming increasingly common and so I would have thought it'd be easy to find a guide on explaining installation on hardware using UEFI. I know that installing Gentoo requires a little bit of thinking, but I'm having trouble finding answers rather than 'guides' that just raise further questions.

There's probably some guide someone can link me to without me explaining where I'm confused, but if it helps I'll try to make clear what I'm confused about.

In the handbook here it says that the BIOS boot partition is not always needed, and I would assume because I am using UEFI that I wouldn't need it. But it says that if using a got partition table then the BIOS boot partition is needed, and as I understand it you should use got and not MBR if you are using UEFI.

Could someone give me an example of a basic partition layout with a swap partition, root partition and whatever I need for booting. I do plan to make a separate /home partition (also I've assumed about 15GB should be ample for Gentoo? I have a 128GB SSD).

Then when selecting a profile there are a whole lot of options including Gnome and a separate Gnome/systemd profile. It seems that if you want Gnome then you must use systems though the guide for systemd seems to be for those who have their system installed and are then changing over to systemd, rather than performing a new install.

I have checked this guide here which is supposedly for those wanting to install Gnome from scratch (I assume from scratch means on a new install rather than transitioning from OpenRC) but that guide seems to have me installing Gnome and all its deps before I have even got a kernel compiled. That seems strange at least, if not wrong. Am I simply better off installing a minimal system that uses OpenRC and then switching to systemd and installing Gnome?

It seems a bit strange that this hasn't been sorted out by now as Gnome 3 has been around for a long long time.

Update

On carefully reading the gnome from scratch guide I think I've figured out that I had misunderstood it there.

Still just have those questions regarding the partitioning, but maybe rereading the documentation on that again will be enough.
Barracuz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also trying to install gentoo on a UEFI system but with intentions of dual booting windows 8.1

I've been using multiple guides on top of the original handbook in order to better understand and lessen a failure or mishap on my first install. I'm using:
Sakaki's EFI install guide
UEFI Dual boot with Windows 7/8
HOWTO_Dual_boot

And some other articles scattered throughout the web.

My current partition setup is Including the stock Windows partitions on a single 1tb hdd that has a gpt label:
sda1 105mb EFI system partition
sda2 944mb Basic data partition
Sda3 134mb Microsoft reserved partition
sda4 715gb Basic data partition
sda5 367mb (some hidden partition with no name)
sda6 21.5gb Restore/Recovery

Linux starts here:

sda7 524mb GRUB bios-boot
sda8 524mb boot
sda9 4194mb swap
sda10 31.5gb root
sda11 225gb home

Just thought I'd share my experience up until now and hopefully someone else can full answers your questions
Xanomead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I read a lot more. Because I don't dual boot it looks like it should be easy for me to in fact skip having a boot loader and boot manager, it seems I can boot the kernel directly from the EFI.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/EFI_stub_kernel
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: