View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Request help configuring X11 Reply with quote

I had a Hyundai Imagequest CRT monitor (actually still have it) and switched to a used Viewsonic flat panel. X11 wants to drive it at 75Hz, apparently thinking that the CRT is still there. This causes the flat panel to hiss and flicker on and off. The Flat Panel works fine when connected to a Windows computer, so hardware is not the problem.

I tried to enter a modeline into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-monitor.conf, following the wiki: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide#The_xorg.conf.d_directory

Here is the configuration file.
Quote:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Viewsonic"
Option "Monitor-VGA-0" "VGA screen"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "VGA screen"
Modeline "1280x1024_60.00" 109.00 1280 1368 1496 1712 1024 1027 1034 1063 -hsync +vsync
Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1024_60.00"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Hyundai-Q770"
HorizSync 28.0 - 96.0#
VertRefresh 50.0 - 75.0
DisplaySize 300 225
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Analog-TV"
HorizSync 30.0 - 40.0
VertRefresh 60
DisplaySize 400 300
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Dummy"
EndSection

Although the Viewsonic is listed first, X seems to think the Hyundai (CRT) is listed first as shown by this excerpt from /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows:
Quote:
[ 9043.372]
X.Org X Server 1.16.4
Release Date: 2014-12-20
[ 9043.372] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[ 9043.372] Build Operating System: Linux 3.17.7-gentoo x86_64 Gentoo
[ 9043.372] Current Operating System: Linux biostar 3.18.11-gentoo #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Apr 30 21:06:18 CDT 2015 x86_64
[ 9043.372] Kernel command line: root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3 udev net.ifnames=0 acpi_enforce_resources=lax vga=794
[ 9043.372] Build Date: 26 February 2015 08:01:58PM
[ 9043.372]
[ 9043.372] Current version of pixman: 0.32.6
[ 9043.372] Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
[ 9043.372] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[ 9043.373] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu May 7 15:17:17 2015
[ 9043.373] (==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[ 9043.373] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[ 9043.374] (==) No Layout section. Using the first Screen section.
[ 9043.374] (**) |-->Screen "CRT-0" (0)
[ 9043.374] (**) | |-->Monitor "Hyundai-Q770"
[ 9043.374] (**) | |-->Device "pci-vga"
[ 9043.374] (==) Automatically adding devices
[ 9043.374] (==) Automatically enabling devices
[ 9043.374] (==) Automatically adding GPU devices
[ 9043.375] (**) FontPath set to:

The video card has VGA,DVI,analog video, and S-video outputs. Only the VGA is connected. I am running xorg-x11-7.4-r2 (latest stable)

I'd appreciate not only help in fixing this problem but help in "teaching me to fish".
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presuming use of open source video driver, suggest have only the flat panel connected, then:
Code:
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.old
reboot
see what Auto does with it.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't do anything except make it worse. The monitor won't stay on long enough to select the auto-adjust.

I dismantled the monitor looking for bulging capacitors as i see all over the internet. Caps look fine. Now I'll throw away the monitor and buy another. It seems like I have to find a 75Hz monitor.
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is surprising, the last time I can remember needing to manually configure X like this must be 5 years ago or so, and even then that was because it was a unusual multi GPU setup where one card drove the display and the others were running Cuda apps.

For anything that even resembles a "common" setup, I'd completely expect DONAHUE's suggestion above to "just work".

In the xorg log you have
Code:
[ 9043.373] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"

is it possible you have some configuration in that directory that messes with things?

Granted, I find the same line in my log, and I don't have that directory at all.

I realize this doesn't help a great deal, but there's the https://packages.gentoo.org/package/x11-misc/read-edid package. Possibly you can use it from CLI (without X) to pull out edid info, and see if the monitor is saying something "unusual" that might need to be feed manually into X. Sadly I don't really know what that would be.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a box with nVidia blob. The combination card/driver did not work properly, although was supported. As a result EDID wasn't pulled from monitor and X defaulted to a wrong mode, causing monitor to flicker. Had to save EDID into a binary file and feed it to X.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Request help configuring X11 Reply with quote

You can attach "Monitor" to "Screen" or "Device"
You attach "Device" to "Screen"
Than you attach "Screen" to "ServerLayout"

Tony0945 wrote:

[ 9043.374] (==) No Layout section. Using the first Screen section.
[ 9043.374] (**) |-->Screen "CRT-0" (0)
[ 9043.374] (**) | |-->Monitor "Hyundai-Q770"
[ 9043.374] (**) | |-->Device "pci-vga"

So its xorg first is telling you: you have no "ServerLayout"
It then tells you : i will use the first Screen section
But you don't have any as well, but xorg guess one itself or found one in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d or /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
It also tell you its name: CRT-0 (that seems pretty generic)
It then tells you the name of the device attach to that screen: "pci-vga" (pretty generic too i would say) and the monitor attach to it: Hyundai-Q770

So until you gives xorg ServerLayout, it will fallback to the first screen section, and you have none right now.
And even if you build a "good" Section in your xorg.org, it may not fallback to this one as you could think, it would be the first one if xorg read your xorg.conf prior to other xorg.conf.d directory.

Just stop letting xorg guess what you want, just tell it what you want.
Add a valid Screen Section, telling what monitor and what device to use in it
And add a valid layout, telling it to use that screen section.

Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"...

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "NVAGP TwinView"...

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "NVAGP TwinView" <-
    Monitor        "Monitor0" <-

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "X.org Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0 <-

Read that if it could help you with EDID settings: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-894978-highlight-samsung.html ; hell, that's from 2011 already :(

You're a fisher now ;)
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, don't know where to start acknowledging this fine help. First let me apologize for my late response. I've been preparing for a trip.

I followed Lotharion's link and emerged read_edid. Unfortunately it doesn't recognize any monitor including two quite new Samsung's. However, it did get me thinking about how X11 recognizes a monitor with no configuration. There must be some interrogation like read_edid to recover the information from the monitor itself. Else, why does Mate show the Samsung monitors as "Samsung 22"" since I never told X about the Samsung's and they are detected without a configuration file. I had made the configuration file for the Hyundai many years ago because it was not recognized. At that time Fedora had instructions as to how to write a configuration file. I've been running Gentoo for about nine years so that was long ago indeed.

I also found this handy calculator which works: http://www.arachnoid.com/modelines/

I had already dismantled the Viewsonic, which was reported as "Unknown monitor" before I attempted to configure a file, so I connected a old 17" square Dell that a friend gave me. With no conf files at all it was detected as a Dell and came up with no problem. However, the Dell does support 75Hz which the Viewsonic does not.

Viewsonic used to be a good brand in the CRT days. When I got this one apart, all the interior parts were labeled "Hannes-G" rather than "Viewsonic". I said capacitors looked OK, but on a closer look, I see slight convexity, although no leaking. The capacitors are CapXcon which are supposed to be problematic. The monitor was made in 2005 and is a Viewsonic VA912b. Now, I have to decide if I want to spend $11 buying a capacitor kit and soldering the caps (or more likely sweet talk my daughter into doing it, I haven't soldered for a decade and my eyes and hands are a lot worse) or just junking it and buying another used Dell. I never thought much of Dell but this used business monitor works and that's all I neeed for a mostly headless machine. I went this LCD route to avoid leaving the Hyundai powered up all the time (the machine is my main file server).

Many thanks to Krinn. I did set up a configuration for the Dell after it was auto-detected using his post, the aforementioned modeline calculator and xrandr info.

Unfortunately, I only have a hazy idea why this worked. Another machine that runs mythtv has an nvidia card that also has analog outputs and s-video. I had planned to connect this to an older analog TV for a bigger picture. I'd like to figure out how to set that up. X can't auto-detect a dumb TV can it?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: