Questions about ownership/group for Wordpress-Apache install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Questions about ownership/group for Wordpress-Apache install Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've got gentoo installed.

I"m following the guide here:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/WordPress

And also looking at other install guides that are more generic for LAMP with WP.

I've emerged apache, mysql and php5

I've emerged wordpress, and gotten to this point in the guide:

Quote:
Fix permissions to enable uploading content (such as banners):

root #chown apache:apache /var/www/localhost/htdocs/wordpress/wp-content

Ok..until this part...I'd not seen any guidance to create an "apache" user.....so, that brings me to maybe the larger question about apache and working with lamp and WP on a gentoo system about general best practices of users, groups and permissions.

Should I create an apache user and chown everything /var/www and below?

What if I'm hoping in the future...to not only point a domain I own to this first WP site...but what if I want the same server to host 2 or more sites with different domains to different WP sites on this same server.

Can someone give me some tips on ownership and permissions I need to think about, as well as from a security standpoint?

For right now, I'm just going to be installing WP local on this box...no exposure right now to the outside world, but when I get done playing with WP, learning the themes I want and tweak them, I will want to open this up to the internet...and like I said, possibly add 1-2 more sites on same server to different wordpress or other websites with different domains/urls, and am not sure how best to learn about setting things up with users and directory structures and all at the outset to make this a bit easier when the time comes for the multiple domain functionality.

Thank you all in advance for any tips, or good links for info!!!

cayenne
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you install apache, a user "apache" is automatically created... Did something cause it not to be created?

For me I actually try to keep as few things that are readable/editable by 'apache' as possible for security reasons. This is with exception of WEBDAV which I have to let apache own (else need to go to some other authentication system...anyone setup webdav to work per-user?)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: