[SOLVED]Minimum deps for installing nvidia-drivers in chroot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ennui
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]Minimum deps for installing nvidia-drivers in chroot Reply with quote

Hello,

I am attempting to setup a 32-bit chroot on my 64-bit Gentoo install (profile: hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib).

Does anyone know which dependencies are required to install the 32-bit nvidia-drivers into the chroot? I've already added my hardened-sources-3.18.9 kernel to the chroot's /etc/portage/profile/package.provided file (and performed a bind mount to my kernel directory outside the chroot), but I still see a lot of (probably unneeded) dependencies for installing nvidia-drivers inside the chroot. I'd like to trim this to the bare minimum for the sake of cleanliness, maintenance, etc.

(inside chroot)
Code:
# emerge -p nvidia-drivers

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] dev-libs/lzo-2.08  USE="-examples -static-libs"
[ebuild  N     ] dev-libs/gobject-introspection-common-1.42.0
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/libpng-1.6.16  USE="-apng (-neon) -static-libs"
[ebuild  N     ] app-eselect/eselect-opencl-1.1.0-r1
[ebuild  N     ] sys-libs/mtdev-1.1.5  USE="-static-libs"
[ebuild  N     ] dev-libs/gobject-introspection-1.42.0-r1  USE="-cairo -doctool {-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-proto/randrproto-1.4.0-r1
[ebuild  N     ] x11-proto/compositeproto-0.4.2-r1
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/pixman-0.32.6  USE="(-altivec) (-iwmmxt) (-loongson2f) (-neon) -static-libs" CPU_FLAGS_X86="-mmxext -sse2 -ssse3"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-apps/xkbcomp-1.3.0
[ebuild  N     ] sys-apps/pciutils-3.2.0  USE="kmod zlib -static-libs"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/libvdpau-0.9  USE="dri -doc {-test}"
[ebuild  N     ] sys-power/acpid-2.0.20  USE="(-selinux)"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/libXcursor-1.1.14  USE="-static-libs"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/libXi-1.7.4  USE="-doc -static-libs"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-proto/trapproto-3.4.3
[ebuild  N     ] x11-proto/bigreqsproto-1.1.2  USE="-doc"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-proto/xf86dgaproto-2.1-r2
[ebuild  N     ] x11-proto/videoproto-2.3.2
[ebuild  N     ] x11-proto/xineramaproto-1.2.1-r1
[ebuild  N     ] x11-proto/scrnsaverproto-1.2.2-r1  USE="-doc"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-apps/rgb-1.0.6
[ebuild  N     ] x11-apps/iceauth-1.0.7
[ebuild  N     ] x11-proto/xf86rushproto-1.1.2-r1
[ebuild  N     ] x11-misc/xbitmaps-1.1.1
[ebuild  N     ] x11-proto/resourceproto-1.2.0
[ebuild  N     ] x11-proto/recordproto-1.14.2-r1  USE="-doc"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-proto/xcmiscproto-1.2.2  USE="-doc"
[ebuild  N     ] dev-libs/libevdev-1.3  USE="-static-libs"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-apps/xrdb-1.1.0
[ebuild  N     ] app-arch/libarchive-3.1.2-r1  USE="acl bzip2 e2fsprogs iconv lzma xattr zlib -expat -lzo -nettle -static-libs"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/cairo-1.12.18-r1  USE="X glib svg (-aqua) -debug (-directfb) (-drm) (-gallium) (-gles2) -opengl (-openvg) (-qt4) -static-libs -valgrind -xcb -xlib-xcb"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf-2.30.8  USE="X introspection -debug -jpeg -jpeg2k {-test} -tiff"
[ebuild  N     ] dev-libs/atk-2.14.0  USE="introspection nls {-test}"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/libXcomposite-0.4.4-r1  USE="-doc -static-libs"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/libXrandr-1.4.2  USE="-static-libs"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-misc/xkeyboard-config-2.14
[ebuild  N     ] x11-apps/xinit-1.3.3-r1  USE="minimal"
[ebuild  N     ] dev-util/cmake-2.8.12.2-r1  USE="ncurses -emacs -qt4 (-qt5) {-test}"
[ebuild  N     ] media-gfx/graphite2-1.2.4-r1  USE="-perl {-test}"
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/harfbuzz-0.9.38  USE="cairo glib graphite introspection truetype -icu -static-libs {-test}"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/pango-1.36.8  USE="X introspection -debug"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/gtk+-2.24.27  USE="introspection (-aqua) -cups -debug -examples {-test} -vim-syntax -xinerama"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.16.4  USE="ipv6 nptl suid udev xorg -dmx -doc -glamor -kdrive -minimal (-selinux) -static-libs -systemd -tslib -unwind -wayland -xnest -xvfb"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.16  INPUT_DEVICES="evdev -acecad -aiptek -elographics -fpit -hyperpen -joystick -keyboard (-libinput) -mouse -mutouch -penmount -synaptics -tslib -vmmouse -void -wacom" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia -apm -ast -chips -cirrus -dummy -epson -fbdev -fglrx (-freedreno) -geode -glint -i128 -i740 -intel -mach64 -mga -modesetting -neomagic -nouveau -nv (-omap) (-omapfb) -qxl -r128 -radeon -radeonsi -rendition -s3 -s3virge -savage -siliconmotion -sisusb (-sunbw2) (-suncg14) (-suncg3) (-suncg6) (-sunffb) (-sunleo) (-suntcx) -tdfx -tga -trident -tseng -v4l -vesa -via -virtualbox -vmware (-voodoo)"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-349.16  USE="X acpi gtk2 pax_kernel tools -gtk3 (-multilib) (-uvm)"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.9.1

Last edited by ennui on Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
wjn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

That's because of USE flags.

Quote:
[ebuild N ] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-349.16 USE="X acpi gtk2 pax_kernel tools -gtk3 (-multilib) (-uvm)"

These flags are pulling packages such as xorg-server and gtk+:2, etc.

And, for example, xorg-server's flags are pulling many packages.
Quote:
x11-base/xorg-server-1.16.4 USE="ipv6 nptl suid udev xorg -dmx -doc -glamor -kdrive -minimal (-selinux) -static-libs -systemd -tslib -unwind -wayland -xnest -xvfb"

Configure these packages' USE flags (edit /etc/partage/package.use ) to omit unneeded packages.
(not only "x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers"'s flags but also "xorg-server"'s, etc.)
So you should know and decide which functionalities are not wanted. (e.g. Do you want GTK+ ?)
ennui
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks wjn,

I was able to get closer to where I want to be using USE flags. By trimming the acpi and tools USE flags on the nvidia-drivers package, I was able to get the list of packages down considerably. However, x11-base/xorg-server-1.16.4 was still listed in the set of dependencies and pulling in other unnecessary packages. By adding the xorg-server package to my package.provided file, I was able to trim the list to a much more reasonable length of:

Code:
# emerge -p nvidia-drivers

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] app-eselect/eselect-opencl-1.1.0-r1
[ebuild  N     ] sys-apps/pciutils-3.2.0  USE="kmod zlib -static-libs"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/libvdpau-0.9  USE="dri -doc {-test}"
[ebuild  N     ] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-349.16  USE="X gtk2 pax_kernel -acpi -gtk3 (-multilib) -tools (-uvm)"

Will validate the nvidia-drivers compiles with just these packages installed in the chroot (currently bombing applying nvidia-drivers-346.16-pax-constify.patch), then mark the topic solved.
ennui
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up having to remove hardened-sources from my package.provided and unbind the kernel sources from outside the chroot. Instead, I performed a separate install and make on hardened-sources within the chroot. I did this because I experienced an issue with the bitness of the constify_plugin.so plugin in my linux source tree bound in from the outer environment (which is 64-bit). I was able to use the same kernel config as outside the chroot with the exception of CONFIG_64BIT.

However, eliminating xorg-server as a dependency by way of package.provided enabled nvidia-drivers to build and install without issue. I'm in process to determine if Steam and associated games can still function in this minimal configuration.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: