Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Moving from udev (171-r10) to eudev (1.2-r1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWWW wrote:
Another question is whether it's possible to contribute to this project. Can I help with something? I don't know how to code but I can hunt for things, debug, test to some menial diff tasks etc. Is it possible to help with small things?

Yeah, always. You need to get used to using Gentoo and bugzilla (note: don't post unless you have to, and keep it technical.)

In the first instance I'd advise you to use IRC: chat.freenode.net and /join #gentoo-udev and lurk there.

You likely want it on your /autojoin list, but in case you've not used IRC, you'd normally use /join to check a channel out first. #gentoo for overall support, and #gentoo-chat for downtime/off-topic chatter.

See http://freenode.net/using_the_network.shtml
and http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Personally, I masked eudev-2.* and above

One of my fears about eudev was that they were going to follow the upstream changes to udev too closely.

Tony0945 wrote:
Masking it myself, to keep eth0 and also that they are changing the way firmware is handled.

Has either of you filed a bug to start a discussion with them about these issues?

Please do so, if not; after all you guys are experts, so set the example. ;-)

Bug report is probably better to have the discussion on record, whatever way is chosen, so people can be referred back to it later, instead of repeating the same old dialogue over and over w/e someone new finds the channel.
stephan-t
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm moving from 216 udev, anyway enough only sys-fs/udev to remove and re-emarged the new eudev version? I only do that and fine work.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephan-t wrote:
I'm moving from 216 udev, anyway enough only sys-fs/udev to remove and re-emerge the new eudev version? I only do that and fine work.

Yeah that should be enough nowadays, unless systemd got pulled in for some reason. Just be sure to run dispatch-conf (or etc-update) before you reboot (anyone who switches) as ever.

Thanks for the positive feedback, it helps others feel more confident about switching.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has either of you filed a bug to start a discussion with them about these issues?

I don't really think it's a bug. It's what they want to do now.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know? Just saying, if you've had the convi, then tell us that. In either event, a bug discussion is still better for the reason I gave: it means the reasoning is on the record, and people can be referred straight to the discussion directly from channel just by mentioning "bug XXXX" in front of willikins. That saves time, every occasion it comes up, as it means no-one has to go over the same old ground yet again.

Should it need to be revisited, it can be; or others can refer to it when patching in an overlay, for example, in a bash comment in the ebuild.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day I realized that I never got off my duff and moved from udev to eudev. This morning I did a quick "emerge -ptv eudev" to look for anything weird, and noticed something...

Can someone comment more on the "gudev" USE flag? From what I can tell, it's tied up in "gobject" stuff, and therefore I distrust it the same way I distrust "introspection". The latter seems in someways to be a back-door that's going to someday call for systemd to be installed, and I'm wondering if "gobject" really is of the same ilk, or if it's potentially valuable.

Right now I've purged all *kit stuff from this system. I have USE="-introspection -dbus" in make.conf, then selectively enable it where absolutely necessary in package.use, because I've found that they can't be fully purged without giving up things I don't want to give up. I've limited both. I'm now inclined to add "gudev" to that avoidance list. (currently "-gnome -kde -esd -eds -arts -zeroconf -systemd -pulseaudio -policykit -consolekit -dbus -udisks -upower -introspection -gtk3")

I ran a quick "USE="-gudev" emerge -ptuvDN world" and see that virtual/libgudev depends on this flag being set. I then see that I have several packages dependent on it, usually conditionally with the udev flag, but gvfs unconditionally. I'm a bit surprised, but it looks like my dependence on gvfs itself may be conditional. I may be able to purge this, after all.

Anyone else have experience here? I'm reluctant to USE="-udev" at the moment.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further confusion...

I just did a little xfce rebuilding to reduce dependence on dbus and libgudev, but decided not to try getting rid of libgudev quite yet, so for the moment I've left the gudev flag set.

Then I did "emerge -atv eudev". First, I was happy to see that portage will automagically remove udev for me. ("b", not "B") Next I saw that I was removing udev-216 and installing eudev-1.10-r2. The title of this thread is something about moving from udev-171-r10 to eudev-1.2-r1. So by default I'm moving from a newer udev than this thread is discussing to an older eudev. Somewhere in this thread there is a pointer to a udev upgrade guide, where they mention making sure CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER is not set. I'm running 3.18.1 - I don't have that flag any more, but I have:
Code:
user@localhost ~ $ grep CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER /usr/src/linux/.config
# CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER_FALLBACK is not set
user@localhost ~ $ grep _FW_ /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y

I believe in this respect I'm set, but am not 100% confident. Is CONFIG_FW_LOADER a rename of CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER?

Should I be moving to a newer version of eudev instead of the default 1.10-r2? I see earlier on this thread that eudev-2+ are masked.
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
Further confusion...

I just did a little xfce rebuilding to reduce dependence on dbus and libgudev, but decided not to try getting rid of libgudev quite yet, so for the moment I've left the gudev flag set.

Then I did "emerge -atv eudev". First, I was happy to see that portage will automagically remove udev for me. ("b", not "B") Next I saw that I was removing udev-216 and installing eudev-1.10-r2. The title of this thread is something about moving from udev-171-r10 to eudev-1.2-r1. So by default I'm moving from a newer udev than this thread is discussing to an older eudev. Somewhere in this thread there is a pointer to a udev upgrade guide, where they mention making sure CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER is not set. I'm running 3.18.1 - I don't have that flag any more, but I have:
Code:
user@localhost ~ $ grep CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER /usr/src/linux/.config
user@localhost ~ $ grep _FW_ /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y

I believe in this respect I'm set, but am not 100% confident. Is CONFIG_FW_LOADER a rename of CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER?

Should I be moving to a newer version of eudev instead of the default 1.10-r2? I see earlier on this thread that eudev-2+ are masked.

On my system

Code:

grep CONFIG_FW_LOADER /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y

with

sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-3.18.1
sys-fs/eudev-2.1.1

Like you, I've purged all the *kit stuff and everything works fine/just like I remembered from before all that stuff got added... I've been meaning to dig out dbus, introspection, etc too (below is my current USE), but I haven't had time. Let us know how that all works out for you.

USE=-kde -systemd -pulseaudio -upower -gnome -gnome-keyring -gnome-online-accounts -consolekit -policykit
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
Next I saw that I was removing udev-216 and installing eudev-1.10-r2. The title of this thread is something about moving from udev-171-r10 to eudev-1.2-r1. So by default I'm moving from a newer udev than this thread is discussing to an older eudev.

eudev-1.10-r2 is a newer version than eudev-1.2-r1. Version points are not decimal points; trailing zeros are significant, and 10 is greater than 2.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurly wrote:
depontius wrote:
Next I saw that I was removing udev-216 and installing eudev-1.10-r2. The title of this thread is something about moving from udev-171-r10 to eudev-1.2-r1. So by default I'm moving from a newer udev than this thread is discussing to an older eudev.

eudev-1.10-r2 is a newer version than eudev-1.2-r1. Version points are not decimal points; trailing zeros are significant, and 10 is greater than 2.

Oops. Thanks on that one. I just finished weekly updates, then did the move from udev to eudev on this system. This response is typed after a reboot, so all went well.
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you guys document what you can, here?
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Eudev
Thanks.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is wondering about newer versions...

I migrated from udev-216 to eudev-1.10-r2. Simple 'emerge eudev'.

I needed to create the link in /etc/init.d from net.lo to net.eth0 and add net.eth0 to the default runlevel (remove the unused interface from default or it will generate nuisance errors). I opted to leave the unused interface in /etc/init.d just in case (this way I don't need to remember what it was, non-intuitive name that it is).

Thanks for the info.
Myu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pjp,

Thanks for the info as well, I just made the switch easily from the very same version(s). Indeed the network interface name change back to the old convention with eudev.
jhon987
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've switched to eudev too, and I've got to hand it to the person who came up with the name: eudev (sounds like eeyew-dev) :lol:
virtguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks to all for their input in this thread , its a goldmine ! :D
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've switched to eudev too, and I've got to hand it to the person who came up with the name: eudev (sounds like eeyew-dev)

I think of it as the Greek prefix eu, meaning good.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: