New nvidia card and problems with video playback [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: New nvidia card and problems with video playback [solved] Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm struggling with video playback issues a new Zotac GT610 nvidia card that I had to install because my older Geforce FX5200 was no longer supported. The computer is an older model (Dell Dimension 8300 from around 2002).

In any event, when I play most videos, there are these 'glitches'. I don't think it's tearing, but it's along the horizontal access. It's not in every part of the video, though. Some videos stutter, including one that played fine with my older card; mplayer now says my system is too slow.

So, I'm at a bit of a loss here as to what to do.

Best,

Alex

Last edited by evoweiss on Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
In case you use the nouveau driver, this page might help to setup your card. Your card is a "VP5" and needs the vdpau USE flag enabled. There's some help on mplayer also. It seems to be a good card!
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost+found wrote:
Hi,
In case you use the nouveau driver, this page might help to setup your card. Your card is a "VP5" and needs the vdpau USE flag enabled. There's some help on mplayer also. It seems to be a good card!

I'm using the nvidia binary blob. I thought I had the vdpau use flag enabled, but it was set to libvdpau for some reason. I will change it and see if that makes a difference.

Best,

Alex
lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one issue with VDPAU (could be a Nouveau bug too). It freezes my desktop when playing *.wmv files, so I didn't add ffwmv3vdpau to /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf.

Cheers
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost+found wrote:
I've got one issue with VDPAU (could be a Nouveau bug too). It freezes my desktop when playing *.wmv files, so I didn't add ffwmv3vdpau to /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf.

So, after correcting the vdpau entry in make.conf and re-emerging, the one video that was just not able to play now seems to play fine. Whether the artifacts are there on the other video, I don't know, but I tend to doubt they will be. If problems continue or new problems emerge, I may re-open this query, but I will mark it as solved for now.

Thanks again,

Alex
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: