ALSA and HDMI
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ximik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: ALSA and HDMI Reply with quote

Ok, i spent like few hours trying to make my system work with monitor with speakers. It works somehow (with aplay, but not from chromium or VLC), but

1. I can't change HDMI audio volume via KMix (or alsamixer). Ok, i've added new Softvol controller, but it doesn't make sense to me, because i should change everything with PCM/Master instead (this is why we are having it in ALSA, right?). Also i can't mute it from alsamixer (KMix mutes only left channel). So it sucks.
2. Seems like it can't work with both soundcards. The most obvious use-case is when i plug the speakers the sound should go to them, otherwise - to HDMI.

Will PulseAudio or JACK or smth else will fix this issue? I just need Master sound controller and be able to change where to output sound from ALL applications in the system (better it should be auto-detected).

Thanks.

UPD: Just for those who have similar problem. Seems like the best option for now is having pulseaudio with two separated volume mixings. KMix works just find with them and you can set the master channel to the one you're using now.
lilrc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my laptop I can select HDMI sound in VLC. Try to go into Tools->Preferences and choose Audio. You can then select ALSA as output module (you built vlc with alsa, right?) and then select the device. Hopefully some device is HDMI.

Please post the output of
Code:
aplay -L

Yes, probably pulseaudio could help you. I prefer not to use pulseaudio, though, since I think it is bloat. I recommend you to solve the problem with alsa only. Anyway, if you install pulseaudio and the pavucontrol program you can set the sound card configuration. Hopefully you will be able to choose HDMI.

EDIT: Oh, sorry. I didn't read your UPD properly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: