unstall sendmail
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrrhik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: unstall sendmail Reply with quote

a friend of mine happened to point out to me that gentoo came with sendmail already on it... I found this rather amusing, as it's kinda famous for being so buggy. anyway, I haven't been using gentoo all that long, and I've never had to uninstall a program that I didn't install with emerge. so how would I go about getting rid of it?
Barkotron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo doesn't come with anything on it unless you install it, and certainly not sendmail: I've never installed or uninstalled sendmail from any of my boxes, and none of them have it.

You can tell whether you installed sendmail or not by doing an emerge -s sendmail, which will tell you if you have it installed and which version is installed if you do.
pyrrhik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that, and it said it wasn't installed, but even still, when I typed sendmail, I'd get the message
Code:
sendmail: No recipients supplied, mail will not be sent
I've never heard of a program that wasn't installed that still have any form of error message, I find it rather strange.
Barkotron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I get:

Code:
root@funkygibbons: ->sendmail
bash: sendmail: command not found

Although, looking at it, I did have ssmtp on here for some reason, which appears to be a dependency of something (I'm trying to find out what) in my world file.

When I re-emerge ssmtp, I get the same error message you do.

Right then. Vixie-cron has ssmtp as a dependency. I have no idea why. I don't see any reason to have any mail components on this box, so I'm going to see if the other crons have this kind of dependency as well. It's been working perfectly well with the injected ssmtp I had before, so it should work again without, shouldn't it?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: