Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is it sure updating Gentoo on a daily basis?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amulet_linux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Is it sure updating Gentoo on a daily basis? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of using cron and the lvm snapshots
Maybe using my LVM snapshot partition will it be really sure if I take the snapshot before the update, what do you think?
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Why it isn't/wouldn't? Reply with quote

Why it isn't sure to update Gentoo for you? Ask that question to yourself first before... asking others about it.
Is there any chance that you're using unstable crap and/out of the tree experimental ebuild/software?
If so, stick to the stable arch and update daily if you want. There aren't daily breakages for sure unless you're doing some unstable experiment with your OS. If ever there is, a breakage that is, the forums would be full of tips and tricks. So remove the unstable software/ebuild and stick to stable arch for the time being to be able to threw away those worries of yours.

Take care (of your OS.)
amulet_linux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Why it isn't/wouldn't? Reply with quote

tclover wrote:
Why it isn't sure to update Gentoo for you? Ask that question to yourself first before... asking others about it.
Is there any chance that you're using unstable crap and/out of the tree experimental ebuild/software?
If so, stick to the stable arch and update daily if you want. There aren't daily breakages for sure unless you're doing some unstable experiment with your OS. If ever there is, a breakage that is, the forums would be full of tips and tricks. So remove the unstable software/ebuild and stick to stable arch for the time being to be able to threw away those worries of yours.

Take care (of your OS.)

Sometimes I can be paranoid, so I take a lot of measures before anything, the main reason for this is not allowing my Gentoo to be outdated ^^ , It could be obsession, maybe, but I used to use Arch by the way
I always stick to the stable arch, then I'm going to try this, thank you
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, you know, could every few days create a stage4 tarball (system backup) as a fall-back plan and after that

do the insane things you like to tinker with and have fun :lol: <--- that's me sometimes

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if you want an easer to manage, incremental backup you could give rsnapshot a try.

I like it because I can keep the stuff that changes up to date as, such as /home, with an entire month on file in a space effective way. The less sensitive stuff goes weekly and the base system goes monthly.

By the way, unstable is much more stable than arch in my experience. You need to be seriously involved in overlays to get that kind of craziness. In my experience, anyway.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience, running unstable branch (without any overlays) is pretty safe overall. The main thing is that you encounter issues sooner that stable branch, but if you look at the history. The problems you encounter in unstable, you will are going to encounter when the package gets stabilized anyways (look at gcc, perl, and lvm updates for case in point). How I see it, running stable branch just gives you a false sense of security, as the person is not taking package updates seriously. The main point I am getting at, is regardless if you run stable, unstable, or hardened, don't be lazy with managing your system. Keeping a backup of your information is always a safe route to go by. I tend to not do backups, but I'm not afraid to lose everything on my system either (I knowingly do this risk, as I use my system to learn from my mistakes).

As far as updating daily, I used to do that for a while till I switched to only weekly. Going either way is both pretty safe, as long as the system is regularly updated (from what I've seen, monthly updates tend to have more issues, so is a riskier position).
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for stable on my laptop that I installed last week, simply because I expect there are less frequent updates there. I don't want to be compiling for 10 hours every time I turn it on (it can often go weeks without being used).
amulet_linux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:

By the way, unstable is much more stable than arch in my experience. You need to be seriously involved in overlays to get that kind of craziness. In my experience, anyway.

Really? Sounds good, actually I'm very quiet , so I''ll be fine. I now realize that daily updates are really simple in stable branch -I haven't used testing/unstable-, I started from Monday updating on this way
amulet_linux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct85711 wrote:
monthly updates tend to have more issues, so is a riskier position).

em.. Yes, you are right, I've updating my Gentoo monthly, I've had to solve some issues each time. So I now prefer to stick to the daily updates
I know it's important to do backups, just remember the NeedySegoon's signature:

"Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail"
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big thing I would say, is take a look at what all is being updated daily. For my system, daily updates were pointless, when only a hand full of packages got updated, compared to weekly, where I had maybe a dozen. For me, it resulted down the part of where I spent more time recompiling packages daily then I do once a week (also helps avoid the occasional issue of checksum being wrong).

On backups I have the view of, why back up something that isn't too important. (Critical systems are a different story, so doesn't apply.) From how I see it, programs and the OS isn't too important, when it's easily to replace that and get back up running within a day (it doesn't take that long to reinstall the entire system). Personal documents on the other-hand isn't so easy to replace, so those are what I backup. On Neddy's signature, I tend to fall into a 3rd group as I've had numerous HD's fail, but I don't do backups (I don't view any personal documents that important to backup right now). I also have a strict policy on my systems, that when my system(s) is compromised (i.e. being hacked, un-authorized login), I do a immediate HD wipe and start all over (nothing is saved) with no exceptions to that rule. (I've had to do that a couple times and lost some important documents too, but I couldn't guarantee it wasn't compromised so it was lost).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: