Software RAID ? (etc-update went wrong)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Software RAID ? (etc-update went wrong) Reply with quote

After my last emerge -u world I saw quite a lot of etc-file needed to be updated (bit less than thirty) so I started etc-update and updated everything. BUT not all went well, for the next time I booted up Gentoo (my family needs windoze for several things and I'm not on the PC a lot) gentoo wanted to start software RAID but couldn't find any software RAID packages installed (duh). Appearantly I accidentally uncommented some lines that told gentoo to start software RAID. Every time I boot up I have to press ctrl-D to continue booting or I will have to do a hard-reboot (shutdown isn't available in the 'maintainer mode').
I have looked around in /etc but couldn't find the file that was causing all this. Can someone help me locate the file and delete/comment the appropriate lines ?
Thanks in advance!
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"cd /etc/init.d; grep RAID *" showed that software RAID is started in /etc/init.d/checkfs and stopped in /etc/init.d/halt. The RAID packages are installed by default, so it's okay for the init script maintainers to assume they exist.

With that in mind, you can just comment out the respective sections of each and everything should be happy. ;)
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, upon further inspection, you have to have a) the RAID tools installed, b) a RAID configuration file (/etc/raidtab), and c) the MD driver loaded or compiled into your kernel (/proc/mdstat). So, un-do one of those and RAID won't start up.
iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't start-up that's the most irritating thing, because it causes the boot-up procedure to stop, but thanks for the tip I'll see if it works tonight (I'm in windows now).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: