VirtualBox not detecting 3d accelleration [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: VirtualBox not detecting 3d accelleration [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Ok, this one's a pig, I've just upgraded my computer hardware (old hdds, new everything else), and everything looks like it's working fine, except virtualbox, which is giving me this error message:

Code:
Failed to start the virtual machine Main-emulated.

This VM was configured to use 3D acceleration. However, the 3D support of the host is not working properly and the VM cannot be started. To fix this problem, either fix the host 3D support (update the host graphics driver?) or disable 3D acceleration in the VM settings (VERR_NOT_AVAILABLE).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {db7ab4ca-2a3f-4183-9243-c1208da92392}

There's a bunch of topics on the Ubuntu forums about this, but they all end without explaining what they did to fix it.

Any ideas?

(And before anyone suggests it, I can't turn off 3d accelleration, the option is uneditable for some reason, and my graphics drivers are working fine (DotA2 plays on max settings without a hiccup))

Last edited by Illiander on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you probalby need to set it up again. I assume you emulate windows in it right? so it is more a virtualbox / windows tm issue

can windows handle completly changed hardware? anyway I think you are faster at the end result redoing it from scratch for this.
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the error messages are saying that it's a *host* problem, not a client problem.

It doesn't even let you *try* to boot the VM, so I really don't see how this can be an issue with anything installed inside the VM.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To set it up to make it new. Not fixing hte old thing. Therefore whatever host / client. Just make it from scratch as it seems to be a non fixable problem

=> This VM was configured to use 3D acceleration. However, the 3D support of the host is not working properly and the VM cannot be started. <= have you done anything in taht direction? According to your error message just fix the 3d acceleration
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3d Accelleration on my *host* (Gentoo) is working just fine. WINE detects it fine, native Dota2 detects it fine. Both run like a charm.

Also, I created a new, clean VM, to check, and it has *excatly* the same problem. I can't enable 3d accelleration in the (clean, brand-new) VM because VirtualBox doesn't think I have a graphics card plugged in for some reason, so it won't even let me *boot* the VM. It's not that the client Windows isn't detecting the graphics card, it's that VirtualBox isn't even letting it try. (Either that or the error message is just plain misleading, but it's still not even letting the client try to run)

And I think it goes without saying that this was working just fine before my hardware upgrade. (Upgrade was nVidia card to nVidia card, AMD processor to AMD processor, in case that matters)

I'm not interested in rebuilding the VM from scratch - the whole point of the VM is so that I can keep everything set up exactly the same (and some of the applications on there don't have installers available anymore, so I *can't* rebuild it. That's why I put them on the VM in the first place) So please, if you don't know anything useful, say so (or not), don't clog up the thread with the equivilent of "reboot it, if that doesn't work reinstall Windows". Because that's not helpful.
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread at the virtualbox forums:
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61977&hilit=3d+acceleration
looks like it's reporting this same error, caused by nvidia-drivers 337.88, fixed by upgrading to 344.11. Could that be it?
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on nvidia-drivers-343.22-r2, so that's certainly possible.

Unfortunately, that's the latest in portage, but I'll keep this in mind for when it gets updated.
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could mask it and downgrade to 334.21 until then.
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Not sure if ressurecting an old topic of my own is considered bad form here, sorry)

I've finally got a pressing need for some of the 3d applications that are in my VM, and my graphics card is new enough that downgrading isn't an option.

What's the "right" way to manually install the latest nvidia drivers, so that emerge doesn't get confused when they hit gentoo officially?

Edit: And to answer my own question, the answer seems to be the "package.provided" file, unless something has changed?

Edit2: And VirtualBox is *still* not recognising my Nvidia Driver...

Code:
glxgears -info
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
GL_RENDERER   = GeForce GTX 980/PCIe/SSE2
GL_VERSION    = 4.5.0 NVIDIA 346.47
GL_VENDOR     = NVIDIA Corporation
GL_EXTENSIONS =... [big pile you're probably not interested in]

So, any more ideas?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illiander wrote:
What's the "right" way to manually install the latest nvidia drivers, so that emerge doesn't get confused when they hit gentoo officially?

Edit: And to answer my own question, the answer seems to be the "package.provided" file, unless something has changed?

Hmm, the right way would be to edit the ebuild and save it under a new version in your local overlay.

Can't help with wider issue, sorry.
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrading to latest VirtualBox *and* nVidia drivers seems to have fixed the issue.

Note: that's nVidia 346.47 and VirtualBox 4.3.20, neither of which are marked as stable for amd64 systems (the nVidia driver doesn't even seem to have an ebuild)

Here's hoping that's just from lack of testing/interest, but from a quick run (<2 hours) they seem ok.

Marking as "Solved".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: