Steam on Wine - Crash
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordBSoD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Steam on Wine - Crash Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I hope here's the right place to post the issues I am currently having with Wine. I' aware that there's a native version of Steam for Linux out in the wild, but, as the major part of my games in my (pretty small) Steam library only runs on Windows, there doesn't seem to be a way around using stuff like wine - yet I'm probably a total Gentoo greenhorn (but hey, after all it's still possible to learn :D).

What I've run into: Everytime I try to launch Steam (via wine), it crashes. Not immediately, meaning I am still able to login, but in the end, the main window does not appear. Instead, this gets pops up in my terminal window:
Code:
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-close.c: 764: _dl_close: Assertion `map->l_init_called' failed!

So I guess there's something wrong going on in connection with glibc?

So far, I am using the ~amd64 Gentoo ebuild (also mesa, xorg are ~amd64 + abi_x86_32 on my system, as I've read that the x86 baselibs seem to be pretty outdated sometimes). Oh yeah, and the glibc's ~amd64, too. That fixed an issue I've had earlier.

Does anyone know what's going on there and what's causing this conflict? Because currently I'm pretty clueless (I already tried re-emerging glibc, wine and a few other packages, sadly with no luck).
Funnily enough, I'm also using Gentoo on another machine which doesn't seem to have this kind of problem.

Many thanks in advance!
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Steam on Wine - Crash Reply with quote

LordBSoD wrote:
Hello everyone,

What I've run into: Everytime I try to launch Steam (via wine), it crashes. Not immediately, meaning I am still able to login, but in the end, the main window does not appear. Instead, this gets pops up in my terminal window:
Code:
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-close.c: 764: _dl_close: Assertion `map->l_init_called' failed!

So I guess there's something wrong going on in connection with glibc?

So far, I am using the ~amd64 Gentoo ebuild (also mesa, xorg are ~amd64 + abi_x86_32 on my system, as I've read that the x86 baselibs seem to be pretty outdated sometimes). Oh yeah, and the glibc's ~amd64, too. That fixed an issue I've had earlier.

Does anyone know what's going on there and what's causing this conflict? Because currently I'm pretty clueless (I already tried re-emerging glibc, wine and a few other packages, sadly with no luck).
Funnily enough, I'm also using Gentoo on another machine which doesn't seem to have this kind of problem.

Many thanks in advance!

I realize this is an older post. If you have solved the problem please edit your subject line and add SOLVED to it.

Otherwise Steam should run fine in wine. So my questions to you would be
1. Are you using an entire unstable gentoo build or just a few packages and if so what is in your /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords and /etc/portage/package.use files?
2. What version of wine are you using?
3. Why was it necessary to install an unstable glibc version?
4. What games do you need to run in Steam.

What is the output of
Code:
emerge -pv wine
And the output of
Code:
emerge --info
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: