View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piotr5
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: how do you configure yelp? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a gnome3-app that can display manpages and maybe info-pages. I want to enter the title and the related help should be displayed. in ubuntu I did fire up yelp and browse into the info or man subsection -- there all available help was listed, nothing left out. in gentoo this does not exist. why? without gnome-shell started, I cannot get yelp to display what I'm looking for, unless I open up a terminal and type "yelp info:" and the title. but even that doesn't work. anybody got some knowledge on how this can be configured? is there some file I need to copy over from ubuntu linux?

so, in a DE, what do you use to display the various library-functions available as man-pages? what do you use instead of "man memcpy"? does your ide have those help-pages integrated?
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the app in question sys-apps/man or sys-apps/man-db ?

Let's just say yelp is much dumber under the hood than you'd expect it to be - it needs to be the later.
piotr5
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, that solved the problem of man-pages being inaccessible. maybe in the future yelp should have a use-flag to drag in the optional dependency on man-db?

anyway, does anybody know of some program to generate a yelp-page for all the man and info pages? also, are there some hooks to portage to execute such a program at every addition of docs? what about the various html pages in /usr/share/doc/* ? shouldn't there be some xml page with links for each of them, and maybe to the text-files too? what I really would wish is to have the docs sorted by portage-category...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: