Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] UEFI and Grub and Hybrid graphics.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sapnesh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] UEFI and Grub and Hybrid graphics. Reply with quote

Hello Guys.
1. I have secureboot disabled and legacy mode enabled in my laptop, Does that still mean I have a UEFI firmware and have to follow GPT partitioning table?( I don't use No Windows!)
2. The Grub installation part in Gentoo amd64 handbook doesnt specify much about efi install. As it just says to install it on /dev/sdx. But the grub2 documentation in gentoo says something else regarding efi( platform specifying in make.conf and using target=). Is it okay if i just follow the handbook steps even if i have a efi firmware?.
3. I have Intel/radeon graphics cards in my laptop and in my previous experiences with arch I've had loads of trouble setting them up and I surely don't want to mess gentoo up after the install.I have read most of the hybrid Graphics related topics in this forum and its all confusing to me. Should I just forget about the radeon and use Intel? Or is there a working method? If there is, Please point me to that.

Last edited by sapnesh on Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar hardware in my desktop. Intel+Radeon and EFI. I didn't bother with installing Grub. Just compiled EFI support into kernel and placed kernel into directory where EFI is looking for OS image to boot. I kind of like the GPT setup :)

Radeon and Intel also worked almost without problems. I've decided to go with fglrx and followed http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Fglrx . It gives instructions for hybrid setup as well. Funny enough, the Fglrx complains about kernel settings during install, but it works. Few times I've tried to get rid of support for Intel, but then I get black screen during booting. So I've left everything as described on that page, though I don't see how to use Intel card, since Xorg uses only Radeon card.
sapnesh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry for the late reply.
"By placing the kernel where the EFI looks for OS to boot" Did you mean you used efibootmgr and created the efi entry?. Thank you for the info about the graphic-card drivers I will surely try that this time.
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if you are booting into BIOS legacy mode, you do not need to have an efi system partition, but rather would use MBR. I think you have to use old style partitioning, as well.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Samsung m.2 NVME pcie-3.0
Etc....
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapnesh wrote:
I am sorry for the late reply.
"By placing the kernel where the EFI looks for OS to boot" Did you mean you used efibootmgr and created the efi entry?. Thank you for the info about the graphic-card drivers I will surely try that this time.

No. In my case efibootmgr simply didn't work. I mean UEFI didn't respect any of my settings (for whatever reason). But I've simply replaced windows boot-loader with linux kernel in EFI system partition (of course, I've disabled secure boot in BIOS and enabled EFI Boot Stub in kernel.) EFI is fairly simple. Internally it keeps path to the boot-loader and it does not make any difference which boot-loader is that. The only problem is to find this path. Which is minor problem. Probably command
Code:
efibootmgr -v
will display it for you. On my PC it produced few lines, one of them contained

Quote:

UEFI OS HD(1,800,63801,d171fd0a-5508-4eb4-a43d-d0571f5e02bd)File(\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI)

So, I've just replaced file /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi on first partition.

Note. On another laptop, I've used similar approach to create Dual-Boot. In this case I've used rEFInd boot manager. So, I've renamed Windows boot-loader and then placed rEFInd instead of it. It automatically found renamed bootloader for Windows and Linux kernels. The only problem was Windows updates. They stubbornly replaced rEFInd boot-loader with Windows boot-loader. Good thing I don't boot Windows very often :)
sapnesh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked! Thank you!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: