View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xamien
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Many happy thanks. Reply with quote

For one reason or another (I think because I got lazy and started copying over old configs and just using those) I stopped keeping up with your site until I suddenly realized yesterday that your site wasn't being updated anymore and went looking for the reason.

You made my life a lot easier in managing my systems for years. In large part because of you, I'm proud to have been a continuous single boot user of Gentoo since the days that you were required to start from a stage1 tarball. (I'll be damned if I'm forced to use Windows any more than I absolutely have to, like at work. I keep begging for a linux workstation.) I'm sad to see you go but I completely understand and support your decision to move on to other things. I wish you nothing but the best in the coming years.

That aside, I was wondering if I could get a basic idea of your principles in creating the seeds. Is it basically just the default settings that come with the standard gentoo-sources package? (Doesn't seem so, since it likes to turn on a ton of stuff I wouldn't expect even on a basic email reader/word processing machine.) Is it sufficient at this point to just use the 3.12.1 config, do make oldconfig, and assume that it would more or less match what you would do? I feel like have a rough idea but with the wife and kids grabbing at my attention all the time, it's hard to take time to study the work you've done.

Thanks for all the work and smiles over the years. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Best,
X
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the settings came from experimentation on my own systems as to what did and didn't work. As I looked at the kernel configurations of others, I realized that a lot of the settings that were turned on were that way to plug this or that new bit of code, without regard to whether or not it was needed to make the computer run properly.

Some are defaults. Not everything in make newconfig was there to push new code. Some were quite needed, as I found out being on the receiving end of a kernel panic or twenty. That also taught me to always keep one kernel that DOES work properly up and able to be used in order to further experimentation.

As Gentoo evolved, so did it's requirements for certain portions of the kernel to be set. When I first started, all ALSA settings had to be modules, or sound wouldn't work. For some reason or other, ALSA options now have to be set to 'Y', or you get no sound. There are a few other things that changed along the way, and as soon as I noted the changes, I listed and updated the seeds.

I am glad that my seeds were helpful to you, and so many others. As a firm believer in open source, to me, it was a chance to put my two cents into a world that was denied me for the want of an extened BASIC cartridge and a disk drive for my TI 99-4/a. I'm not a master coder, but I did make something that helped many people, more than I may ever know.

But yes, I did need to move on in my reality. The seeds provided much, much more than a way to help make it just that much easier to go for the gusto of Linux, specifically Gentoo Linux. If only for that reason, I am proud of what I accomplished from just a silly idea that I thought might bring me out of my shell.

Cheers,
Pappy
xsilentmurmurx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Pappy

Sorry I am late to this thread, but I noticed that your website, does not have any of the x86_64 nor x86 kernel seeds up any more. Whenever I click on either of the links I gives me a 404 error. How is one supposed to download a kernel seed now that site is not fully functioning like it used to?

Thanks for all you've done for the linux world Pappy! :)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xsilentmurmurx,

kernel-seeds was taken over by funtoo a year or two ago. I don't know how or if its being maintained.
However a look at the seeds links shows http://kernel-seeds.org:8080/seeds/64_bit/ and http://kernel-seeds.org:8080/seeds/32_bit/

That 8080 is a non standard port for http. It may be blocked by your firewall.

There is a mirror at kernel-seeds.grytpype-thynne.org/ which is just as Pappy left it but I'm dropping that server before 9 March, so that mirror will go away.

-- edit --

It works if you change the 8080 to 80 or just delete it but thats not the page you are supposed to see.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to know there is still a mirror, however hidden it may presently be.

Cheers,
Pappy
MrIncredible
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It lives on! http://kernel-seeds.bloodnoc.org/

FYI The state of minimal Linux in 2018 is abysmal. Most pages and links link to distros that need at least 200MB of disk and 512MB of RAM. Tiny core doesn't boot on 586,686,Athlone,P3,P4.... I've been recovering old software from old computers... after 2 days of trying other distros I just compiled my own.

Spent 4 hours configuring a kernel that doesn't panic. Wish I had found this a few days sooner...... !
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may or may not be interested in Pappy's preconfigs! where pappy_mcfae has been posting configs for vanilla kernels. Most recently here for 4.15.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that here. I forgot about these discussion threads completely.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:puff Puff PUFF:

:Cough Cough COUGH:

Wow, man! That's some awesome source. Here! Give it a try!

:PUFF Puff puff:

:COUGH Cough cough:

Yeah, man. :cough: :hack: That's some awesome source! :wheeze:

Okay, so it's probably good, but I haven't set it up on my machine yet.

Considering the new kernel version, the jokes most certainly write themselves. How could I release the 4.20.0 seeds without making a weed reference? I am only human.

32-bit
64-bit

As always, enjoy...

especially with your favorite herbal supplement.

:cough cough cough:,
Pappy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: