What options for Wine?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cellmate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: What options for Wine? Reply with quote

I have been a regular Wine user for a long time, but I used a precompiled version under OpenSUSE. Now it appears I can't get the Gentoo port to work.

I mean, I get to a point where there are no error messages, but the games look so ugly that no-one can play this; the very same games I have long time played with precompiled Wine!

Draw order (winetricks) and such options don't seem to change anything, but my problem definitely has to do with graphics. I use nvidia-drivers-343.36.

Can someone please give me a hint what options works for him/her? I try to play Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2 at the moment, but it's only a first attempt.

PS. I tried WIN32 and WIN64, nearly each and every Wine version in the portage tree, both stable and staging, I tried changing the USE flags, different kernels and drivers, and, of course, I re-installed the Windows software every time, with and without MS DirectX and so on. The games have a no-CD patch so there shouldn't be trouble with DRM.

PPS. Since there is no Wine 1.7.27 in the portage tree, I compiled it manually (since it is recommended by playonlinux). But the result looks exactly the same: There are only frames visible, but the content is missing. I have no idea what goes wrong.
Cellmate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried with a OpenSUSE plain installation out-of-the-box, Windows files just unpacked (DA2) , d3dx11_43 added. Works perfectly.

Anyone got a working Wine under Gentoo? Anyone ever tried?
hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do native games work? Maybe you hit the opengl-eselect mess. Running unstable arch?
grot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people here have it working - there are threads on how skyrim runs great, etc.

I had wine running really well under Arch linux not too long ago. What's interesting about wine is it uses native linux libraries in place of ones which windows supplies. This means that if you're missing that library, wine will struggle. Check the logs for erors, and check sites like the arch wiki which libraries you might need.

Such as this one for Starcraft 2 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/StarCraft_2

On Arch I kind of lost track of everything I was installing, which is part of why I'm moving to Gentoo.. I'll try to keep my wine-related-library-list sorted, although there is probably someone else here that already has - this part of the forum moves really slow though.

I didn't realize wine ran so well on OpenSUSE.
grot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget - for most libraries you install, you'll want to install them 32-bit, or use the emul-linux thing

edit: actually, thinking about it, I might be wrong about that. Wine on gentoo had a lot of libraries installed as dependencies, and with the way wine works it seems odd that it might use a library that wasn't simply listed as a dependency. Maybe dependency hunting won't be a thing.. but I think it must be, since games that worked on the first try on arch aren't working on gentoo..

but again, look at the error logs, I've always found them pretty helpful and straightforward
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: