Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
Why hang on to something that is old?

Because some older rigs don't run KDE4 very well or at all. KDE3 is a lot lighter. I tried KDE4 on a friends rig and it was dog slow and unusable. KDE3 on the other hand works fairly well.

That's why some want to keep KDE3 around.

:D :D
Cooler Master HAF-932 Case
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE3 would still be a damn good DE.
KDE4 is, in many respects, too, but it has had a lot less time for the polish it still needs.

FIN - now let's get back to your topic. :)
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
Why hang on to something that is old? Is the guy going to maintain the older versions of all dependent packages (like QT) as well? This seems like a borken path full of potholes and security holes all over.

BTW, 4.7.2 works great for me. Better than 3.5.10 in every way.

You should ask the OpenBSD people that question:

http://www.openbsd.org/50.html

They are advertising KDE 3.5.10 support. I take it that they don't know much about security. ;)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess advertising old KDE3 is easier than implementing the necessary dependencies of KDE4 that GNU/Linux provides ;)
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
I guess advertising old KDE3 is easier than implementing the necessary dependencies of KDE4 that GNU/Linux provides ;)

What dependencies? KDE4 works on FreeBSD. ;)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is udev. As long as KDE4 supports hal, fine - but hal was deprecated two years ago and has been dead for some time.

Then there's KMS/in-kernel DRM, a rather indirect dependency. KDE4 really does not make much sense without proper hardware rendering. The Linux open source drivers are often enough struggling with kwin/plasma, and right now developers are killing off legacy mode-setting support in their userspace drivers and removing old cruft / DRI1 code from mesa. As X is moving on, BSD/Solaris will have to stay on old versions in the foreseeable future. And that will for sure make KDE4 harder to maintain, as developers are already speculating about the use of supporting BSD/Solaris at all in the future.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Well there is udev. As long as KDE4 supports hal, fine - but hal was deprecated two years ago and has been dead for some time.

Then there's KMS/in-kernel DRM, a rather indirect dependency. KDE4 really does not make much sense without proper hardware rendering. The Linux open source drivers are often enough struggling with kwin/plasma, and right now developers are killing off legacy mode-setting support in their userspace drivers and removing old cruft / DRI1 code from mesa. As X is moving on, BSD/Solaris will have to stay on old versions in the foreseeable future. And that will for sure make KDE4 harder to maintain, as developers are already speculating about the use of supporting BSD/Solaris at all in the future.

KDE4 has an internal abstraction layer to permit it to use either HAL or udev.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:

KDE4 has an internal abstraction layer to permit it to use either HAL or udev.

As for BSD/Solaris, nearly all FreeBSD users that use desktop environments use KDE, so the proportion of KDE users using FreeBSD is disproportionate to what you would expect.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I indeed got a different impression, e.g. reading this: http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2011/08/thoughts-about-kde-plasma-on-non-linux-systems/

Quote:
...Personally I do not know any core developer of the KDE Plasma Workspaces using a non-Linux operating system. So you would expect that we have lots of bug reports for the non-Linux OS. Given that we already have hundreds of bug reports in KWin just about the stack on Linux which we use, there have to be even more for the non-Linux systems. No dev uses it, it gets not as tested as our Linux system, so there have to be bugs! So here the stats for KWin over the last 12 month:

Linux: 1054 opened bugs
FreeBSD: 4 opened bugs
Solaris: 3 open bugs

...unless KDE4 works incredibly well on BSD :lol:
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
I indeed got a different impression, e.g. reading this: http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2011/08/thoughts-about-kde-plasma-on-non-linux-systems/

Quote:
...Personally I do not know any core developer of the KDE Plasma Workspaces using a non-Linux operating system. So you would expect that we have lots of bug reports for the non-Linux OS. Given that we already have hundreds of bug reports in KWin just about the stack on Linux which we use, there have to be even more for the non-Linux systems. No dev uses it, it gets not as tested as our Linux system, so there have to be bugs! So here the stats for KWin over the last 12 month:

Linux: 1054 opened bugs
FreeBSD: 4 opened bugs
Solaris: 3 open bugs

...unless KDE4 works incredibly well on BSD :lol:

It is possible. They put a great deal of effort into maintaining it:

http://blogs.freebsdish.org/avilla/2011/09/26/kde-4-7-1-amd64-packages-now-available-for-freebsd/
anest
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate to say that, but THIS IS *OFFTOPIC*, guys!
ps: i'm interesting in KDE-3.5 too. my productivity extremely decreases on kde-4 and many people said same.
pps: why someone telling me what is better for me, without asking me first what *really* better for me? its simply not fair.
non7top
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my effort to port Trinity to gentoo. It's still work in progress, only kdelibs, kdebase, kdenetwork and amarok are building, and it doesn't appear to be running at all.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

git://github.com/non7top/kde-trinity.git
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First a caveat. This is simply a FWIW post, as I'm certainly not trying to convert Gentoo users interested in kde3 to another Distro.

I just happen to see this, and thought it might be interesting to look at how OpenSuse runs kde3 on their brand new version 12.1, offering official pre-configured kde3 live cd's, both x86_64 and i686 iso images. Think I'll download and burn one myself, if only just to look at how OpenSuse implements it in a current linux framework.

http://lizards.opensuse.org/2011/12/02/opensuse-12-1-kde3-livecd

Brief quote:
Quote:
As KDE3 is again part of the official openSUSE 12.1 repositories (thanks to all who made this happen), I took the chance to create an installable livecd. Besides a preconfigured KDE3 desktop, it contains additional software like Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and LibreOffice. YaST2 is available for administrative tasks like system configuration or software management. The media does not contain all language packs due to size limitations, but they could be easily installed.

Also:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kde3
http://en.opensuse.org/KDE3 (kde3 wiki)
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.7.2 USE=experimental python3_11
anest
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news?
MurphyG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinity is alive and kicking. So far I've managed to build the base packages of version 14.0.0 on a current Gentoo and created an overlay for it:

https://bitbucket.org/mgebert/gentoo-trinity/overview

I can call startx from a root or user console and then starttde to get a working desktop, but currently tdm refuses to start a session.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: