winbind and networkmanager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zebbedi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: winbind and networkmanager Reply with quote

I have a new laptop at work, which i've configured to logon to the windows domain using samba / winbind. I'm using a wireless connection on it so set it up using networkmanager.

If i login using a local account, which starts the wireless then the Active Directory authentication works perfectly in another terminal. However as soon as i log out of that account it no longer works (presumably because the wireless connection is dropped). I've configured samba and pam_winbind to use cached logins, which doesn't seem to work when the connection is dropped.

How can I work round this? It seems like i need the connection to authenticate, but I can't start the connection until I've authenticated.
PeGa!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happened to me some time ago but after a partition failure I reinstalled and now it is working. I'm not saying this is a solution, but I cannot say exactly what happened in the middle.

Some ideas:

- network manager service installed and running in default runlevel (that is, rc-update add NetworkManager default)
- I don't have networkmanager-qt, nor kde-misc/networkmanagement (I had networkmanagement before)
- I have plasma-nm
- Maybe install some cli client for NetworkManager?
- swtich to wicd? (terrible, but it could work)

Hope that helps,

Cheers!

Adopt an unanswered post.
zebbedi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've set the connection to be a 'sytem' connection which i think has resolved it. But i've also now got a docking station with a wired connection so haven't tested it 100%. I need to check it with no network connection to make sure i can still log in at all.
PeGa!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set an anacron script (or a custom initscript with a big sleep inside) to write a file if it can ping or connect to an external server.

The initscript way:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
start(){
  sleep 120
  ping -c1 google.com > /tmp/nettest.`date +%Y.%m.%d.%H.%M.log` 2>&1
}

Just an idea. Hope that helps.

Edit: You can also try to connect from the external network to a single port, like ssh.
Edit 2: That script above is by no means a valid init script. Please use the appropriate template, that is the working part.

Adopt an unanswered post.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: