View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chix4mat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: KDE rarely loads properly the first time Reply with quote

I've been having a strange KDE (4) issue for a while, and after much Googling and trial-and-error, I haven't been able to get to the bottom of it.

About 80% of the time I boot into KDE, it'll be a little broken. Keyboard shortcuts don't work, and certain KDE apps won't load as usual (eg: Klipper and KMix). Whenever this happens, the KMenu is not immediately usable, either - I'll have to wait about 30 seconds before the OS is actually usable. When KDE loads properly, I can use KMenu and load apps immediately.

This doesn't seem to be an issue with the boot process. If I boot into KDE and it's borked, I can go to a text terminal, kill KDM, and then reload it. After a couple of attempts, KDE might decide to load properly. It's hit-or-miss, but it loads improperly more often than not.

kdm.log has this to say:

Code:
klauncher(1473) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
kdmgreet(1467)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed:  "Not connected to D-Bus server"

kdmgreet(1467)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): No time zone information obtained from ktimezoned
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning:          Compat map for group 2 redefined
>                   Using new definition
> Warning:          Compat map for group 3 redefined
> Warning:          Compat map for group 4 redefined
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

That appears in the log even if it loads properly (the first time). It complains about dbus, but dbus is in fact working.

I should note that I am not sure if this is tied into the GPU driver or not. I've also been having odd issues with the proprietary NVIDIA driver, where if I install the current stable release through Portage (343.36), KDE won't load at all. By contrast, if I install the driver manually instead, it works. I've tried different driver versions through Portage, and all of them give me odd behavior (the latest unstable makes it so the text terminals (eg: Alt+Ctrl+F1) are just a black screen, whereas KDE is fine).

I am not sure what other information would be useful to include. I can't see anything in the Xorg.log that's out-of-the-ordinary, but I'll include it nonetheless:

http://pastebin.com/CphH03gG

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS: I should note that I've also gone to the extent of recompiling (-e) the entire system, and I also have this issue under a fresh KDE user account.
sebB
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've problems with kde too.
50% of time I've no sound applet, networkmanager take 40s to connect, and I'm unable to switch off the computer with the startup menu.
Clicking on shutdown does nothing
I need to reboot from terminal

I notice this with kernel 3.17.
With 3.16, everything goes well for now

I you use 3.17 can you try with 3.16?
novazur
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem here, for months.
And i had kernel 3.10...

I have to CTRL+ALT+F1, stop xdm, kill all processes remaining for my X user, then restart xdm, and I can log without any problem.
chix4mat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebB wrote:
I've problems with kde too.
50% of time I've no sound applet, networkmanager take 40s to connect, and I'm unable to switch off the computer with the startup menu.
Clicking on shutdown does nothing
I need to reboot from terminal

I notice this with kernel 3.17.
With 3.16, everything goes well for now

I you use 3.17 can you try with 3.16?

That describes my problems perfectly. Unfortunately, 3.16 is no longer in Portage (or the main Kernel.org site, for that matter), but I tried 3.12 and 3.14 and still had the same issue. I tried 3.18 as well but it won't boot on my Intel X99 machine.

novazur wrote:
I have the same problem here, for months.
And i had kernel 3.10...

I have to CTRL+ALT+F1, stop xdm, kill all processes remaining for my X user, then restart xdm, and I can log without any problem.

Yup - exactly. I am not sure when the problem began for me, exactly, because I tried to put it off for a while, but it just became WAY too frustrating. Sometimes I have to restart KDM ten times over before KDE will log in fine.

At this point I've sunk a lot of time into this, but I'll still continue to test out the odd thing. Maybe it's a hint we should start looking to upgrade to Plasma 5.
novazur
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chix4mat wrote:
Sometimes I have to restart KDM ten times over before KDE will log in fine.

Each time all process are killed, only ONE time is enough, for me.
thumper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar problems, after running /etc/init.d/xdm stop and deleting the kde related items in /var/tmp/ and rebooting my problem went away.

YMMV

George
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had (other + similar) problems with kde too.
The ~/.kde4 folder contained rc files from when kde4 started way back.
I cured it by moving this folder to a temp folder with kde shutdown.
I then restarted kde and configured it the way it was before,
this time with fresh rc's.
Gone were all my problems.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm. Yes I just want to lend some support to the idea that it could be your kde config files. I did a clean install (no remnant config files) last month of kde 4.14.3 (stable amd64) and it's about as close to perfect as I've ever seen from KDE. I'm also currently using the 3.17.7 kernel. But I'm using Nouveau and not the proprietary driver.
chix4mat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a ton for all of the replies!

After the last couple of reboots, I started to notice a trend. First off, I rebooted and went AFK for a few minutes, then came back and logged in... it was fine. So I began to wonder if I was just logging into KDE "too fast" - as in, before background stuffs have the chance to fully load. I am not sure what, though, because I've performed tests before where I disabled everything in my local.d folder and still had the issue. Perhaps it's exclusive to KDE, and not the underlying OS.

Nonetheless, I did a handful of tests, and so far that has held true. If I boot up and log in immediately, the desktop will be borked. If I kill kdm in a terminal, and reload it, and wait about a minute, KDE is fine after logging in. I rebooted a handful of times to test this theory, and so far it's been spot-on.

I am not settling on the fact that that's the entire problem just yet though... it could just be a massive fluke. But so far it seems hopeful.

Edit: Ugh, I guess it was just a fluke.

Edit: And I should mention, I tested each one of those solutions before, thumper, davidm, and gerard82, to no avail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: