1.4 Tarball Questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Normie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: 1.4 Tarball Questions Reply with quote

After seeing some of the other posts in the forums, I dug around ibiblio for a little while, and lo and behold, the 1.4 tarballs were there. Since I kinda need a webserver (among other things) for school, I figured I'd make a 2.5 gig partition for Gentoo (HD space is at a premium ATM)and install apache, php, mysql, etc. for use.

Now on to the point of my story. (;)) I already have a 1.2 CD, so in lieu of a proper ISO (as yet), I'd like to install a 1.4 system anyway.

1) If I wait for the official 1.4 ISO, will it be any different from using the 1.4 tarballs manually?

2) How would I go about using the 1.4 tarball? Can I pretty much follow the 1.2 install instructions, or are there any important changes? (with GCC or whatever... I worry that I'll somehow end up with the wrong GCC version and have to start over :oops:)

3) Do I need to change the following set of GCC 2.95.3 flags?
Code:

-O3 -mcpu=i686 -march=i686 -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -malign-functions=4

I got these from the FAQ on the Gentoo home page, and they always did the trick for me. Are there any obvious changes I can/should make for GCC 3.2? (I run a Pentium II, BTW).

I think that's about it--if there's any other seriously pertinent info, please tell me, my slow arse system (and for that matter, my patience) can't handle recompiling for one dumbass mistake (two mistakes, maybe, but not one ;))

-Ledneh -- "Sword-chucks, YO!"
El_Presidente_Pufferfish
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

march includes mcpu, 03 includes fomit-frame-pointer and you can do march=pentium2
there may be more, but thats all i know
1. no, gentoo is all up to date all the time, thats the idea
2. download the 1.4 tarball, and extract THAT instead of the 1.2 during install
Craigo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically follow the instructions how to setup gentoo, then BEFORE you extract stage 1 tarball.. do the following:

Code:

wget http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/build/.1.4/x86/stage1-x86-1.4.tbz2

Then untar it as usual, when you get to configure make.conf.. put those in:

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium2 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium2 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

Those are the safe flags to use.

-/Craigo/-
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craigo wrote:
Basically follow the instructions how to setup gentoo, then BEFORE you extract stage 1 tarball.. do the following:

Code:

wget http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/build/.1.4/x86/stage1-x86-1.4.tbz2

You could also burn the ISO file, don't fixiate the CD (so, keep the session open) and then burn the 1.4 tarball on the CD and fixiate.
That way you can use for other installs as well, without having to redownload the tarball.

It's just another option 8)
Normie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I completely forgot about wget... I just downloaded the tarball in windoze, put it on my Fat32 drive (I always keep one around for emergencies), booted from the 1.2 CD, and extracted the 1.4 tarball. :)

Bootstrap worked without issues... now on to the system! :p

-Normie -- "Where's me drink?!"
Craigo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You could also burn the ISO file, don't fixiate the CD (so, keep the session open) and then burn the 1.4 tarball on the CD and fixiate.
That way you can use for other installs as well, without having to redownload the tarball.

Didn't actually think of that but then I don't have a cdrw at the moment. Someone nicked the usb cdrw here at work.. ah well they can keep it since I ordered a speedier one ;)

I think it just depends on how fast is your network/internet connection is.

-/Craigo/-
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: