View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: World update borks system AGAIN!!![SOLVED] Reply with quote

Happy New Year everyone.

Well once again I ran a world update and am having some very bad results. I'll list as much info as I can although I am not sure if it is all related.

In a nutshell I can't use any of my desktop environments. KDE or XFCE. But the behavior they exhibit is a little different.

After my update I noticed that for some odd reason the entry line in terminal changed from my laptop name to "new-host-2". Seemed a little odd so I rebooted and bam...I can't get into any DE. Like I said they may or may not be related I haven't any idea.

Upon boot, if I log into KDE, the screen will flicker and kick me back in to the login screen. If I enter my credentials again it appears to login but drops me into the blue backdrop with an active cursor. Nothing else. This behavior is consistent and repeatable.

So I thought, oh well something borked KDE so I'll just log in to my XFCE. If I do that it appears to start up as normal but then dumps me into same blue backdrop with an active cursor. Nothing else. Same thing. Consistent and repeatable.

I backed up my KDE config directory in home, deleted it, and then rebooted. Almost the same thing happens. First login=flicker and back to login screen. 2nd login appears to start and actually dropped me into what appeared to be a working DE but no application would launch. So I log out and after that the behavior reverts to the original. login returns to login in screen. second login puts me in a blue screen with active cursor.

I also re-emerged both KDE and XFCE and it didn't "fix" anything.

Since both DE are affected I guess something that they both use got borked. I am not sure how to troubleshoot this or what log files you need to see. Let me know and I will provide whatever is required but must do so from the rescue-cd chrooted into my box. Thanks.

Last edited by Budoka on Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: World update borks system AGAIN!!! Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
After my update I noticed that for some odd reason the entry line in terminal changed from my laptop name to "new-host-2". Seemed a little odd so I rebooted and bam...I can't get into any DE. Like I said they may or may not be related I haven't any idea. ...

That looks like a config file reverting to "as shipped" form, so it makes me wonder if you forgot to run etc-update or dispatch-conf or whatever you choose.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: World update borks system AGAIN!!! Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Budoka wrote:
After my update I noticed that for some odd reason the entry line in terminal changed from my laptop name to "new-host-2". Seemed a little odd so I rebooted and bam...I can't get into any DE. Like I said they may or may not be related I haven't any idea. ...

That looks like a config file reverting to "as shipped" form, so it makes me wonder if you forgot to run etc-update or dispatch-conf or whatever you choose.

Thanks. Unfortunately I definitely ran
Code:
dispatch-conf
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: World update borks system AGAIN!!! Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
Upon boot, if I log into KDE, the screen will flicker and kick me back in to the login screen. If I enter my credentials again it appears to login but drops me into the blue backdrop with an active cursor. Nothing else. This behavior is consistent and repeatable.

Is this blue screen a command-line teletype window? I'm not sure what you mean by "the blue backdrop" - is that the KDE/XFCE wallpaper, with a flashing cursor, or a monochrome blue background?

One possibility is that X has died, so have a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log. It may also be worth booting the machine and running startx from the terminal; there might be some messages of use.

Another place to look, for KDE, is in ~/.xsession-errors. The trouble with that is there are no timestamps, so it's best to delete the file (or rename it) before starting KDE, and then looking at what new messages appear in it. There always seem to be hundreds.

Out of interest how has a world update borked your system before? There may be a pattern...
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought; did you run emerge @preserved-rebuild, emerge @x11-module-rebuild and (if you updated the kernel) emerge @module-rebuild? Your world update may be incomplete.

Also, look at "Xorg stopped working after update -"; it might be the same problem.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Another thought; did you run emerge @preserved-rebuild, emerge @x11-module-rebuild and (if you updated the kernel) emerge @module-rebuild? Your world update may be incomplete.

Also, look at "Xorg stopped working after update -"; it might be the same problem.

Thanks I tried all of them and it didn't fix the problem.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: World update borks system AGAIN!!! Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Budoka wrote:

Is this blue screen a command-line teletype window? I'm not sure what you mean by "the blue backdrop" - is that the KDE/XFCE wallpaper, with a flashing cursor, or a monochrome blue background?

One possibility is that X has died, so have a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log. It may also be worth booting the machine and running startx from the terminal; there might be some messages of use.

Another place to look, for KDE, is in ~/.xsession-errors. The trouble with that is there are no timestamps, so it's best to delete the file (or rename it) before starting KDE, and then looking at what new messages appear in it. There always seem to be hundreds.

Out of interest how has a world update borked your system before? There may be a pattern...

I suspect that it is the back-splash for KDE/XFCE. It definitely isn't a flashing cursor a-la terminal.

I guess since whatever got borked affected all of my DE's it must be something at the Xserver level right? Problem is I don't know what I am looking for. Here are some logs...

.xsession-error https://bpaste.net/show/1d681a2bee89
Xorg.0.log https://bpaste.net/show/af418c3bcfb8
Xorg.1.log https://bpaste.net/show/774baa9fb446

My update process never changes. Sync portage, check for GSLA's, world update, emerge-depclean, revdep-rebuild. If prompted I will also do emerge @preserved-rebuild or whatever the alert states and of cours dispatch-conf. The problems I have had in the past were rarely due to the process and generally cause by something that came down in the world update. This is the most recent thread I addressed it https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-994022-highlight-.html
Helmering
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: World update borks system AGAIN!!! Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:

After my update I noticed that for some odd reason the entry line in terminal changed from my laptop name to "new-host-2". Seemed a little odd so I rebooted and bam...I can't get into any DE. Like I said they may or may not be related I haven't any idea.

Thats most likely a problem with the last Networkmanager Update. It doesn't use ifnet any longer. There was a recent "News" for that.

Try chainging /etc/Networkmanager/Networkmanager.conf in something like that (Define your hostname):

[main]
    plugins=keyfile

[keyfile]
    hostname=YourHostname

Your login issue:
Can you start a X-session by typing startx as user/root? /Edit: Your blue screen seems to be a running X-Session
Did dispatch-conf eventually overwrite /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc?

Ralf
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: World update borks system AGAIN!!! Reply with quote

Helmering wrote:
Budoka wrote:

Thats most likely a problem with the last Networkmanager Update. It doesn't use ifnet any longer. There was a recent "News" for that.

Try chainging /etc/Networkmanager/Networkmanager.conf in something like that (Define your hostname):

[main]
    plugins=keyfile

[keyfile]
    hostname=YourHostname

Your login issue:
Can you start a X-session by typing startx as user/root? /Edit: Your blue screen seems to be a running X-Session

Ralf

Thank you Ralf. I do remember the news item. I thought I had proceeded as instructed but can't remember exactly what it was. I think switching some value from 0 to 1 or vice-verse. I didn't realize I had to edit the config file as well. I'll give it a try once I get my system back up and running.

When I
Code:
startx
as root I am put into what appears to be a fully functional XFCE environment. That made me go "hmm" so I tried startx as the user as well and it successfully launched into a functioning XFCE environment!!! But if I try to login any environment at the normal login screen it fails in the way I described previously.

Does that mean there is a borked config file somewhere? I did already try to delete my kde4 prefs to force it to create a new profile but that didn't solve the problem. I didn't see anything for XFCE hidden or otherwise in my home directory. Thanks.
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: World update borks system AGAIN!!! Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
I guess since whatever got borked affected all of my DE's it must be something at the Xserver level right? Problem is I don't know what I am looking for. Here are some logs...

My update process never changes. Sync portage, check for GSLA's, world update, emerge-depclean, revdep-rebuild. If prompted I will also do emerge @preserved-rebuild or whatever the alert states and of cours dispatch-conf. The problems I have had in the past were rarely due to the process and generally cause by something that came down in the world update. This is the most recent thread I addressed it https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-994022-highlight-.html

I don't see anything of concern in those files.

The update process is fine, though revdep-rebuild in general only finds the same things to do as emerge @preserved-rebuild, and depclean may find more to remove if you do it after them instead of before.

Ralf seems to be more help than me! startx causing XFCE implies something's gone wrong with whatever you use to start your DE. I use xdm, but I've never bothered to understand how these bits hang together. If you use xdm. it may be worth looking at its configuration in /etc/conf.d/xdm,
Helmering
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: World update borks system AGAIN!!! Reply with quote

Sure, it's only a hint:
A couple of years ago a kde-base/kdm update and dispatch-conf overwrote /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc, it's the config file for kdm. As a consequence kdm didn't restart.
Since then I maintain a backup of this file and use cfg-update from portage instead of dispatch-conf or similar.

This is my kdmrc.

Ralf
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: World update borks system AGAIN!!! Reply with quote

Helmering wrote:
Budoka wrote:

[main]
    plugins=keyfile

[keyfile]
    hostname=YourHostname

Your login issue:

Ralf

This was the message kicked out when NetworkManager was updated:

Quote:
* Messages for package net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.10.1_pre20141101:

* Ifnet plugin is now disabled because of it being unattended
* and unmaintained for a long time, leading to some unfixed bugs
* and new problems appearing. We will now use upstream 'keyfile'
* plugin.
* Because of this, you will likely need to reconfigure some of
* your networks. To do this you can rely on Gnome control center,
* nm-connection-editor or nmtui tools for example once updated
* NetworkManager version is installed.
* You have psk-flags=1 setting in above files, you will need to
* either reconfigure affected networks or, at least, set the flag
* value to '0'.

But I don't have a /etc/Networkmanager/Networkmanager.conf file and I see now that my host name has reverted back to what it was before. But I am looking at it chrooted in the RescueCD. I don't seem to have any problem connecting to a wifi network so I guess it is safe to leave this as is? I also am assuming it isn't related to my DE problem?
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: World update borks system AGAIN!!! Reply with quote

Helmering wrote:
Sure, it's only a hint:
A couple of years ago a kde-base/kdm update and dispatch-conf overwrote /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc, it's the config file for kdm. As a consequence kdm didn't restart.
Since then I maintain a backup of this file and use cfg-update from portage instead of dispatch-conf or similar.

This is my kdmrc.

Ralf

This is my kdmrc https://bpaste.net/show/b357b17a3aa6. I've never looked at it before and quite frankly wasn't even aware of its existence so not sure what is suppose to populate it, but on a cursory read it seems like a default file? So maybe you are correct about dispatch-conf overwriting it. It is just a bit baffling to me because I actually read the output from dispatch-conf before accepting changes and don't remember KDE updating any configs. Of course I could have just missed it. The other thing perplexing is why would it affect my XFCE as well?

If it is the case how do I fix it? Just use your config? Thanks
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: World update borks system AGAIN!!! Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Budoka wrote:

I don't see anything of concern in those files.

The update process is fine, though revdep-rebuild in general only finds the same things to do as emerge @preserved-rebuild, and depclean may find more to remove if you do it after them instead of before.

Ralf seems to be more help than me! startx causing XFCE implies something's gone wrong with whatever you use to start your DE. I use xdm, but I've never bothered to understand how these bits hang together. If you use xdm. it may be worth looking at its configuration in /etc/conf.d/xdm,

OK. I see that the reason startx is launching XFCE is because I have it defined in /etc/env.d/90xsession. That isn't a problem for me and since
Code:
startkde
bombs that is leading me to believe that KDE is the culprit in this latest debacle.

My XDM is calling on KDM for displaymanager which is also a KDE component.

Quote:
$ cat /etc/conf.d/xdm
# We always try and start X on a static VT. The various DMs normally default
# to using VT7. If you wish to use the xdm init script, then you should ensure
# that the VT checked is the same VT your DM wants to use. We do this check to
# ensure that you haven't accidentally configured something to run on the VT
# in your /etc/inittab file so that you don't get a dead keyboard.
CHECKVT=7

# What display manager do you use ? [ xdm | gdm | kdm | gpe | entrance ]
# NOTE: If this is set in /etc/rc.conf, that setting will override this one.
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"

What is throwing a wrench in the works is if this is a KDE problem why doesn't XFCE launch from the login screen? I can only start it from xterm.

Last edited by Budoka on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In attempt to pin down the root cause of this I tried a little experiment. I installed i3 and openbox and tried to launch them from what I now know to be the KDM login screen. They fail. SO that means any DE (KDE, XFCE, i3, Openbox) I try to launch from KDM fails so...

I changed my displaymanager variable in xdm config file from
Quote:
KDE
to
Quote:
XDM
. When I boot I am brought to the xdm terminal. All good right...I'm not in KDM but in a terminal presumably xdm. From the command line I still can not launch any DE BUT startx will still launch XFCE!!! This must mean it is something other than the KDE KDM right? I feel like I am missing something really obvious but am at a loss as to what.

Once again this all started after a world update. Really frustrating.

Last edited by Budoka on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
sebB
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you look at genlop -l and post the last packages you have upgraded
If all your DE are affected this is a problem with a config file.

You try with a new profile, but did you try creating a new user?
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebB wrote:
Can you look at genlop -l and post the last packages you have upgraded
If all your DE are affected this is a problem with a config file.

You try with a new profile, but did you try creating a new user?

$ sudo genlop -l |wgetpaste
Your paste can be seen here: https://bpaste.net/show/d581a8ed2493

Trying with new user but ran into a small snag. Suspect it is not related so must get back to you on that one.

Thanks
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Something strange is going on or I am just a moron.

I couldn't get kuser to let me add or edit users and useradd on the cli appeared to add it but wouldn't let me login and although I indicated create home directory it didn't although it indicated it did...blah blah blah. Anyway,

So I remembered that one of my previous borked system incidents also involved KDE. See here:https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-955152-highlight-came.html. It isn't related to this problem but I have been increasingly annoyed and frustrated with KDE lately due to the fact it has turned into a huge bloated monster.

I am still not 100 percent sure if KDE/KDM is the root of this problem but thought hell let me just get rid of KDE and re-install it or maybe not. Overkill...probably. But really frustrated.

So I
Code:
emerge -av --depclean kdebase-meta
and then ran
Code:
emerge --depclean -pv
just to see what it would do and on close examination see it wants to yank a sh*tload of XFCE stuff too!!! So is something seriously borked on my machine or do KDE and XFCE have dependencies I didn't know about??? If so then the fact that neither launch at KDM would make sense BUT I thought they were two totally different animals???

# emerge --depclean -pv |grep -i xfce |wgetpaste
Your paste can be seen here: https://bpaste.net/show/2e2d385f4730

If anyone wants to see it all...

# emerge --depclean -pv |wgetpaste
Your paste can be seen here:https://bpaste.net/show/d8293f7617c4

As I said the only thing I yanked was kdebase-meta.
Code:
# emerge -av --depclean kdebase-meta
sebB
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I couldn't get kuser to let me add or edit users and useradd on the cli appeared to add it but wouldn't let me login and although I indicated create home directory it didn't although it indicated it did

Did you set the passwd?
Ex
Code:
useradd -m -G users,wheel,audio,cdrom,cdrw,floppy,usb,video,plugdev -s /bin/bash test
passwd test

Disable all login manager (XDM, KDM...)
Then reboot and startx

Can you try reemerging accountservice
Post your .xinitrc and emerge --info
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebB wrote:
Quote:
I couldn't get kuser to let me add or edit users and useradd on the cli appeared to add it but wouldn't let me login and although I indicated create home directory it didn't although it indicated it did

Did you set the passwd?
Ex
Code:
useradd -m -G users,wheel,audio,cdrom,cdrw,floppy,usb,video,plugdev -s /bin/bash test
passwd test

Disable all login manager (XDM, KDM...)
Then reboot and startx

Can you try reemerging accountservice
Post your .xinitrc and emerge --info

I did but tried again per your suggestion. I re-emerged accounsservice and added test user and password but had to use a slightly different syntax than yours.
Code:
# useradd -m -G users,wheel,audio,cdrom,cdrw,floppy,usb,video,plugdev -s /bin/bash test -p test

I confirmed that it was added.
Code:
# cat /etc/passwd |grep -i test
test:x:1001:1001::/home/test:/bin/bash

Rebooted and still can't login. It gives a rather vague message stating "login incorrect".

I don't have ~./.xinitrc. Never have and it wasn't problematic.
# emerge --info |wgetpaste
Your paste can be seen here: https://bpaste.net/show/90fb93c5a9c1

Thanks again for help. This really drives me insane. It has happened enough times now that maybe I should only do a world update once a year once my system is stable. (sarcasm). Hahaha
sebB
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
-p test

Do you have en encrypted passwd? see man useradd
Do
Code:
passwd test

Or add a new user like I tell you
Code:
useradd -m -G users,wheel,audio,cdrom,cdrw,floppy,usb,video,plugdev -s /bin/bash test2
then
Code:
passwd test2

If it work log with test/test2
/etc/env.d/90xsession
Code:
XSESSION="KDE-4"

.xinitrc
Code:
exec ck-launch-session startkde

startx
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebB wrote:
Quote:
-p test

Do you have en encrypted passwd? see man useradd
Do
Code:
passwd test

Or add a new user like I tell you
Code:
useradd -m -G users,wheel,audio,cdrom,cdrw,floppy,usb,video,plugdev -s /bin/bash test2
then
Code:
passwd test2

If it work log with test/test2
/etc/env.d/90xsession
Code:
XSESSION="KDE-4"

.xinitrc
Code:

startx

OK. So that worked and I was able to login under the test user. Was also able to revert back to KDM and login under that as well.

So I logged back in under the original user and changed
Code:
XSESSION="KDE-4"
from xfce4 to /etc/env.d/90xsession. I still don't have a an .xinitrc under the original profile but am now able to startkde at xdm login. So I changed back to KDM and now can login as normal. Thank you so much.

However, although I will mark this as solved, I first want to understand what has happened. I don't understand what caused this problem or how I fixed it. Is it that my /etc/env.d/90xsession contained xfce4 instead of KDE-4.Was that the config file that was changed/problematic in the world update? If so, why wouldn't any of the other DE's start up from KDM particularly XFCE if that was what was written in that file.

Under the test user you had me add
Code:
to .xinitrc but it seems it isn't necessary because xinitrc doesn't exist under the original user and it is now launching. Should I create xinitrc and add that parameter anyway?If not what file is being read instead of xinitrc.

Thanks for your help again
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May start another thread but would also like to know why emerge --depclean wants to yank all sorts of XFCE and X11 stuff if I remove kde meta. Seems wacko to me because it means I can't easily remove KDE if I so choose.
Apheus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
why emerge --depclean wants to yank all sorts of XFCE and X11 stuff if I remove kde meta.

You should put xfce-base/xfce4-meta in your world file too. That should protect the xfce and X11 stuff. About any possible dependencies between KDE and XFCE - I don't know, that sounds weird to me too.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apheus wrote:
Budoka wrote:
why emerge --depclean wants to yank all sorts of XFCE and X11 stuff if I remove kde meta.

You should put xfce-base/xfce4-meta in your world file too. That should protect the xfce and X11 stuff. About any possible dependencies between KDE and XFCE - I don't know, that sounds weird to me too.

I just checked and it is in my world file. I think I will break this off into another topic and post link. Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: