Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
how to compile a netboot image for sparc on a x86 arch?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stieltje
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: how to compile a netboot image for sparc on a x86 arch? Reply with quote

I got a Sparcstation 4, it has no CD, no floppy, and no hard-drive.

so, I want to netboot ths thing, and I am pretty clear on how to do this, but there is one major obstacle on my way. That is I do not have a kernel to boot..

So I wonder how to compile and config a kernel on my PC, create a net boot image, I probably need to cross-compile it or what? I am pretty new to this, so excuse the noobism.

I have googled around for any existing boot images, the link I have found doesnt lead anywhere..

If I just can get this thing to boot, I can build/compile a system later on.

anyway, thanks in advance
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the tftpboot image at http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/experimental/sparc/tftpboot/sparc/gentoo-sparc-1.4_rc4-20040102.tftpboot ?

You would need to setup a cross-compiler to build a tftpboot image for sparc on x86, which is a bit involved.
Stieltje
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Thanks a million :)

I have been browsing the net for something like that for a while now, I'll try it as fast as I get a little time, exams coming up this week...
darkarchon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stieltje,

How did you solve your problem ? I am having the same issue.

Weeve said:

Quote:
You would need to setup a cross-compiler to build a tftpboot image for sparc on x86, which is a bit involved.

What exactly does this mean ? Is this possible ? Rather tricky? Or Just tedious ?

Basically I am looking for a guide on how to boot my sparc hooking it up to my pc.
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -- Patrick Henry, 1775
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the sounds of it, I think what you are looking for is the SPARC Netboot HOWTO
DuDe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Weeve, i'm interesting on build a netboot image on x86-system, the toolchain, isn't a problem you can easy build via kegel crostools (http://kegel.com)

But i dont know the right step to build a netboot image like one that comes from gentoo web-server

many Thanks for any kind of information
das_leid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Sparc Station 20 running - what next ? (diskless) Reply with quote

Hi Sparcs,

ok, I've been able to successfully boot my Sparc Station 20 with the tftp image. However as the beast does not have a harddisk I wonder how to go any further. I tried to play around with the script which was used to create that image but IMHO you need a running sparc to compile a new tftp-image. I don't have one. :cry:

In my pain I started to play around with Dan's script. Hopefully I will be able to do something with it.

Were you able to progress further ?

My deep wish is to use the sparc to help compile via distcc.

Since
Rüdiger Biernat

OH EVIL !
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: