View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faraclas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Remote Desktop (xrdp, vnc options, other) [Solved] Reply with quote

I would like to install the required servers on mt system so that I can "remote desktop" into them. I guess RDP is not a requirement, but I want it to work like remote desktop does. Basically I have a few windows sytems that I remote desktop into from Linux (the client works fine), OSX, and other windows systems. It looks great (even on my Thunderbolt monitor rescaled up to 2560x1440) weather full screen or windowed.

What is the best way to do this? There are several articles and Wiki's written, but all the ones I have found are from a few years ago and dont seem to be a) simple or b) complete.

Can anyone suggest
a) What solution should I pursue
b) Complete up to date Wiki or tutorial for this?

Last edited by Faraclas on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faraclas,

Do you really mean remote desktop as in view the GUI on the screen at the remote Linux system.
VNC works, sort of, but you would need to set it up in 'screen scraper' mode.

Normally, any user can start a VNC server on a Linux host and none of them will get what is on the screen.
If you want to use it over the internet, be aware that its horribly insecure too. You will need to tunnel it over ssh.

Is tunneling X over ssh any use?
You can run an X Server on windows if you need to.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Faraclas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Faraclas,

Do you really mean remote desktop as in view the GUI on the screen at the remote Linux system.
VNC works, sort of, but you would need to set it up in 'screen scraper' mode.

I think the answer is yes. Basically, I want as close as I can get to Remote Desktop functionality. From the windows client, point Remote Deaktop to the Linux box and have it work just like I'm RDPing into another windows system. So it sounds like xrdp is what I want, but I'm open to something different.

The gentoo xrpd guide seems very incomplete and out of date. Is this what I want?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faraclas,

I haven't had Windows at home in about 12 years, so I don't have any corrent experience.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
gigel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't use the remote desktop thing in my life, but you might try teamviewer (it is in portage) - it works in windows also.
Faraclas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now I settled on x11vnc because it is quick and seems to suit my needs for now. However, the limitations of the existing xserver are not ideal so perhaps I will try a different type of virtual VNC in the future. Specifically, my laptop [Gentoo] is running 1920x1080 resolution. But wh.en I remote into it, I would like a full screen on my 2560 x 1440 thunderbolt monitor.

I guess audio forwarding is possible via jumping through PulseAudio hoops. I will probably never do this.

I must hand it to Microsoft though. Remote Desktop is something windows users take for granted. And its pretty awesome! ;)
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running apps remotely is a native feature of X, and to manage remote systems SSH works even over slow connections. I think this is awesome. I cannot think of any reason why I should want to run entire desktop remotely, that would also require X installed in remote box. Which is not required to run X apps remotely.
Faraclas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
that would also require X installed in remote box. Which is not required to run X apps remotely.

Hmm, this is interesting. How do I run an X app remotely without X installed? Figure a windows client wanting to run an X app (for example PyCharm) remotely. This could be really cool.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X is network aware server-client system. You need to specify what display you want to use and it will pretty much work out of box, it defaults to local. Maybe I confused you. Here is the example. I almost never use the most powerful PC in my house, it is a quad-core. I use low power nettop class PC's instead. If I need computing power I fire up that 4-core over network (it is headless) and run Avidemux from there, the display will be on my desktop. The headless box has no X installed, just Avidemux with supporting libraries.
NeddySeagoon said above you can install X on Windows. I haven't used Windows at home since 2003 so I really do not know much about it.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faraclas,

X is in two pieces, a client and a server. Its the other way round from currunt convention.
The server is on the local PC and displays the graphics. This piece is not needed on the remote system that generates the graphics.
Also, the client is not a single piece of software, its any program that tells an X server to draw things.

The protcol between clients and the X server is not secure, so its usual to tunnel it over ssh.

At the server end, you need to start X without the --nolisten option, which is the default in Gentoo.
Now start ssh with the X forwarding option. Once you get your ssh prompt, start a graphical program. startxfce4 maybe.

Enjoy the remote application drawing on your local desktop.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be interested in:
* mingw - you are obviously going to need xserver on windows.
* xterminal/thin client guides/howtos. This one for example looks promissing
http://www.google.pl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDAQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tldp.org%2FHOWTO%2Fpdf%2FXDM-Xterm.pdf&ei=HkOoVNPKBIXIyAPAl4K4Dg&usg=AFQjCNGlBUiE7Ahp0rnVoR_EMxJ4-v5Dng&bvm=bv.82001339,d.bGQ&cad=rja
* ssh - I suggest using X-forwarding so you pierce a firewall in relatively secure manner.. I think on windows I was using putty to get this done. Also, enabling compression on ssh level can speed up transmission over slow network by a huge factor. Really.

So, you can tunel a single app or entire desktop. PDF I linked aims at the latter, which seems to match your needs. It is NOT written for windows though, so you will have some fun figuring it out anyway ;)
Faraclas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great feedback guys! I will look into Xming for windows. Or, since this is probably easier in OSX, it's a good excuse to get a Macbook Pro (currently I have a macbook air with only 4GB ram) so I can go back to running windows as the virtual machine it was meant to be.

So my end goal will be to have OSX as my primary (for the thunderbolt port and enterprise connectivity) running a XServer that I can display my Gentoo system up on the big screen while firing up the windows VM (for mandatory windows development on the macbook) and then have N-RemoteDesktop connections open to my embedded windows (mandatory) instruments.

I'm excited!

Edit: The real end-goal is to use Gentoo as my primary. But a) I don't think that I am there yet and b) I'm not sure how stable the new Apple Thunderbolt drivers are in the new kernel yet. For reference, Gentoo is running on a Sony Vaio.
Faraclas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I got Xming server running on windows and can launch applications running on my Gentoo system which show up on my windows desktop. In general, it is pretty cool. However, it is SLOW SLOW SLOW.

Using VNC, I can work on my remote desktop in realtime with almost imperceptible lag. However, using the Xming and launching apps via the Putty SSH terminal, the apps have tremendous lag. Its pretty much unusable.

Anyway to speed this up????
Faraclas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update for other noobs like me. I didn't not have compression enabled in putty. With compression enabled, it is much much faster. Very usable. Between x11vnc and this solution, I should have my needs covered.

However, I must say that the blistering fast speed of working on the gentoo system itself is pretty addictive. Remitting works, but not as satisfying!

Thanks again to everyone for the help and comments.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted. I personally am not brave enough to use Windows for any of my needs (after being an IT manager for 7+ years managing a corporate Windows network).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: