compiler flag combination prevents ld from finding libraries
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idiv0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: compiler flag combination prevents ld from finding libraries Reply with quote

I'm trying to build sci-biology/mauvealigner. I've located the error and how to get around it but I'm not sure how to edit the Makefile/how to get the ebuild to complete the operation.

Code:
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -O2 -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -ftree-vectorize   -DCOMMAND_LINE  -march=native -O2 -pipe -O2 -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -ftree-vectorize    -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -o mauveAligner mauveAligner.o -L/usr/lib -lMems-1.6 -lboost_system-mt -lboost_filesystem-mt -lboost_program_options-mt -lboost_iostreams-mt -lrt -lpthread -lGenome-1.3 -lMUSCLE-3.7   
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -O2 -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -ftree-vectorize   -DCOMMAND_LINE  -march=native -O2 -pipe -static -Wl,--whole-archive -lpthread -Wl,--no-whole-archive -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -o mauveStatic mauveAligner.o -L/usr/lib -lMems-1.6 -lboost_system-mt -lboost_filesystem-mt -lboost_program_options-mt -lboost_iostreams-mt -lrt -lpthread -lGenome-1.3 -lMUSCLE-3.7   
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lboost_system-mt
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lboost_filesystem-mt
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lboost_program_options-mt
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lboost_iostreams-mt

The first compile works fine but the second one has issues, even though the same library is being referenced.
So far I've found 2 ways to get it to compile manually:
  • remove the -static flag
  • remove the -mt from the end of the boost libraries, they are symlinks to the same file afterall

Anyone know how I could make changes for the build to go through/how to fix the linker errors?
idiv0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit silly.

I forgot about static libraries and how they end in .a.
While libboost_system-mt.so was symlinked to libboost_system.so, there was no link from libboost_system-mt.a to libboost_system.a.

Creating the links caused the build to pass.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: