View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Help installing on AMD64 Reply with quote

I have an Athlon 64 3000+ and MSI K8t motherboard. I have previously installed Gentoo 32 bit from stage 3. I tried both the most recent (December I think) live CD and a Knoppix Stage 3 install for AMD64 but have had the same problems both times. First my /etc/make.conf file only has 4 or 5 lines in it by default, I know in 32 bit install it was much larger. Secondly many programs I try to emerge are masked, grub, lilo, and some (not all) of the kernel loggers. Third I emerged genkernel, but never could get it to work, I installed the kernel with menuconfig, make etc... Am I doing something wrong, or does it just take amuch more advanced user to install the 64 bit gentoo?
cavalierwisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I just got my athon 64 system set up this week and ran into the same things. Let me see if i can be of any help here...
1. The make.conf default file is fine. That's all that really needs to be there anyway. The x86 default make.conf i believe just has more comments in it. but it's essentially the same thing.

2. grub and lilo don't work because they depend on 32 bit assembly language instructions (or something like that). i found this document very helpful, it tells you how to get grub working http://dev.gentoo.org/~brad_mssw/amd64-tech-notes.html
Yes, there are some other packages that are masked by default for a couple of reasons. either A, it just doesn't compile for amd64 or B no one has tested it on amd64 yet. you can view the package database at http://packages.gentoo.org/ it lists all of the packages with what's been tested and what hasn't.

3. I had no luck with genkernel either and gave up on it very quickly. I still haven't figured out what's wrong with it if anything. But you can always compile your kernel manually. If you need help with that you can look at the Installation Guide page on kernel installation, http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=7#doc_chap2
It should compile fine with a manual configuration. Just make sure you're using the gentoo-dev-sources.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out
Crispy Beef
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently (in the last 24 hours) installed gentoo on an Athlon 64 3200+ and everything seems to be ok. I used grub-static for the bootloader, and made sure that I emerged gentoo-dev-sources and compiled the kernel by hand. The above kernel sources already have 64-bit patches applied.

I was getting kernel panics initially, but after updating the BIOS and adding idle=poll to the kernel line in the grub config everything has been ok. Am now going through ebuilds working out what will compile and what won't.

So far have had good expereince with a few packages:

Mozilla Firebird, XMMS, mplayer, xfree, xfce4, gnome-terminal, evolution.

And a few issues with other stuff:

Mozilla Thunderbird, Gaim

Hopefully now there seems to be more people with AMD64 systems development will speed up. Hope ATI shift their arses though, this Radeon needs hardware acceleration.
pharm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: w00t w00t 64bit! Reply with quote

Hi all!

He is some insight on my experience with my amd64:

Specs:
AMD64 3200
1024 MB Ram
Asus K8V MoBo (which has the onboard 3c940 3Com Lan Card)
Some sound card that i can only get the right channel to work on.
Could be a defect on the MoBo.
ATI 7200 Radeon 64bit AGP

I have tried a whole bunch of OS, here is just a list of them

WindowsXP AMD64
Windows2003 AMD64
WindowsLonghorn AMD64

None of those worked because it would install drivers and it kept installing Firewire as a network card. When installing 32bit apps it would load up an error "program not made for this platform" We all know AMD is backward compatiple.

I was able to install Windows (all versions) in 32bit mode.

Now onto linux distros

Mandrake 9.2 AMD64
Gentoo AMD64
Fedora Core AMD64
SuSe AMD64
Even installed 32bit Solaris

Heres the results!

Mandrake ran the best out of the box. It auto reconized the lan card and sound card =)

Suse. Fedora, and Gentoo, you will have to manually load sk98xx driver in able to get lan card working to install over the web.

Most systems reconized the promise raid and stuff. Sound cards as well. Solaris sucks. I had to download the driver from ASUS and it installed okay, but I couldn't get routing right so.. it would just sit there and not do anything.

If you would like to know the RAW POWER !!! Gentoo did a complete Bootstrap and Emerge System in under two episodes of X-files =)

Very Fast considering on my P4 1500 it would take a good 3hrs for a bootstrap alone.

Also I beta test boinc. It ran a calculation benchmark for me and gave me the results. When I installed 32bit windows or linux it would run 225 million calcs a second. When I ran on a 64bit os a remarkable 860 Million Calcs a second. =)

Games are great! however my Vid card is out of date for most games in linux.

This chip was risky to buy. at the time no one really supported it, but it has turned into a great hobby testing out new OSs and Software truely finding out how much of a difference a 64bit processor can do!
muthax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Crispy Beef
How did you compile mozilla ? in 64 or 32 bit?
And did you jus emerge it with CFLAGS="-m32" or did you manually compile it from the ebuild?

cheers
Crispy Beef
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@muthax

I just let it compile as normal in 64-bit, at that point I didn't have any of the emulation libraries installed, although I have added them since then to run the binary version of OpenOffice.org.

Mozilla Firebird should compile fine, I can't remember if I added the @amd64 keyword to the ebuild (I think it's in there anyway now), but it seems to work ok. The Flash plug-in and RealPlayer won't work though, at least I haven't got them going.
muthax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. And have you tried compiling 32 bit binaries? How do you do it? using emerge or compiling the ebuild by hand?

cheers
windex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh, im having a hell of a time getting gentoo installed.

Im torn between beliveing i have a bad stick of ram and not. I have no floppy disks and am out of cds till later so i havnt been able to run memtest86 (will it work reliably with an amd64 system?)

I had no problem booting to and using 32bit-windows or the existing 32-bit install of gentoo that I had installed previously, no problems with a new install of windows xp pro (32-bit). No problems running knoppix and using various things for school including OO, and everything works reliably from the gentoo live cd.

This makes me belive all the hardware is fine, however..
once I enter the chroot everything goes horribly wrong. I've managed to bootstrap once, i had to run "scrips/bootstrap.sh" 5 times because it failed compiling 4 times on 4 different sections. Ive had problems compiling gettext, sed, gcc, the kernel (2.6.1) binutils.

I attempted to change my chost (only durring stage one installs) to i686-pc-linux-gnu and everything compiled fine untill it hit a section of 64-bit code.

a stage 3 install went a tad better, i didnt have any problems compiling vixie-cron or syslog-ng, genkernel failed putting together an initrd, so i compiled manually and ended up with a fairly crappy kernel so i made one by hand, failed once, but worked after running make clean.

Then after failing to compile xfree overnight by running something like emerge xfree ; emerge xfree ; eme... etc.. for a total of ten tries. I gave up and have booted back to knoppix.

I can supply all the info anybody wants just ask for it...

system: athlon64 3200+; ecs 755-a motherboard; mushkin 512 pc3200ddr; adaptec 26160 scsi controller; matching hard drive; one ide drive master ide0 (works but nothing is on it, havnt even made a partition on it since formating it two nights ago; one cdr/dvd ide master ide1; sata, serial, parallel, audio, modem disabled. ps2/kb usb/mouse (only usb item plugged in currently). 420w power supply, tempurature remains ~40c, usually between 35 and 40.

booted with idle=poll

CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" and CFLAGS="-O3 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

Ive also tried leaving all of the above commented out...

I tried using ext2, ext3, and xfs.

Anything else?
Crispy Beef
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@muthax

Haven't actually tried compiling 32 bit binaries. I've read however it's best to do it by hand and not use portage though.
muthax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispy Beef wrote:
@muthax

Haven't actually tried compiling 32 bit binaries. I've read however it's best to do it by hand and not use portage though.

Yeah same I heard, I tried but it simply crashed.
muthax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@windex82

Try using sys-kernel/development-kernel/development-kernel-2.6.1.ebuild

i think it's the safest to use, no problems for me
windex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, ill give that a go, i had been using gentoo-dev-sources..

Still leaves me with all the other compile problems im having though... cant finish the bootstrap to get to that point again.. i guess i can start back at stage three... ill be back with info on how stage 3 + these other dev sources go...
muthax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started from stage 3, couldn't be arsed to wait wanted to have a system up and running fast, then leave it recompile everything overnight.
windex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muthax wrote:
I started from stage 3, couldn't be arsed to wait wanted to have a system up and running fast, then leave it recompile everything overnight.

since im already half convinced its the ram, im currently attempting to use an older stick of (known good) ram its only ddr2100 so i completly forgot about having another usable stick in this system... i figure it would at least tell me definitly one way or another weather this ram is toast or not.. if it screws up with this stick ill begin working on that stage three...

How do you go about recompiling a stage three to end up with what you would with stage1? (does that make sense?)
muthax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you mean:
how do i recompile everything after i copied the stage3 tarball so that i get the same result as installing stage 1 and then compiling?

i think emerge -Ud world

but do a man emerge or even better look in the forum i seen it posted somewhere
windex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wont be needed, the ram was bad. I should have known better then buying something other then crucial. Although I've alwasy heard mushkin is very good.
chrisdupre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey pharm,
I got an Athlon64. Gigabyte K8T800M. nvidia 5600 ultra. I can't play Savage, americas army, etc.., How did you get these games working?
kernel 2.6.1, etc.., System runs beautiful except for 32bit games? :(
Also I emerged emul-linux-x86-baselibs; couldn't emerge emul-linux-x86-xlibs, still masked. Did you put -m32, and or multilib in your use flags? And reemerge gcc-3.3.1-r5? I heard brad saying this isn't a good idea?
chrisdupre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*BUMP*
muthax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisdupre wrote:
Hey pharm,
I got an Athlon64. Gigabyte K8T800M. nvidia 5600 ultra. I can't play Savage, americas army, etc.., How did you get these games working?
kernel 2.6.1, etc.., System runs beautiful except for 32bit games? :(
Also I emerged emul-linux-x86-baselibs; couldn't emerge emul-linux-x86-xlibs, still masked. Did you put -m32, and or multilib in your use flags? And reemerge gcc-3.3.1-r5? I heard brad saying this isn't a good idea?

You will need at least X libs go on emerge em using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" before mergfe or just by giving the full path to the ebuild. They compile and work fine. Even the gtk ones but you need the X ones installed already
muthax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisdupre wrote:
*BUMP*

Also I read that using -m32 with portage screws up the dependancy sys or something. You need to go where the ebuild is untarred and compile by hand, setting USE-"-m32" as an env variable. Then just ./configure ./make ./make install. Unless someone can report a success with portage and -32.

ps
The ebuilds are in /var/tmp/portage
chrisdupre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. All I want is americas army, and maybe a few others.
muthax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisdupre wrote:
Thanks for your reply. All I want is americas army, and maybe a few others.

it's not USE but you just pass this to configure:

CC="gcc -m32" AS="gcc -m32" ./configure
make
make install
chrisdupre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for being a noob, but what exactly do you mean? I cannot emerge americas-army even after I do ACCEPT_KEYWORD="~x86" emerge americas-army200a.ebuild. The libs did ok but not americas-army. How do you change CC="gcc -m32" to AS="gcc-m32" ./configure?

Also if I download in my home directory and try to sh ./armyops200a-linux.bin, I get a tail: `-1' option is obsolet use `-n 1'????

Thanks for helping out :D 8O
muthax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok
First of all, have you tried using ACCEPT_KEYWORD="~amd64" before the word emerge like this:

ACCEPT_KEYWORD="~amd64" emerge /usr/portage/pathtotheebuild.ebuild

?
If not, give it a try. If yes or if it fails lemme know I explain to you how to do 32bit compile.
chrisdupre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks got it downloading now. I hope it works! Think you can help me get Savage to work? I would greatly appreciate it! I got it on cd-rom.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: