Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

User: drardbeg
Topic: abi_x86_32 Multilib madness [Not as SOLVED as I thought]
Reason: The LS_COLORS variable in the verbose emerge --info here seems to be triggering the wide-wide-forum feature, taking some quotes with it even!
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
The LS_COLORS variable in the verbose emerge --info here seems to be triggering the wide-wide-forum feature

Just wanted to say that I think emerge should be filtering that variable out, along with some others that are probably a bit more contentious.

It's completely useless information-wise, and certainly shouldn't be used by make et al (or something is wrong.)
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Chiitoo wrote:
The LS_COLORS variable in the verbose emerge --info here seems to be triggering the wide-wide-forum feature

Just wanted to say that I think emerge should be filtering that variable out, along with some others that are probably a bit more contentious.

It's completely useless information-wise, and certainly shouldn't be used by make et al (or something is wrong.)

Well the user has EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="-va" and did not disable it for the that info output (I did that mistake once for a bug report... oopsies!), so yes, Portage is definitely being verbose there but at least it's on purpose. ^^
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
steveL wrote:
I think emerge should be filtering that variable out, along with some others that are probably a bit more contentious.

Well the user has EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="-va" and did not disable it for the that info output (I did that mistake once for a bug report... oopsies!), so yes, Portage is definitely being verbose there but at least it's on purpose. ^^

It's not the verbosity, it's that emerge already filters out some variables, and this one is always way too big, and functionally useless. It just clogs up the environment bz2 (and incidentally makes it much more awkward to look at in some editors.)

Still I should just mention it to zac next time I'm bugging him about portage's behaviour ;)

Sorry for noise.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split from the reports topic, in case anyone wanted to refer back to them.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Still I should just mention it to zac next time I'm bugging him about portage's behaviour ;)

When you do, you might want to have a ready suggestion:
I am using since years the following "emerge" command (ordered in $PATH before emerge) which cleans up my environment before calling emerge, and which even explicitly passes through some variables which you might want to set temporarily in the environment.
I am sorry, we get now again a very wide output since I have implemented the thing with a huge "case":
Code:
#!/bin/sh
PATH='/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin'
printf '%s\n' "USER=${USER}"
# cd two times to erase OLDPWD
cd
cd /
IFS='
'
unset k
unset t
unset u
for i in `env|sort`
do   j=${i%%=*}
   case ${j} in
   *[!a-z0-9A-Z_]*|[0-9]*|'_'|PATH|PWD|OLDPWD|HOME|USER)
      :;;
   SHLVL|LANG*|LC*|DISPLAY|CCACHE*|'BASH_PROFILE'|CONFIG*|'GCC_SPECS'|KBUILD*|KERNEL*|'XZ_OPT'|RSYNC*|SSH*|TERM|'LD_'*|MANPATH|INFOPATH|KDE*|JAVA*|JDK*|ANT*|'COLON_SEPARATED'|'QT_'*|'XDG_'*|HG|GDK*|PRELINK*|GUILE*)
      k="${k} ${j}";;
   PYTHON_*|*SYNC*|*KNOW*|*GPO*|*PATCH*|*CCACHE*|USE_NONGNU|CC|CXX|LD|LINGUAS|MAKEOPTS|*KEYWORDS*|FLAG*|OPT*|NO*FLAG*|FEATURES|USE|*OFFLINE*|EMERGE*|PORT*|DISTDIR|PKGDIR|*COMMAND|*DELAY|GENTOO*|NOINST*|INST*|NODELTA|KEEP|GRSEC*|AUFS*|VIDEO*|BASHRC*|DELTA*|*CRAZY*|NOLOCALEPURGE|NOLAFILEREMOVE)
      t="${t} ${j}";;
   *)
      unset "${j}"
      u="${u} ${j}";;
   esac
done
Info() {
   [ -n "${2:++}" ] && printf '%s%s\n\n' "${1}" "${2}"
}
Info 'unset' "${u}"
Info 'keep' "${k}"
Info 'keep (temporary)' "${t}"
[ "${1}" = '-' ] && exit
exec /usr/bin/emerge "${@}"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: