Bluetooth Tethering in Gnome 3.12
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lirion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth Tethering in Gnome 3.12 Reply with quote

Hello there,

I'm have a few trouble to get bluetooth tehering with my gentoo working. Does anyone how how to configure it?
The bluetooth adapter is working at all, but I get no option to use my smartphones net:

Code:
thinkpad system # hciconfig --all
hci0:   Type: BR/EDR  Bus: USB
   BD Address: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX  ACL MTU: 1021:8  SCO MTU: 64:1
   UP RUNNING PSCAN
   RX bytes:8686 acl:37 sco:0 events:401 errors:0
   TX bytes:6718 acl:36 sco:0 commands:371 errors:0
   Features: 0xbf 0xfe 0xcf 0xfe 0xdb 0xff 0x7b 0x87
   Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
   Link policy: RSWITCH SNIFF
   Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
   Name: 'Thinkpad'
   Class: 0x00010c
   Service Classes: Unspecified
   Device Class: Computer, Laptop
   HCI Version: 4.0 (0x6)  Revision: 0x1000
   LMP Version: 4.0 (0x6)  Subversion: 0x220e
   Manufacturer: Broadcom Corporation (15)

A global bluetooth use flag enabled. I use systemd-214, NetworkManager-0.9.8.10-r1, and bluez 5.18-r1.
I don't have any idea to investigate further :(
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that it was "supposed" to be integrated into NM and you'd get it automatically, however there's some current bluez5/networkmanager incompatibility problem. I had Gnome bluetooth working a bit after when I upgraded to Gnome3.8 with the old bluez4 after a kernel bug was fixed, but it had since broke again.

It *was* a seamless integration. Too bad it broke again :(

My system I do see the bluetooth option in the system panel, but if you go into bluetooth details and select sharing of network on a phone, it fails. Do you at least see and be able to pair your phone?

It is possible to work around it by using rfcomm/pppd directly but I haven't tried in a long while.
hanfi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get it working (with my samsung galaxy smartphone) by remove the line "--enable-bluez4" on line 133 of the ebuild file (/usr/portage/net-misc/networkmanager/networkmanager-0.9.8.10-r1.ebuild). Then rebuild the ebuilds manifest, reemerge networkmanager and restarted the daemon.

No negative side-effects detected so far, but use this on your own risk.

I am not sure why the --enable-bluez4 exists in the configure skript of networkmanager, this should imho be autodetected (thats what configure skripts are made for....)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confirm that this hack works - letting NM use Bluez5 instead of bluez4 (I hacked my ebuild to add a new USE flag for bluez4). Instead of using DialUpNetworking (DUN profile in BT, and does not appear to work with Bluez5) this uses Bluetooth PAN networking, which seems to work better for the Gnome 3 and the newer networkmanager. I had to hack my phone a bit (Nokia N900) to allow PAN as it does not support it by default, but it looks like it does work with some minor flakiness, which may be due to my setup... The phone does not support PAN natively but there are hacks to enable it - but it does support DUN out of the box.

Hanfi, I think you should add this hack as an enhancement to the networkmanager ebuild, file an enhancement bug against networkmanager to be able to disable bluez4 support (which does nothing with bluez5 which is depended in, I suspect it initially was to allow for DUN support) and thus allow bluez5 PAN support. Else I may go and submit one in a few days...

[EDIT]
I submitted https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=529278 to hopefully get the ebuild changed so someone won't have to hack it to enable PAN vs DUN.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: