Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[solved] libwebkitgtk broke after gcc upgrade?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trashHeap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: [solved] libwebkitgtk broke after gcc upgrade? Reply with quote

I haven't used gentoo in almost a decade. I did a fresh install about a week ago, and was able to dust off most of the cobwebs of my old knowledge successfully.

Today I did a:

Code:
emerge --update --newuse --deep @world
emerge  --depclean
revdep-rebuild

GCC was upgraded to 4.8.3 and an older version of GCC was removed.

I used gcc-config to correctly set the profile afterwards. Everything on my system is running well except for evolution which fails with this error at the commandline:

Code:
evolution: relocation error: /usr/lib64/libwebkitgtk-3.0.so.0: symbol _ZNSt6chrono12steady_clock3nowEv, version GLIBCXX_3.4.17 not defined in file libstdc++.so.6 with link time reference

Im rebuilding webkit-gtk now, which I suspect will right things. However, im curious what I should do to prevent it from breaking next GCC upgrade.

Last edited by trashHeap on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

per https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Upgrading_GCC
gcc-config <new gcc by title or list number>
env-update && source /etc/profile
emerge --oneshot libtool
trashHeap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
per https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Upgrading_GCC
gcc-config <new gcc by title or list number>
emerge --oneshot libtool

I did most of that save the "emerge --oneshot libtool".

I went through all the above steps (including the ones I already performed) and the error persists.

Closer googling of the symbol returns this bug. It looks like a GCC ABI issue?
truongan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the exact same problem. Not only evolution but epiphany also fail
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had gcc-4.8.3 and webkit-gtk-2.4.4-r201 for about a week . On that update I had to resolve circular dependencies with gcc-4.8.3 and glibc-2.19-r1 Just repeated the merge with no problems, my use flags as shown. gcc-config -l shows only 4.8.3 and shows it active. On the update last week 4.7.3 was deleted, 4.8.3 installed, 4.83 was not made active requiring a manual gcc-config. I did run source /etc/profile, env-update, emerge libtool after selecting gcc-4.8.3. My use flags as shown below:
[ebuild R ~] sys-devel/gcc-4.8.3:4.8 USE="cxx fortran (multilib) nls nptl openmp sanitize (-altivec) -awt -doc (-fixed-point) -gcj -go -graphite (-hardened) (-libssp) -mudflap (-multislot) -nopie -nossp -objc -objc++ -objc-gc -regression-test -vanilla"
[ebuild R ] net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.4.4-r201:2 [2.4.4-r1:3/25] USE="X egl geoloc gstreamer introspection jit libsecret opengl spell webgl (-aqua) -coverage -debug -gles2 {-test}"
[ebuild R ] sys-libs/glibc-2.19-r1:2.2 USE="gd (multilib) -debug (-hardened) -nscd -profile (-selinux) -suid -systemtap -vanilla"

I did not see a solution in the bug nor a solid reason for the problem. The mention in the bug of doing some compiling with a higher version and then attempting to revert gcc to an earlier version is a well known formula for disaster. I have been running with only one version of gcc installed and active for a long time (purposely - when I notice and remember - and accidentally - when portage decides to upgrade to new and delete old) which may account for my lack of problem. The bug does mention having an older gcc active with a newer gcc installed as a possible contributor.
trashHeap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebuilding webkit-gtk did not resolve the problem either, frustratingly enough.

DONAHUE wrote:
I did not see a solution in the bug nor a solid reason for the problem. The mention in the bug of doing some compiling with a higher version and then attempting to revert gcc to an earlier version is a well known formula for disaster. I have been running with only one version of gcc installed and active for a long time (purposely - when I notice and remember - and accidentally - when portage decides to upgrade to new and delete old) which may account for my lack of problem. The bug does mention having an older gcc active with a newer gcc installed as a possible contributor.

I only have one gcc version installed as of now. version 4.8.3. Atleast according to gcc-config
gr0sshirn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's maybe the same problem: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7639910.html
gordonp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have rebuilt libtool, and also webkit-gtk... no luck for me either :( Two desktop machines, with Evolution and Liferea busted:

Code:
evolution: relocation error: /usr/lib64/libwebkitgtk-3.0.so.0: symbol _ZNSt6chrono12steady_clock3nowEv, version GLIBCXX_3.4.17 not defined in file libstdc++.so.6 with link time reference

Like others in this thread, I am running 'stable' with versions:
Code:
[ebuild   R    ] net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.4.4-r201:2  USE="X egl geoloc gstreamer introspection jit libsecret opengl spell webgl (-aqua) -coverage -debug -gles2 {-test}" 0 kB

[ebuild   R    ] sys-devel/libtool-2.4.2-r1:2  USE="-static-libs {-test} -vanilla" ABI_X86="(64) (-32) (-x32)" 0 kB

[ebuild   R    ] mail-client/evolution-3.12.4:2.0  USE="bogofilter crypt ldap spell ssl weather -highlight -map -spamassassin" 0 kB

I am recompiling my entire box, to see if that fixes anything. But in a corporate environment, losing email (and a day of productivity trying to fix it) is AWFUL :(
trashHeap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to summarize things I have done for anyone else struggling with this:

I only have one version of gcc on my system. (4.8.3) and I have completed the following:
Code:
gcc-config 1
emerge --oneshot libtool

* rebuilt webkit-gtk-2.4.4-r201

* downgraded to webkit-gtk-2.2.6-r201

* rebuilt gcc
* rebuilt webkit-gtk-2.4.4-r201

So far after each step the problem has persisted.

I am now trying:
Code:
emerge -qa =net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.4.4-r1 net-libs/webkit-gtk sys-libs/glibc dev-libs/dbus-glib dev-python/dbus-python dev-qt/qtdbus dev-util/gdbus-codegen sys-apps/dbus dev-qt/qtwebkit --oneshot --keep-going

per here and here.

webkit-gtk is not the speediest things to compile, so its taking considerable time between attempts.
trashHeap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is problem!
Quote:
/usr/lib64 $ ls -lh libwebkit*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Oct 20 00:16 libwebkit2gtk-3.0.so -> libwebkit2gtk-3.0.so.25.10.7
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Oct 20 00:16 libwebkit2gtk-3.0.so.25 -> libwebkit2gtk-3.0.so.25.10.7
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 34M Oct 20 00:16 libwebkit2gtk-3.0.so.25.10.7
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Oct 27 22:07 libwebkitgtk-1.0.so -> libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0.22.10
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Oct 27 22:07 libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0 -> libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0.22.10
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 33M Oct 27 22:07 libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0.22.10
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Oct 20 00:16 libwebkitgtk-3.0.so -> libwebkitgtk-3.0.so.0.22.10
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Oct 20 00:16 libwebkitgtk-3.0.so.0 -> libwebkitgtk-3.0.so.0.22.10
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 32M Oct 20 00:16 libwebkitgtk-3.0.so.0.22.10

Note the time/date stamps. It doesn't look like emerging webkit-gtk rebuilds libwebkit2gtk-3.0.so* or libwebkitgtk-3.0.so*. Anyone have an idea of what im doing wrong there?
trashHeap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I think I solved this.

As noted in the other thread, emerging webkit-gtk-2.4.4-r1 followed by webkit-gtk-2.4.4-r201 will correct the problem.

Applications linked against libwebkitgtk-3.0.so and libwebkit2gtk-3.0.so will continue to fail no matter how often you rebuild webkit-gtk-2.4.4-r201. As it will not replace those libraries. webkit-gtk-2.4.4-r1 however will. The above solution is a bit non ideal as various existing applications will be running against different versions of webkit-gtk on your system. However it will fix the problem. I suspect applications linking against libwebkitgtk-3.0.so and libwebkit2gtk-3.0.so were compiled against the older webkit-gtk and that webkit-gtk had a library name change sometime recently. (Or something really strange is going on with webkit-gtk-2.4.4-r201 )

The cleaner solution is probably to do a complete purge of webkit-gtk (emerge -C webkit-gtk ) and then rebuild it and all applications that were linking to it. I am probably going to do that eventually, after I catch up on email.
sl70
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This helped me a lot. First I tried rebuilding both webkits and evolution and they all failed. Then I switched the gcc profile to 4.8.3, did the whole thing with env-update, resourcing /etc/profile, and rebuilding libtool. Then I rebuilt both webkit-gtk packages and evolution and they all built properly.
Thanks to everyone who commented in the thread!
Skirmitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl70 wrote:
This helped me a lot. First I tried rebuilding both webkits and evolution and they all failed. Then I switched the gcc profile to 4.8.3, did the whole thing with env-update, resourcing /etc/profile, and rebuilding libtool. Then I rebuilt both webkit-gtk packages and evolution and they all built properly.
Thanks to everyone who commented in the thread!

Following those steps solved my problem as well, had the same one.

Greetings
ipic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trashHeap wrote:
The cleaner solution is probably to do a complete purge of webkit-gtk (emerge -C webkit-gtk ) and then rebuild it and all applications that were linking to it. I am probably going to do that eventually, after I catch up on email.

This worked for me. My problem was recompiling gnucash after the gcc upgrade. Removing webkit-gtk and then re-emerging cured it for me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: