Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Request for update of Sigil Epub editor.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
52midnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Request for update of Sigil Epub editor. Reply with quote

I'd like to request an update of the Sigil Epub editor. The repo still appears to be at 0.6.2 even though 0.7.2 is out there, as reported on an earlier post:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-959020-highlight-sigil.html?sid=1a6616a5fa724aa53618230e84ae9e98

Quote:
Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:27 pm Post subject: SIGIL epub editor: Version diversion

Hi,

why is WINDOWS version up to 0.7.2 already while Gentoo repository still offers 0.6.2 on Linux?

Greets,
Sebastian

With thanks to whomever takes it on.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what it looks like, the newer versions of sigil requires qt5; which hasn't hit the regular tree yet (from what I can tell, there is still some major issues unresolved, before it can be unmasked). Beyond just needing qt5, it also wants some parts of qt that isn't in the core portion of the ebuild anymore. It seems, if you really want to use the newer versions of sigil; you will need to use the qt-overlay to get the necessary parts. Other wise, you get to join me on sitting on our butts; and waiting patiently till it is added. As I know, the gentoo developers isn't going to release something half assed. You are always welcome to help resolve some of the problems, enabling it to be released sooner (I know there's a good chance there is several other packages waiting for qt5 to be released; before they can be updated).
52midnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for an informative reply.

ct85711 wrote:
from what it looks like, the newer versions of sigil requires qt5; which hasn't hit the regular tree yet

I was once an enthusiastic KDE user and accepted Qt as a necessary evil. After they abandoned KDE 3.5 and brought in the abomination of KDE 4 etc. I've decided to be blunt and honest; I HATE Qt.

Quote:
use the qt-overlay to get the necessary parts.

This is interesting and problematic. I'm running Sigil but don't have Qt installed. The interface is primitive in terms of GUI style, and I'd guess that it uses Athena, wx or some other simplistic widget set. Be interested to know more.

Quote:
You are always welcome to help resolve some of the problems, enabling it to be released sooner

Be most happy to help where I could, but I'm basically a pensioned-off hardware engineer who's happy writing assembler, Perl, HTML and other languages of the nominally sane. Not sure that I could contribute much to the inextricably entangled verbiage of modern code, other than documenting a safe passage through it (assuming I survived the encounter).
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Request for update of Sigil Epub editor. Reply with quote

52midnight wrote:
I'd like to request an update of the Sigil Epub editor. The repo still appears to be at 0.6.2 even though 0.7.2 is out there ...
http://sigildev.blogspot.de/2014/10/sigil-081-released.html
52midnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, so it's even further behind than I thought. BTW, my mistake; qtcore IS on my system - left out a switch on the search command. So it looks like we're stuck until Qt5 gets its act together.

What about qt-overlay as mentioned by ct85711. I haven't used overlays before. Does this mean there's a work-around?

I'm not in an immediate hurry, but Sigil is now so far behind that we may need to mount a campaign to get it moving again. I've long suspected that the traditional distros will have been losing people to all the new mobile platforms, but hoped this wouldn't happen to Gentoo.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can follow the progress for this here:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=465436

It can't go into official portage until all the dependencies are in portage as well. When that will happen depends only on manpower. Meanwhile you can get qt-5 from the overlay and pick the sigil ebuild from that link.
52midnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for that. Looks like I'll have to bone up on overlays.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome.

I forgot one thing: the best way to request a new version is to open a bug in that bugzilla I linked, because the chance of the involved developer checking one very concrete post in a forum is quite low. That will ensure your petition will reach the right audience. Of course, before reporting, search because quite likely someone else might have already reported it, like it happened in this case.

There's nothing wrong with using the forum for that of course, it's just a matter of efectivity :)
52midnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I assumed there was a better way of submitting the request. I'll take a look.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: