Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can't connect wifi
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
IamPenguin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Can't connect wifi Reply with quote

First of all, sorry for my bad english XD

Anyway, I installed gentoo, and it boot fine and everything, but I can't connect wifi. When I run ifconfig or iwconfig I don't see wireless interface at all, like it doesn't exists. I downloaded driver and loaded the iwlwifi module, but it doesn't seems to work. Oh and I set my AP in /etc/conf.d/net(WEP security)
My Wireless card is Intel N-7260.

I'm totally at a loss about what I'm suppose to do to fix it S:

~I think this is the right place to post it, but if not move it to anywhere I'd needed to post it~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charles17
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 2526

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't connect wifi Reply with quote

Check your output of
Quote:
$ lspci -k
and look if the wireless network controller got its driver.
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wifi and
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Complete_Handbook/Configuring_the_system#Networking_information might help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IamPenguin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't connect wifi Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
Check your output of
Quote:
$ lspci -k
and look if the wireless network controller got its driver.
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wifi and
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Complete_Handbook/Configuring_the_system#Networking_information might help.


lspci -k:
Quote:
Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev 73)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Wireless-N 7260


I'd followed those guides and still nothing was changed...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charles17
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 2526

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't connect wifi Reply with quote

[quote="IamPenguin"]
charles17 wrote:
lspci -k:
Quote:
Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev 73)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Wireless-N 7260


I'd followed those guides and still nothing was changed...
Option -k should have shown the driver. Here I get
Code:
$ /usr/sbin/lspci -k
08:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
        Kernel driver in use: iwl3945
        Kernel modules: iwl3945

Have you checked the kernel options? Did you install the firmware?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IamPenguin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't connect wifi Reply with quote

[quote="charles17"]
IamPenguin wrote:
charles17 wrote:
lspci -k:
Quote:
Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev 73)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Wireless-N 7260


I'd followed those guides and still nothing was changed...
Option -k should have shown the driver. Here I get
Code:
$ /usr/sbin/lspci -k
08:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
        Kernel driver in use: iwl3945
        Kernel modules: iwl3945

Have you checked the kernel options? Did you install the firmware?

I installed the firmware and I think the kernel set fine. Maybe there're things that need to change, but I really don't know what is going on there and what I need to looking for. I used genkernel so I didn't work with the kernel options.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charles17
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 2526

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't connect wifi Reply with quote

As long the driver is not mentioned by lspci you don't have it. Guess you need CONFIG_IWLWIFI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IamPenguin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't connect wifi Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
As long the driver is not mentioned by lspci you don't have it. Guess you need CONFIG_IWLWIFI

OK. As a module or built-in?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 39671
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IamPenguin,

IamPenguin wrote:
... I used genkernel so I didn't work with the kernel options.


Oops. genkernel is a dumb script all genkernel kernels are the same unless you work with the kernel options. genkernel has a -menuconfig option for that.

There are several things genkernel leaves to the user, WiFi and 3D video acceleration being two of them.
So we know from your quote that you don't have WiFi support in your kernel.

Modules are preferred - it makes fimware loading so much easier.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charles17
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 2526

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Modules are preferred - it makes fimware loading so much easier.
Could you please drop some more words why the module driver does easier firmware loading than a built-in driver?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 39671
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles17,

There are four possible combinations for a module that needs fimware.
The module and firmware can both be in the kernel - that works
The module can be in /lib/modules and the firmware in /lib/firmware - that works too.
The other two combinations fail.
A built in driver cannot load its firmware from /lib/firmware as root is not yet mouted.
A loadable module cannot get its firmware from inside the kernel as its no longer available.

The wart on the face of both being in the kernel is that its not always clear at kernel build time which firmware you need.
Its then a kernel rebuild to fix it, after you read dmesg to find out the firmware file name you really need.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charles17
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 2526

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
charles17,

There are four possible combinations for a module that needs fimware.
The module and firmware can both be in the kernel - that works
The module can be in /lib/modules and the firmware in /lib/firmware - that works too.
The other two combinations fail.
A built in driver cannot load its firmware from /lib/firmware as root is not yet mouted.
A loadable module cannot get its firmware from inside the kernel as its no longer available.

The wart on the face of both being in the kernel is that its not always clear at kernel build time which firmware you need.
Its then a kernel rebuild to fix it, after you read dmesg to find out the firmware file name you really need.
Thanks for those clear words of explanation. Guess they could be very helpful for folks new to linux.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum