View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozymandias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: kde menu editor Reply with quote

Hi there,

Is there a utility where you can edit your kde menu, it is now full of apps I never use and the ones I do use aren't there. Or where does it build its menu structure from? I allso want to run custom commands in the popup menu from konqueror, any way to edit that one?

please help, Ozy
cphax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: kde menu editor Reply with quote

Try 'kmenuedit' to edit menus. It should be part of KDE base install.

I think KDE stores it's menus under /usr/kde/kde_version/share, but i've never had any reason to edit them directly.

For konqueror's menus, see:

/usr/kde/3.1/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/

(change the version to suit yours, my machine has 3.1alpha)

I think these can be configured from konqueror somewhere, but since i don't use it anymore, i wouldn't know.

Hopefully these will get you started! Good luck!
Ozymandias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright!
tnx cphax!

I tried kmenuedit before, but then it told me I needed root rights etc, and back then I didn't feel like hacking my complete system. But now I seem to be able to edit my entire menu! It works, thumps up for KDE.

greetz Ozy
paul138
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Bah Reply with quote

It's still lacking much functionality IMHO.

You'd think something as trivial as a menu editing tool would be fully functional :roll:
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys know you can just right click on the "K" and click "Edit Menu" right???

Just checking...

Derek
static55
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 10:49 pm    Post subject: kmenuedit Reply with quote

i think right clicking the K and selecting Menu Editor actually pops kmenuedit up.

i like editing menus from the command line.

/usr/kde/3/share/applnk is where the menu items and directory structure is. this affects all users. (for kde 3.0.2 and 3.0.3, anyway)

also, in /home/username/.kde/share/applnk are the menu items if you want to edit them on a per-user basis.

i seem to remember emerging a gnome app or two.. i think some desktop entries got added to some other gnome-specific (?) directory someplace on my system and kde found them and put them in my menu. i forgot where they were, but if you have a similar problem, you can find 'em like so:

find / | grep "\.desktop"

the mimetypes each app is responsible for loading is stored in the *.desktop files in those directories. it took me a while of fighting with the "file associations" in konqueror before i figured that one out.. :P

it's easier to edit mimetype-application associations from the command line too, imho.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: