View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfgauss
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Chromium 38 has too-large spacing and font Reply with quote

chromium-38.0.2125.44 has an address bar font which is larger than, say, Chrome on Windows. Also the spacing between menu entries is larger than its Chrome Windows cousin. This was not the case with chromium-34.

Can this be corrected?

Thanks for any pointers you can provide.

[SOLVED] RazielFMX provided a solution to the menu spacing (Chromium merely needed a breath of oxygen) and Gusar a solution to the addressbar font size (which I haven't tried.) [/SOLVED]

Last edited by cfgauss on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In latests versions chrome tries to use current style I think (I got very dark menu background at least - like in my qtcurve style ... but with black fonts :D, spacing in menu is bad too)
But addressbar looks normal - so maybe try changing style and check if it helps ?
( or maybe u have too big font for addressbar ? )
cfgauss
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mir3x wrote:
In latests versions chrome tries to use current style I think (I got very dark menu background at least - like in my qtcurve style ... but with black fonts :D, spacing in menu is bad too)
But addressbar looks normal - so maybe try changing style and check if it helps ?
( or maybe u have too big font for addressbar ? )

I have KDE and changing the Style in System Settings Application Appearance doesn't seem to have any effect on Chromium. These problems didn't exist in Chromium 34.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The addressbar size is hardcoded. A simple patch will change the hardcoded value:
Code:
diff -ur chromium-36.0.1941.0.orig/chrome/browser/defaults.cc chromium-36.0.1941.0/chrome/browser/defaults.cc
--- chromium-36.0.1941.0.orig/chrome/browser/defaults.cc   2014-04-15 09:14:06.000000000 +0200
+++ chromium-36.0.1941.0/chrome/browser/defaults.cc   2014-04-22 21:05:06.736103931 +0200
@@ -14,7 +14,7 @@
 #endif
 #endif

-const int kOmniboxFontPixelSize = 16;
+const int kOmniboxFontPixelSize = 11;

#if defined(OS_CHROMEOS) || defined(OS_MACOSX)
 const bool kBrowserAliveWithNoWindows = true;

Maybe there's something similarly simple for the menu spacing, but I haven't yet bothered to try to figure it out, I only have chromium as a backup browser.
cfgauss
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
The addressbar size is hardcoded. A simple patch will change the hardcoded value.

Could you point me to a link which gives more details on how to patch ebuilds? I'm assuming that each patch would be version-specific: i.e. a patch which works with chromium-37.0.2062.120.ebuild wouldn't work with chromium-38.0.2125.44.ebuild.

This is a menu under Gentoo's Chromium 38.0.2125.44 and this is the same menu under Windows 7 Chrome 36.0.1985.43. The spacing between Gentoo icons is much larger in the Gentoo version than the Windows version.

Any hints on how to correct this would be gratefully appreciated.
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not seem to have this problem (or it is less obvious). Here is how I have Chrome/KDE set up.

1) I have installed oxygen-gtk and oxygen-fonts; the former as I use oxygen themes in KDE and want GTK apps to use them and the latter was suggested by the Chromium ebuild.
2) I have configured Chromium to use GTK+ settings.
3) I have configured KDE to use Oxygen for GTK. This is actually important as this forces the generation of .gtkrc settings. Simply open up System Settings, go to Appearance, then go to GTK. Play with the drop downs; even if you have Oxygen selected already, change it, apply, then change it back, and apply again. This will force a rewrite with your most up to date settings.

I hope this helps!
cfgauss
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RazielFMX wrote:
...I hope this helps!

Many thanks. Your oxygen fix worked.Now Chromium looks like Windows Chrome and, presumably, Linux Chromium in other distributions (e.g. Ubuntu).

Interestingly, the Gentoo Chromium ebuild mentioned the necessity for kde-base/oxygen-icons, which I had, but not x11-themes/oxygen-gtk and media-fonts/oxygen-fonts, both of which are necessary to get a "useable" Chromium/KDE combination.

It would be helpful to us newbies if the ebuild had that additional information.
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting about oxygen-icons; this package was pulled in by portage for me by many other KDE packages. It might have something to do with my use flags I guess. I'm glad my fix worked!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: