View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordHog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: X-Server reports "no screen found" when attempting Reply with quote

Hello,

I am trying to following the videos by Scott called "Software Defined Radio with HackRF" and Scott recommends using Pentoo (which I understand is derived from Gentoo, so I thought I might try this forum after no luck in the Pentoo forums), so I thought I would try running it from a LiveUSB. I am no *NIX expert by any stretch of the imagination and most commands I found while searching how to fix this particular problem. When I try to launch X-windows (i.e., startx) I see:
Quote:
vesa: Ignoring device with a bound kernel driver
Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found(EE)

The full log (Xorg.0.log) can be found here: http://pastebin.com/5wjZT2np

I have been trying to follow along with the Gentoo threads on how to config the x-server, but I am not having any luck so far. I tried the following based upon a comment (it was from 2009, so kind of old), but it did not solve the problem:
Code:
emerge $(qlist -C -I x11-drivers/)

Tried to determine which kernel driver is being used
Code:
lspci -k

results in
Quote:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF104 [GeForce GTX 460] (rev a1)
Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0865
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia

Looking for any information in the logs (I am not sure what nouveau is, but I think it is some sort of generic display driver??)
Code:
dmesg | grep 'drm\|nvidia\|nouveau'

results in

Quote:
[ 14.933748] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[ 15.454859] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
[ 15.459998] [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20130102 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0

A listing of the emerge info
Code:
emerge --info

can be found http://pastebin.com/Zk5W9cii

The distro info was found by issuing
Code:
uname -a

resulted in
Quote:
Linux pentoo 3.15.5-pentoo #1 SMP Thu Aug 7 11:49:57 UTC 2014 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

I should also mention that I have two 24" displays connected to my PC which both have a resolution of 1920x1200. I am not sure what I need to do at this point in time, but if anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and kind regards,
Mark
luna80
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post your xorg.conf please?
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a mixed bag...

First of all, nvidia's binary blob isn't autodetected, so you need to pass a minimal snippet requesting the driver.

Second, I seem to recall reading something lately about nvidia blobs gaining support for KMS...Though I might have just misread something...
splurben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: this might help Reply with quote

I have a recent NVidia card working.

Here's my output:
Code:
# dmesg | grep -i 'drm\|nvidia\|nouveau'
[    3.264314] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[    3.339030] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
[    3.358778] [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20130102 for 0000:02:00.0 on minor 0
[    3.358916] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  343.13  Thu Jul 31 19:06:44 PDT 2014
[    3.426972] nvidia 0000:02:00.0: irq 91 for MSI/MSI-X
[    3.490593] input: HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=3 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.1/sound/card1/input18
[    3.491286] input: HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=7 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.1/sound/card1/input19
[   22.691925] nvidia 0000:02:00.0: irq 91 for MSI/MSI-X

I wonder if 'pentoo' has full kernel support for NVidia? Which release are you on?
LordHog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luna80, after googling how to find the xorg.conf file, I didn't find it anywhere in /usr/share/X11. I tried searching for it using

Code:
find . -iname xorg*

which resulted in

Quote:
./xorg.conf.d

Based upon two forum postings I found (here is one of them: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-928452-start-0.html) that this configuration file isn't really used these days??? There was a suggestion of creating one, but someone else advised against it. So, I am not sure if I should or not.

splurben, I acquired the latest version they have on their site which is 2014.0_RC3. I found it here: http://pentoo.east.us.mirror.inerail.net/Pentoo_i686_default/

Perhaps it might be a good idea to try loading Gentoo on the USB Flash drive and see if that works? Would that be a good data point to collect? Also, remember this is on a liveUSB drive, when I make modifications, how do I save it back to the LiveUSB drive such that the updated configurations are saved and will be used during the next boot?

Sorry for the slow response, work has been crazy and just found time this Friday night work on this again.

Regards,
Mark
splurben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: okay, to summarise Reply with quote

LordHog wrote:
Luna80, after googling how to find the xorg.conf file, I didn't find it anywhere in /usr/share/X11. I tried searching for it using

Code:
find . -iname xorg*

which resulted in

Quote:
./xorg.conf.d

Based upon two forum postings I found (here is one of them: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-928452-start-0.html) that this configuration file isn't really used these days??? There was a suggestion of creating one, but someone else advised against it. So, I am not sure if I should or not.

Many configurations leave out an xorg.conf file, but they are generally considered necessary for NVidia. Most 'live' distributions like this won't have one, but they'd also choose Nouveau or VESA automatically.

Nouveau doesn't require xorg.conf — Nouveau is the OpenSource reverse-engineered option for using NVidia hardware, but you should be able to get a screen up by choosing VESA or 'alternative video' when booting. I'm downloading Pentoo RC3 to see if I can help with that. With most distros, if you press any key during the first screen that appears, you'll get some feedback on alternative options. You want VESA or Alternative graphics. Just to get started.

LordHog wrote:
splurben, I acquired the latest version they have on their site which is 2014.0_RC3. I found it here: http://pentoo.east.us.mirror.inerail.net/Pentoo_i686_default/

Perhaps it might be a good idea to try loading Gentoo on the USB Flash drive and see if that works? Would that be a good data point to collect? Also, remember this is on a liveUSB drive, when I make modifications, how do I save it back to the LiveUSB drive such that the updated configurations are saved and will be used during the next boot?

Gentoo is not generally 'that kind' of installation, it's as much a development platform and there isn't a 'point and click' GUI installation.

Of course, you might want to try the new Iron Penguin LiveDVD which works on my NVidia systems. http://bouncer.gentoo.org/fetch/gentoo-20140826-livedvd/x86/ The LiveDVD multilib is what I use, but it'll depend on your hardware.

If you do decide to install Gentoo, which I would recommend, the handbook is here, and you'll want to look through it and see how it might fit into your current skills set: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/
You'll probably want either x86 (32-bit) or amd64 (64-bit, x86_64) architecture. If your system is from 2009, it's pretty likely to be usable on either, I'd recommend going with amd64 if your processor supports 64-bit.

I'll get back to you once I've tested Pentoo RC3 in a virtual machine.

LordHog wrote:
Sorry for the slow response, work has been crazy and just found time this Friday night work on this again.

Regards,
Mark

LordHog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage,

> First of all, nvidia's binary blob isn't autodetected, so you need to pass a minimal snippet requesting the driver.

I am not sure how I pass a minimal snippet request to the driver or what that really means. Does this involve the xorg.conf file?

Regards,
Mark
splurben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: video boot argument Reply with quote

It's outlined on this page — http://www.pentoo.ch/docs/bootcheatcodes

Normally, this works during the very beginning of the boot, you can 'append' or 'add to the end' of the boot arguments
Code:
xmodule=vesa

It'll be an hour before I have it downloaded to see exactly how the arguments are presented.
LordHog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splurben,

By accident (or sheer luck), I managed to download the exact Live image you referenced, Iron Penguin LiveDVD. I would had never known it was an Iron Penguin distro unless you stated it. I downloaded the file "livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-20140826.iso". I had to select the UEFI boot as the normal boot would not work. I also had to update the BIOS to allow OTHER OS (non-Windows) OS to boot or it would allow it *sign*.

Unfortunately, during the boot the system hangs at "waiting for uevents to be processed hang". I didn't want to debug another problem, so I am going to push the Penguin back onto the USB Flash drive. I should probably note that I am using unetbootin (unetbootin-windows-608.exe) to create the LiveUSB Flash drives.

I am going to try some of the other option during the boot that you mentioned.

Regards,
Mark
splurben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordHog wrote:
splurben,

By accident (or sheer luck), I managed to download the exact Live image you referenced, Iron Penguin LiveDVD. I would had never known it was an Iron Penguin distro unless you stated it. I downloaded the file "livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-20140826.iso". I had to select the UEFI boot as the normal boot would not work. I also had to update the BIOS to allow OTHER OS (non-Windows) OS to boot or it would allow it *sign*.

Unfortunately, during the boot the system hangs at "waiting for uevents to be processed hang". I didn't want to debug another problem, so I am going to push the Penguin back onto the USB Flash drive. I should probably note that I am using unetbootin (unetbootin-windows-608.exe) to create the LiveUSB Flash drives.

I haven't always had good results with UNETBOOTIN, however, on some hardware, "waiting for uevents to be processed" could take 10 minutes, but not usually. If you got to messages from UDEV (uevents) then UNETBOOTIN is probably working.

You should be disabling "Secure Boot", make sure you have the latest BIOS / firmware installed on the PC, and try BIOS booting before trying UEFI. If your machine is from 2009 it's not likely to adequately support UEFI. (Switch to "Legacy Boot" in the BIOS.)
LordHog wrote:

I am going to try some of the other option during the boot that you mentioned.

Regards,
Mark

LordHog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splurben

First of all, thanks for all the help so far. I certainly do appreciate it!! I tried adding the xmodule=vesa during the boot, but that didn't seem to help. Here is the entry from the dmesg log

Quote:
[ 0.000000] Kernel command line: initrd=/isolinux/pentoo.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc nox aufs max_loop=256 dokeymap looptype=squashfs loop=/image.squashfs cdroot video=uvesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap,1024x768-16 usbcore.autosuspend=1 console=tty0 net.ifnames=0 xmodule=vesa BOOT_IMAGE=/isolinux/pentoo

The full log can be found here: http://pastebin.com/LZX79YtX

Secondly, I must apologize, I was incorrect stating that I was using unetbootin as when I went back to Pentoo it wasn't working. I found out that I was actually using Universal-USB-Installer v1.9.5.5 for Windows to create the LiveUSB Flash drive.

While in the BIOS, I didn't see an option to disable Secure Boot, but I will have to go through it again. It seem it is necessary if you want to boot using UEFI though. I should try the Penguin again using Universal-USB-Installer. I will report back from that test run.

Regards,
Mark
LordHog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: *sign* Reply with quote

I used Universal-USB-Installer to install Iron Penguin, but the system doesn't boot. I followed the instructions that I found here:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/put-gentoo-10-1-live-dvd-on-usb-from-windows/

During the boot process I get the following error messages over and over:

Quote:
SYSLINUX 4.07 EDD 2013-07-25 Copyright (R) 1994-2013 H. Peter Anvin et al
Could not find kernel image: vesamenu.c32
boot:
Booting from local disk...

Seems that I need to sacrifice more pizza to the computer gods...

EDIT: I selected the UEFI boot option and Iron Penguin was able to boot, but it is still stuck at "waiting for uevents to be processed". Been stuck here for about 10 minutes, but I will leave for a while to see if it will complete.

Regards,
Mark
splurben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Had a sleep, and PENTOO is downloaded Reply with quote

I won't get a chance to try this until this evening (I'm in Western Australia UTC+8). But I've got a 2010 MSI / NVidia system, and a 2014 Gigabyte INTEL video UEFI system to test on, so we'll see what's up with this if you're still unable to use Pentoo.
splurben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: status Reply with quote

I've had a few busy days.

Are you still working on this? I'll be able to test in a few hours. If you still need assistance.
LordHog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splurben,

No worries, I haven't made too much success on my side. When I have some free time I will try out a few other live distros and see if I can get those to work. I have always heard nVidia can be a pain to get up and running under Linux, but I guess LiveCD/DVD/USB might be more difficult.

Regards,
Mark
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: