View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Gentoo Linux - Iron Penguin EDITION Reply with quote

Greetings Gentooligans!

It's been a while since a new livedvd has been released into the wild and I like to announce the 20140826 livedvd release. This livedvd brings lots of new packages in the ~arch (testing) branch. One of the great things about this new livedvd besides that it contains over 1200 packages is that it now supports full / persistency meaning that you can boot this livedvd, make tweaks as you like and reboot while retaining those changes. It's more like a Gentoo to Go if you ask me.

Another great feature which will be ported to all minimal install cds is support for UEFI. This image even boots on MAC OSX hardware! Yes you heard it right!

Instructions on how to enable full / persistency: (assuming you are going to use /dev/sdb)

Warning: All data on /dev/sdb will be lost when running the dd command below. You have been warned.

• # dd if=image.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=8192k
  • # fdisk /dev/sdb then create a primary partition which will be /dev/sdb4
  • # mke2fs -t ext2 /dev/sdb4
  • Reboot system and select your /dev/sdb drive as boot and once you see the bootloader prompt include 'aufs=/dev/sdb4' on the kernel line. Do this everytime you reboot the drive in order to retain your changes.

Booting on MAC OSX hardware all you do is follow the same steps above but while booting the /dev/sdb drive/usb stick you hold down alt/option key until you see the 'Gentoo' icon then double click load the bootloader.

Please report any bugs and if you have any packages you wish to have included make sure to look at the package list below before making your request.

Download torrents:

x86-amd64 ISO: http://bouncer.gentoo.org/fetch/gentoo-20140826-livedvd/x86/
amd64 ISO: http://bouncer.gentoo.org/fetch/gentoo-20140826-livedvd/amd64/

Package list:

x86-amd64: http://bpaste.net/show/447199/
amd64: http://bpaste.net/show/447203/

Enjoy this release.

likewhoa

Sticky - jmbsvicetto
2015-12-28: Unstuck, --kallamej

Last edited by likewhoa on Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:43 am; edited 8 times in total
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Tiz about time! Reply with quote

The 12/2012 edition not working so hot with recent btrfs installs was one of my chief grumbles. The minimal autobuild versions take care of that but leave a lot of to be desired.
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the beta .iso on a USB stick to boot an old 32-bit Macbook. (Yes, I did get the amd64-32ul version). I thought that finally with this GPT-understanding bootloader I could run a good, pleasant, and understandable OS on that Macbook. Suffice it to say I find the whole Mac experience to be very unsatisfactory. I was sure hoping to get Gentoo happiness, but no.

After getting the .iso image copied onto the USB stick, I started fdisk as the instructions said. Seeing fdisk's warning about there being a GPT on the disk, I thought that before going through the other preparation steps I would just try booting the Macbook without modifying the partition table. I held down the alt/option key while starting and saw the Gentoo logo come up after a few seconds. I doubleclicked the Gentoo icon (that's the first in the long line of evil things that Apple foisted upon the world--the need to double click because Apple mice have only one button because Steve Jobs was allergic to buttons) and waited through the machine's normal 5-minute boot. The login screen was the MacOS one, not a Linux one.

I did not see any ISOLINUX menus on the Macbook, but I did see them when I tried a normal BIOS-using machine.

Next I decided to try finishing the instructions and making that data partition with fdisk--even though this is a GPT-using machine. I made the partiiton and formatted it with ext2 as indicated and tried the boot again. This time, instead of the Gentoo logo I got an orange-and-white icon. Again what I got after five minutes was the MacOS login.

I thought I'd try using parted instead to create the data partiiton. (Instead of waiting for dd to write the whole image again--where most of it would stay unchanged--I added count=1 to write only a single 8-megabyte block back to the stick). Now it was parted's turn to complain. It said there was a GPT table but no MS-DOS table. Funny--fdisk had no problem finding the MBR. Parted suggested that the GPT it thought it had might really be an MBR, so it asked if this is really a GPT. If I answer yes, it says the backup GPT is not at the end of the disk and would I like to write one. I said yes and also yes that I'd want it to fix the GPT so that the backup GHP would be at the end of the disk--and then parted told me it could not find any partitions.

If I go back and answer no to the is-this-a-GPT-partition-table question, it still tells me it can't find any partitions.

I can confirm that it is not a matter of trying to run 64-bit binaries on a 32-bit machine: I can use the USB stick to boot an MBR-using 32-bit machine.

So is there some other magic sauce I need to apply?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, likewhoa. :-)

@miket: /join #gentoo-ten on IRC: chat.freenode.net
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miket wrote:
After getting the .iso image copied onto the USB stick, I started fdisk as the instructions said. Seeing fdisk's warning about there being a GPT on the disk, I thought that before going through the other preparation steps I would just try booting the Macbook without modifying the partition table.

Looks like you didn't actually dd the iso image to your usb stick as it doesn't create a GPT partition schema but MSDOS. Please follow the dd first and when doing 'fdisk' it should not complain about anything GPT. Keep in mind it doesn't matter that your machine is using GPT as the iso doesn't even touch your drives.

If you have any immediate supports needs join #gentoo-ten on irc.freenode.net and msg me on there. I have personally tested this iso on various macbook pros machines and it boots well and besides not being able to right click like normal everything should just work if not please report so i can debug and fix.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likewhoa,

Good work!

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likewhoa wrote:
Looks like you didn't actually dd the iso image to your usb stick as it doesn't create a GPT partition schema but MSDOS. Please follow the dd first and when doing 'fdisk' it should not complain about anything GPT.

Nice theory, but I did use dd as you specified, including the 8-megabyte blocksize. The computer is a MacBook1,1, not a Macbook Pro. Besides that, to make it more tricky, it has a Core Duo processor, which means it's 32 bits.

I did find one bit of missing magic sauce: fdisk can't be from the older but still stable util-linux 2.22.2 but needs to be newer. I needed version 2.24. This made it work all right with some of the other machines I had, including a Thinkpad T420 with both MBR and GPT support, but still not on that Macbook. I've also tried the amd64 ISO but still haven't tested things super extensively yet.

I did wonder, though, why not do the aufs mount of the persistence partition during early boot. By this time the device would be known and there would be no need to add a parameter to the command line at everyboot.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="miket"]
likewhoa wrote:
I did wonder, though, why not do the aufs mount of the persistence partition during early boot. By this time the device would be known and there would be no need to add a parameter to the command line at everyboot.

Future development will switch from using a file for the filesystem that is used and instead use the whole partition set in aufs=/dev/<DEV> so that later boots can auto-detect this partition.

w.r.t to the Mac1.x I have no had the chance to actually test the iso on such a device and have only been booting it on macbook pros/air laptops. Question, when you're booting the iso and you click on the "G" icon does it not load the grub menu or is it just rebooting back to OSX?

Please try the new torrents added now, perhaps they could give different results as a several bugs were fixed this week.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likewhoa, if I can hint something about that persistent changes feature, why won't you try to mount that extra device by label? You can fairly safely assume there is only one device named "IronPenguinSavedChanges", and it would be much more convenient than opt-in on every single boot
You don't even have to check if persistend changes device exists, just attempt to mount it. Success -> cool. Failur -> no problem, carry on.

I'll have a look at that iso once download completes :D (if ever, with my current connection everything is (im)possible )
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
likewhoa, if I can hint something about that persistent changes feature, why won't you try to mount that extra device by label? You can fairly safely assume there is only one device named "IronPenguinSavedChanges", and it would be much more convenient than opt-in on every single boot
You don't even have to check if persistend changes device exists, just attempt to mount it. Success -> cool. Failur -> no problem, carry on.

I'll have a look at that iso once download completes :D (if ever, with my current connection everything is (im)possible )

The problem is that users would need to be told to create said partition with the *required* label and that is not what I have in mind, but instead using a label on it from the first time 'aufs=/dev/<DEV>' is used will be how we will detect this partition on continued reboots.

The initramfs will create a filesystem with a specific label on /dev/<DEV> and we will search for this on every reboot to avoid having users enter 'aufs=/dev/<DEV>' every time, but they will need to enter it only once and this is better than telling them they need to create the partition+filesystem with a label because in the future I would like users to have the option of choosing what filesystem they want for /dev/<DEV> with aufs-fs=<FS>.

Thanks for the suggestion though and keep on testing! :)
Kings Lee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I am new here, but it seems that the torrent is dead... any other way to download it and try?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kings Lee,

Welcome to Gentoo.

x86-amd64 ISO: http://gentooligans.com/livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-13.0-r6.iso.torrent is working on my server in France.
I'll leave rtorrent running once its complete.

Code:
| file:     x86-amd64                                                                                                                    |
| size:     2,878,015,089 (3 GiB)                                                                                                        |
| dest:     /home/roy/x86-amd64                                                                                                          |
| progress: ##########__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ |
| status:   finishing in 1:09:55 (8.5%)                                                                                                  |
| dl speed: 704.2 KB/s                                                                                                                   |
| ul speed: 0.0 KB/s                                                                                                                     |
| sharing:  0.000  (0.0 MB up / 232.5 MB down)                                                                                           |
| seeds:    0 seen now, plus 0 distributed copies(1:44.4%, 2:8.4%, 3:0.0%)                                                               |
| peers:    1 seen now

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kings Lee wrote:
Sorry, I am new here, but it seems that the torrent is dead... any other way to download it and try?

I have updated to new revisions -r8.

x86-amd64 ISO: http://gentooligans.com/livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-13.0-r8.iso.torrent
amd64 ISO: http://gentooligans.com/livedvd-amd64-multilib-13.0-r8.iso.torrent

There are currently two seeders on it.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likewhoa,

I've just signed my server (in France) up for both of those at 2MB/sec each.
Poke me when you update so I can keep up to date

Edit ... and Seeding

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
likewhoa,

I've just signed my server (in France) up for both of those at 2MB/sec each.
Poke me when you update so I can keep up to date

Edit ... and Seeding

Thanks Neddy! I'll keep you updated on IRC :)
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like you could use some extra seedboxes. I'll try seeding the amd64 torrent for a while.
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Looks good so far Reply with quote

I just used it on a new system build. This was an AMD Piledriver on an ASUS mobo. This on-board Realtek:

Code:
09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 09)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P8 series motherboard
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 93
        I/O ports at b000 [size=256]
        Memory at da104000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Memory at da100000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 01
        Capabilities: [b0] MSI-X: Enable- Count=4 Masked-
        Capabilities: [d0] Vital Product Data
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel
        Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 39-00-00-00-68-4c-e0-00
        Kernel driver in use: r8169
        Kernel modules: r8169

didn't want to play nice, but I also dropped in an Intel NIC and went to that instead. I don't know why but that 8169 driver doesn't seem to like me with recent kernels. I have two A7850K Kaveri APU's with on-board Realteks that are working. However one of them starting getting persnickety when I put it under stress by pushing object stores through it in a Ceph cluster. I ended up dropping an Intel into that box as well.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After weeks of testing and fixing bugs, we have a Release Candidate ready for final testing. Please seed the latest torrent people. Report back any issues as always at the bug tracker.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likewhoa,

I'm in ...
I think.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: hmm? Reply with quote

Did you have a new link or are you just considering your r8 release the rc1 version?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaxbrat,

Its -r2 The numbers are being reused :(

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's official, the livedvd images are in mirrors. Expect a news releases tomorrow! \o/

Thanks for all the beta testing!
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't find the news release, or a link in the usual place (http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml) today. Am I correct in thinking the following link has the correct ISOs for offiial release of the LiveDVD?: http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/gentoo/releases/amd64/20140826/

EDIT: By the way, 'Install Adobe Flash' on the Desktop does not work, as licence acceptance is missing. I have to do the following in a Konsole/Terminal window to get www-plugins/adobe-flash to install:

Code:
$ sudo ACCEPT_LICENSE="*" emerge adobe-flash

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. thanx! :D
reup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded the new DVD livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-20140826 and wanted to try it on VirtualBox before making a usb pendrive

unfortunately I cannot load the ISO as LIVECD in Virtualbox while I can do it with other distro

has someone noticed some error in the DVD format ? I downloaded twice on different system to check if there was something wrong with the first file

reup

"Don't wiggle the tail of the frog in the oil of the frying peanuts"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: