[SOLVED]Yet another eudev vs udev conflict. >: /
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crackerjackthe4th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]Yet another eudev vs udev conflict. >: / Reply with quote

What's with the sudden beef with udev and eudev?
I haven't specified for either one in my USE flags and yet any time I wanna update anything, portage complains something along the lines of:

"the ebuild contains packages that cannot be installed at the same time on your system, blah blah blah."

I JUST got done resolving some issue with python, and now this?
How do I get rid of this? As far as I know, eudev is just a fork of udev, right? Is there any way to get rid of this forever and just ignore it completely? So far, adding "-eudev" to USE hasn't yielded any results.

My installation is still functional, but I'd rather not update and potentially break anything until I can figure this out.
So, anyone got any insight on what this is all about?

EDIT: I'm just gonna mark this as "solved" for now. No real problems here.

Last edited by Crackerjackthe4th on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do you have installed?

udev or eudev or both?

If you have both you may remove one of those two or mask one of those two.

It helps when you post some relevant porate output in this regard. thanks
Crackerjackthe4th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:
So what do you have installed?

udev or eudev or both?

Only one or the other can be installed at once. That's why portage is complaining.
I solved it temporarily by forcefully removing udev and installing eudev. All my data is backed up, so I'm not concerned about any failure for now.

On that note, I think you misunderstand, or I phrased my question improperly; I'm only asking for an explanation on eudev vs. udev. That's why I said my system is still functional; it hasn't hindered my daily activities at all, I'm just trying to learn something here.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you asked: "How do I get rid of this?" to which the answer is package.mask whichever one you do not want portage to consider as an option, as stated. If you've gone for eudev, that'd be:
Code:
echo 'sys-fs/udev' >> /etc/portage/package.mask

Thereafter portage shouldn't bother you about it again, unless a package specifically depends on sys-fs/udev or going forward, systemd which has absorbed it.
If you want to keep systemd off your machine (which you may well want to, if you are running eudev) add the following lines:
Code:
sys-apps/systemd                                                                                                             
>=gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3

Sorry for ignoring the wider point: I've got tired of repeating the wider argument and getting flamed for it.

This made me smile though (thanks tld :)
Crackerjackthe4th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Well you asked: "How do I get rid of this?" to which the answer is package.mask whichever one you do not want portage to consider as an option, as stated. If you've gone for eudev, that'd be:
Code:
echo 'sys-fs/udev' >> /etc/portage/package.mask

Ah. I probably should have been more clear, than. Thanks for the pointer.

steveL wrote:
Thereafter portage shouldn't bother you about it again, unless a package specifically depends on sys-fs/udev or going forward, systemd which has absorbed it.
If you want to keep systemd off your machine (which you may well want to, if you are running eudev) add the following lines:
Code:
sys-apps/systemd                                                                                                             
>=gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3

Sorry for ignoring the wider point: I've got tired of repeating the wider argument and getting flamed for it.

This made me smile though (thanks tld :)

lolocaust

Actually, I'm glad you brought that up. Not really a fan of systemd, either...it's part of the reason I came to Gentoo; everybody's drinking the Kool-aid, but Gentoo still offers choice.
Anyway, that's good to know. After you brought that up I found a few traces of that nonsense on my box-- gotta start cleaning that up now, I guess.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: