View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: HELP - tightvnc server crashes with large screen size Reply with quote

Running tightvnc's vncserver script, which invokes Xvnc, I get the server to run, and connect to it with the tightvnc vncviewer, but when I resize a window's width, the vnc server crashes.

I am invoking the server with vncserver :1 -geometry 3840x2160. That may look like a large screen, but I have a new Dell monitor that supports that resolution, so I would like to be able to use it. The connections is over an internal virtual network, as the vnc server is running on a gentoo os on a virtual machine, and the vnc viewer is running on the physical machine.

I have not had any crashes running the nvidia X-server on the physical machine, and when I look after the display disconnects, the vm is still running, but the vncserver is gone. It dies in an unclean manner, because the lock files are still there, and must be manually deleted.

I suspect it is a tight vnc server problem related to the large raster. 3840 * 2160 = 33,177,600; this is 31.64 MB of framebuffer. Maybe the vnc server was not designed to handle such a big framebuffer. Maybe it is just a memory allocation problem. Maybe it goes deeper than that.

Anybody else ever seen this before?

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have empirically determined that this problem lies in the tight compression, not in the RFB protocol as such. If I turn off tight compression, then it works. I suspect that some buffer is being overrun with the large 3840x2160 display size. Since I am currently only using this to display the virtual screen of a KVM virtual machine, and I am displaying iot on the host machine, the loss of tight compression is not a problem for me, but if/when I go to using it over a slower network, it will become a problem once again.

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: