[solved] Adding mic to the PulseAudio 5.1 configuration
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gilgwath
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: [solved] Adding mic to the PulseAudio 5.1 configuration Reply with quote

Hello folks.

As Skype has dropped ALSA support and recently also dropped all clients with software version <4.3 I was forced to move to PulseAudio. Basically I am a giant squid of anger about this behaviour by Skype :evil: but that is a story for another time.

I added the pulseaudio USE-Flag's in /etc/portage/make.conf and did a
Code:
emerge -auNDv world
while following this guid on the wiki. I was surprised that nothing was broken after a first reboot, as it was as I messed around with pulse some years ago. I also emerged media-sound/pavucontrol-2.0 as suggested by the guid.

As for audio replay everything is fine. I selected the "Analog Sourround 5.1 Output" profile in pavucontroll. Kmix lets me control output levels for different applications now, thats pretty neat but nor really needed.

What I am missing on the other hand is my microphone. I can select the 5.1 profile, and mic does not work. Or I can select "Analog Stereo Output + Analog Mono/stereo Input" an then the mic works and I have Stereo Sound output. But thats not what I want to have. I want something like "Analog Surround 5.1 Output + Analog Something Input" How do I do this? I am just very confused at the moment. I have like 10 different knobs to turn but I do not know which one will yield the wanted result. I mean there is alsamixer, Kmix, KDE Audio Setup (Phono framework), /etc/pulse/daemon.conf, /etc/pulse/default.pa and there is also talk bout /etc/asound.conf and ~/asound.rc on the internet.

I knew that pulse is a mess and overly complicated for a normal desktop and that is why I wanted to avoid it in the first place. Can some one pleas help me? I'll be happy to provide config files or system output if needed, I just did not know what to post here. As I said: I am very confused.

Thx for any help.

gilgwath

Last edited by Gilgwath on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According with the guide, nobody should be in the audio group, even not pulse itself. For Alsa, you just have to redirect Alsa requests to Pulseaudio with /etc/asound.conf and/or $HOME/.asoundrc configure like this:
Code:
pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

With that configuration, Pulseaudio become the real manager of the audio card with Pavucontrol. Alsamixer is set to Pulseaudio, but you can use the F6 key to control the mixers with Alsa.
From the moment all the material is présent in Pavucontrol, there's no need to configure /etc/pulse/default.pa or else for Pulseaudio, unless you can set Pulseaudio to something else than the default configuration. The Paprefs package add other Pulseaudio options. Pasystray is a good tool too.

I use Pulseaudio mainly for Bluetooth headset with Bluez 5 and Systemd. I may want to go back to Bluez 4 and black list -pulseaudio and -systemd in the global USE flags. Bluetooth microphone is not supported with Bluez 5 but is with Bluez 4.

Pulseaudio is the only way I found to mix different sources with Bluetooth audio.
Gilgwath
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your quick response.

Audio group was already empty and adding the ~/.asroundrc did not help, neither did /etc/asound.conf. The system detects the mic input just fine if I use the "analog stereo output + analog stereo/mono input". When I use the "Analog Surround 5.1" profile, The Phonon gui also shows the mic, but it is grey out and pauvcontrol does not show it in the input section. Some how I just miss the a proper profile to allow 5.1 output and simultaneous mic input.

gilgwath

edit: this is the info about my sound card
Code:
 lspci -vv | grep -i -n10 audio

748:08:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8738/CMI8768 PCI Audio (rev 10)
749:    Subsystem: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
750-    Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping+ SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
751-    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
752-    Latency: 32 (500ns min, 6000ns max)
753-    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 18
754-    Region 0: I/O ports at b000 [size=256]
755-    Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
756-            Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
757-            Status: D0 NoSoftRst- PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
758-    Kernel driver in use: snd_cmipci
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I see is that Analog Surround 5.1 is stereo and mono input is ... mono what make them incompatible together. It seem's to be a material limitation.
Gilgwath
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just popped in a Ubuntu live cd to test it with a more standard distro. It seems like it is literally the choice between having 5.1 output or having stereo output + stereo input. Gnarf. This is somewhat stupid. You think this is a hw limitation? Looks like I have to try the on-board sound for once. This means recompiling my kernel *yay* =) I will come back with results later.

Edit1 19.8.14

Just removed the PCI card and switched to on-board audio. Works like a charm in the ubuntu livesystem. Gonna compile the driver into the kernel now. Funny thing, that my the PCI-card can not do this. Not sure if this is a bug in the driver/pulseAudio or if its is really the hardware. But i think neither could be fixed since the chip is quite old :? :lol: oh and most of all it is a c-media chip...

Edit2 19.8.14

Ok now I have what i want with the on-board sound device. Spent another day hunting a ghost in the wires =) Think I have to replace that card... it is about time after some 10 years in use. Or should I report a bug for the driver of the chip?

Thank you for your help and guidance, Logicien!

@admin This is resolved and can be closed
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: