screencasting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adel Ahmed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: screencasting Reply with quote

I'm planning to record my gaming/work sessions.
gtk-record mydeskop works fine except for 2 things:
- switching resolution during recording crashes the recorder(not critical, I can start recording after the game starts running)
- output is huge in size(100 MB for 5 minutes of recording) this is critical, I will be recording and archiving many things, I need compact size without compromising quality
- voice and video are out of sync

I'm open to other screencasting software, I'm also willing to convert the videos instead(I'll need help with that though)

if the second option is more viable, what containers and codecs are good for both size and quality(I'm clueless)

thanks
swathe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple Screen recorder seems pretty popular with people on youtube.
Adel Ahmed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[PageOutput::PageOutput] Error: Could not find any suitable video codec in libavcodec!

I can't install libavcodec because it conflicts with ffmpeg, and ffmpeg is essential for some scripts on my laptop
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakdeath wrote:

I can't install libavcodec because it conflicts with ffmpeg, and ffmpeg is essential for some scripts on my laptop

Since you have ffmpeg installed, why would not use it for screencasting? ffmpeg records screen just fine.
And doesn't conflict himself :D
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

To expand upon the above a little bit, check for example the topic: screencasting software recommendation?

There's even an example included! ^^
Adel Ahmed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried running ffmpeg screencasting:
ffmpeg -f x11grab -s cif -r 25 -i :0.0 /tmp/out.mpg
and got:
Encoder (codec none) not found for output stream #0:0
Adel Ahmed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trid runnig the script mentioned in the topic but I get:
[NULL @ 0x14eae10] Unable to find a suitable output format for 'AUDIO_CODEC'
AUDIO_CODEC: Invalid argument

here are my use flags:
media-video/ffmpeg-1.2.6 USE="X alsa mmx mmxext theora threads truetype vaapi vpx x264 -3dnow -3dnowext -aac -aacplus (-altivec) -amr -avx -bindist -bluray -bzip2 -cdio (-celt) -cpudetection -debug -doc -encode -examples -faac -fdk -flite -fontconfig -frei0r -gnutls -gsm -hardcoded-tables -iconv -iec61883 -ieee1394 -jack -jpeg2k -libass -libcaca -libsoxr -libv4l -modplug -mp3 (-neon) -network -openal -openssl -opus -oss -pic -pulseaudio -rtmp -schroedinger -sdl -speex -ssse3 -static-libs {-test} -twolame -v4l -vdpau (-vis) -vorbis -xvid -zlib" FFTOOLS="-aviocat -cws2fws -ffescape -ffeval -fourcc2pixfmt -graph2dot -ismindex -pktdumper -qt-faststart -trasher" 0 kB
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you show us the script you're running and how you're trying to run it
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly you have specified codec that missed on your system.

The very first example I've found on google records my screen:
Code:
ffmpeg -f x11grab -r 25 -s 1024x768 -i :0.0 -vcodec huffyuv screencast.avi

You can check for availible codecs with
Quote:
ffmpeg -formats

As for me, I have ffmpeg built with these flags:
Code:
media-video/ffmpeg-1.2.6-r1 was built with the following:
USE="X aac alsa bzip2 encode hardcoded-tables iconv mmx mp3 network sdl truetype vorbis x264 xvid zlib -3dnow -3dnowext -aacplus (-altivec) -amr -avx -bindist -bluray -cdio (-celt) -cpudetection -debug -doc -examples -faac -fdk -flite -fontconfig -frei0r -gnutls -gsm -iec61883 -ieee1394 -jack -jpeg2k -libass -libcaca -libsoxr -libv4l -mmxext -modplug (-neon) -openal -openssl -opus -oss -pic -pulseaudio -rtmp -schroedinger -speex -ssse3 -static-libs -test -theora -threads -twolame -v4l -vaapi -vdpau (-vis) -vpx" ABI_X86="64 -32 -x32" FFTOOLS="aviocat cws2fws ffescape ffeval fourcc2pixfmt graph2dot ismindex pktdumper qt-faststart trasher"
Adel Ahmed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason, I have no encoders on my system, I found out by running ffmpeg -codecs, I have x264 compiled with encode support sp this is a bit weird. I'll start trying to resolve this problem
Adel Ahmed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got nothing so far
any help?
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakdeath wrote:
here are my use flags:
media-video/ffmpeg-1.2.6 USE="X alsa mmx mmxext theora threads truetype vaapi vpx x264 -3dnow -3dnowext -aac -aacplus (-altivec) -amr -avx -bindist -bluray -bzip2 -cdio (-celt) -cpudetection -debug -doc -encode -examples -faac -fdk -flite -fontconfig -frei0r -gnutls -gsm -hardcoded-tables -iconv -iec61883 -ieee1394 -jack -jpeg2k -libass -libcaca -libsoxr -libv4l -modplug -mp3 (-neon) -network -openal -openssl -opus -oss -pic -pulseaudio -rtmp -schroedinger -sdl -speex -ssse3 -static-libs {-test} -twolame -v4l -vdpau (-vis) -vorbis -xvid -zlib" FFTOOLS="-aviocat -cws2fws -ffescape -ffeval -fourcc2pixfmt -graph2dot -ismindex -pktdumper -qt-faststart -trasher" 0 kB

You might want to try enabling some more flags (encode for example might be important!).

Here are my (current) flags for it (note that the version I'm using is 'unstable', and even hard-masked right now):

Code:
media-video/ffmpeg-2.3.1 was built with the following:
USE="3dnow 3dnowext X aac alsa bzip2 encode faac hardcoded-tables iconv jpeg2k mmx mmxext mp3 network openal opengl rtmp sdl sse sse2 sse3 threads truetype v4l vdpau vorbis x264 xvid zlib -aacplus (-altivec) -amr -amrenc (-armv5te) (-armv6) (-armv6t2) (-armvfp) -avx -avx2 -bindist -bluray -bs2b -cdio -celt -cpudetection -debug -doc -examples -fdk -flite -fma3 -fma4 -fontconfig -frei0r -fribidi -gme -gnutls -gsm -iec61883 -ieee1394 -jack -ladspa -libass -libcaca -libsoxr -libv4l (-mips32r2) (-mipsdspr1) (-mipsdspr2) (-mipsfpu) -modplug (-neon) -openssl -opus -oss -pic -pulseaudio -quvi -samba -schroedinger -speex -sse4 -sse4_2 -ssh -ssse3 -static-libs -test -theora -twolame -vaapi -vpx -wavpack -webp -x265 -xop -zvbi" ABI_X86="32 64 -x32" FFTOOLS="aviocat cws2fws ffescape ffeval ffhash fourcc2pixfmt graph2dot ismindex pktdumper qt-faststart trasher"

Adel Ahmed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks it's all good now
jaeyeom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
To expand upon the above a little bit, check for example the topic: screencasting software recommendation?

There's even an example included! ^^

Indeed that helped me a lot. Somehow Google search shows this thread instead of the thread you linked. The script you showed is so easy to use! I just had to delete lossless_ultrafast and emerge xwininfo, and that was it! Thank you so much!
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

jaeyeom wrote:
Indeed that helped me a lot. Somehow Google search shows this thread instead of the thread you linked. The script you showed is so easy to use! I just had to delete lossless_ultrafast and emerge xwininfo, and that was it! Thank you so much!

That is a very cool blast from the past. Always a bit weird to read things I've written so long ago, not remembering about it any longer...

While I'm here, I might also mention that there is 'media-video/obs-studio' these days, and even if it might be mainly used by live content streamers, it can be pretty convenient for local recording as well.

Of course one might still prefer plain old FFmpeg, and that's fine too!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: