View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shtumpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: installed base system.. now what Reply with quote

Hi all...

I have installed and updated the base system ... Using profile desktop.

I'm unsure now what to do to get gnome and gdm installed...

Any help please... Not sure what info on the net to follow... I do not have x or anything installed as yet..

So it really is the base system

Cheers
Mark
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the full fat gnome desktop just
Code:
emerge --ask --verbose gnome

That will pull in X etc. gnome (or at least gdm, not entirely sure) requires systemd these days although I'm not sure if you have to have booted with systemd as init or just have it installed.

It may require the --autounmask-write switch, read the output from emerge carefully.
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with xorg server installation. You need it regardless which DE you will use.
Take a look at gentoo wiki.
shtumpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guy's..

Started doing Xorg about 30 mins ago .... Think i might go gnome-light for now, so i can add in just the stuff i want ... also dont want to deal with system D just yet... and i'm really not likeing the looks of gnome 3 at all..

Thanks for your help.. i'll keep you updated... Cheers ..
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shtumpa wrote:
Think i might go gnome-light for now, so i can add in just the stuff i want ... also dont want to deal with system D just yet... and i'm really not likeing the looks of gnome 3 at all..

There are Mate and Cinnamon - Gnome2 forks. They looks like traditional desktops.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MATE is a good alternative if you want to have a Gnome-ish desktop without needing the new stuff.

I must admit I decided I hated all the new DEs and went back to KDE3.5 :lol:

This is what I love about Gentoo - With no other distro could I have gone back to KDE3.5!
(Although when they get around to pulling Trinity into the tree I will surely give that a try!)

One thing I will recommend. Okay, 2 things:

1) Write down or copy into a text file everything you do; It is very easy to get lost and confused in Gentoo, and having documented what you're doing really helps.
I make a note of command lines I use, changes to things in /etc, emerge commands and what they are going to do etc.

2) Install demerge - It is a godsend when experimenting with new programs and anything to do with X. You can run demerge -- record, then install what you want, and if you decide you hate it and want to get rid of the three hundred packages it installed, you can just run demerge --restore-previous instead of gambling with emerge --depclean and breaking your system :P
IMHO this tool should be a standard part of portage!
shtumpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creaker wrote:
shtumpa wrote:
Think i might go gnome-light for now, so i can add in just the stuff i want ... also dont want to deal with system D just yet... and i'm really not likeing the looks of gnome 3 at all..

There are Mate and Cinnamon - Gnome2 forks. They looks like traditional desktops.

Yer, looked at them, Cheers... Gnome light will do me, as i only want the stuff i use installed... Gives me more control..
shtumpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
MATE is a good alternative if you want to have a Gnome-ish desktop without needing the new stuff.

I must admit I decided I hated all the new DEs and went back to KDE3.5 :lol:

This is what I love about Gentoo - With no other distro could I have gone back to KDE3.5!
(Although when they get around to pulling Trinity into the tree I will surely give that a try!)

One thing I will recommend. Okay, 2 things:

1) Write down or copy into a text file everything you do; It is very easy to get lost and confused in Gentoo, and having documented what you're doing really helps.
I make a note of command lines I use, changes to things in /etc, emerge commands and what they are going to do etc.

2) Install demerge - It is a godsend when experimenting with new programs and anything to do with X. You can run demerge -- record, then install what you want, and if you decide you hate it and want to get rid of the three hundred packages it installed, you can just run demerge --restore-previous instead of gambling with emerge --depclean and breaking your system :P
IMHO this tool should be a standard part of portage!

Hmmm ... I like the sound of "demerge" I will look into that for sure.. Thanks ...

Write down or copy into a text file everything you do, A must.. For a tired brain.. that has not done this for about 8 years,, lol My VERY old Gentoo stills runs well, but it's very dated !

Thanks for the support fellas... I have X uP and running, doing the bit's needed to get ready for Gnome-Light.. :-) Will keep you updated.. It's all coming back to me now.. Bit hard at first to remember what to do when you have not run emerge in about 5 years... LOL

Cheers

""
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:

There is 'history' command. Though it's limit a bit small - 500 commands by default. Usually I expanding it up to 1000.
shtumpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, run into a snag.. need some help .. how do i post out the problem from the terminal?
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try wgetpaste, it's in the portage tree.

From the wiki:

Collecting Additional Information

When seeking help you will often be asked for addition information, such as the output of a command. Some of these produce dozens or hundreds of lines of text - too much to be suitable for pasting into IRC chatrooms, such as the Gentoo support channel on Freenode. That's where wgetpaste comes in handy - it allows you to post short links of long output. Make sure you have merged app-text/wgetpaste, and then you're ready to be helped.
Code:
root # emerge --ask wgetpaste

Let's say you want to show your configuration file /etc/conf.d/net, using wgetpaste is as simple as:
Code:
user $ wgetpaste /etc/conf.d/net

Or let's say that you want to show what the detailed output of your lspci command is, you can just run:
Code:
root # lspci -nnk | wgetpaste

Sometimes you need to redirect stderr to stdout so that you can paste error messages. That can be done like this:
Code:
root # emerge -pv 2>&1 | wgetpaste

These return a link to a pastebin that you can easily share with someone to get help. Things that you should consider pasting if you want help:

If you have hardware problems or kernel issues:
Code:
user $ wgetpaste /usr/src/linux/.config

If you have portage issues:
Code:
root # emerge --verbose --info | wgetpaste

If compilation of a package fails:
Code:
root # wgetpaste /var/tmp/portage/<category>/<package>-<version>/temp/build.log

If you are having issues with Xorg:
Code:
user $ wgetpaste /var/log/Xorg.0.log

If you need to show a developer all installed packages on your system:
Code:
root # eix-update && eix-installed all
[/code]
shtumpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks doing now..
shtumpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i can output this http://bpaste.net/show/605045/ , but it's not showing the error after that ..

you can see at the end there is 4 BLOCKS, I think that is all that causing the issue ... But i don't know what to do .. if i try and emerge -C sys-power/upower it comes back as Couldn't find sys-power/upower
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shtumpa,

wgetpaste is your friend.
If you also use gpm, you can copy/paste from the console.

Thats a few pointers in the spirit of teaching you to fish, rather than giving you a fish.
Ask if you need more

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
shtumpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
shtumpa,

wgetpaste is your friend.
If you also use gpm, you can copy/paste from the console.

Thats a few pointers in the spirit of teaching you to fish, rather than giving you a fish.
Ask if you need more

Been searching for the last hour, i cant work out how to make wgetpaste post the Whole console text

as you can see from the above posted link i can get it to output all the emerge info but not the errors under that ..

Main problem is i dont know how to deal with the blocks..

[blocks B ] sys-apps/systemd ("sys-apps/systemd" is blocking sys-fs/udev-215-r1)
[blocks B ] sys-power/upower ("sys-power/upower" is blocking sys-power/upower-pm-utils-0.9.23-r2)
[blocks B ] sys-fs/udev ("sys-fs/udev" is blocking sys-apps/systemd-215-r3, sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration-4)
[blocks B ] sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration ("sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration" is blocking sys-fs/udev-215-r1)

If i infact try and unmerge sys-power/upower for example it cant because it's not installed in the first place.. so i dont know what i need to do, been reading for a few hours now, i dont get it.. I can see that sys-power/upower" is blocking sys-power/upower-pm-utils-0.9.23-r2 but i dont know how to stop it.
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try setting -upower in your use flags in /etc/portage/make.conf to solve one of them[/code]

for example:

[code]USE=$"-upower"

This will disable that flag globally, if this is undesirable then it should be done (or overridden) on a package by package basis in /etc/portage/package.use.

It's probably worth posting your make.conf and any other files you might have modified in /etc/portage.
shtumpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i finally got it all.. This is from trying to do ..

"emerge gnome-light"

Code:

[blocks B      ] sys-power/upower ("sys-power/upower" is blocking sys-power/upower-pm-utils-0.9.23-r2)
[blocks B      ] sys-apps/systemd ("sys-apps/systemd" is blocking sys-fs/udev-215-r1)
[blocks B      ] sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration ("sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration" is blocking sys-fs/udev-215-r1)
[blocks B      ] sys-fs/udev ("sys-fs/udev" is blocking sys-apps/systemd-215-r3, sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration-4)

Total: 231 packages (225 new, 3 in new slots, 3 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 332,736 kB
Conflict: 4 blocks (4 unsatisfied)

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

sys-apps/dbus:0

(sys-apps/dbus-1.8.6::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)

(sys-apps/dbus-1.8.6::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=sys-apps/dbus-1.6.8-r1:0[systemd] required by (sys-apps/systemd-215-r3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

!!! Enabling --newuse and --update might solve this conflict.
!!! If not, it might help emerge to give a more specific suggestion.

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-fs/udev-215-r1::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=sys-fs/udev-208-r1:0/0[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_ppc_32(-)?,abi_ppc_64(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?,gudev,introspection?,static-libs?] (>=sys-fs/udev-208-r1:0/0[abi_x86_64(-),gudev,introspection]) required by (virtual/libgudev-215-r1::gentoo, installed)
    >=sys-fs/udev-208-r1:0/0[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_ppc_32(-)?,abi_ppc_64(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?,static-libs?] (>=sys-fs/udev-208-r1:0/0[abi_x86_64(-)]) required by (virtual/libudev-215-r1::gentoo, installed)
    >=sys-fs/udev-208-r1 required by (virtual/udev-215::gentoo, installed)

(sys-apps/systemd-215-r3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=sys-apps/systemd-31 required by (gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.12.1-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    >=sys-apps/systemd-31 required by (gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.12.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    sys-apps/systemd required by (gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.12.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    >=sys-apps/systemd-186:0=[pam] required by (gnome-base/gdm-3.12.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    >=sys-apps/systemd-207 required by (sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration-4::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    >=sys-apps/systemd-44-r1[pam] required by (sys-auth/pambase-20120417-r3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    sys-apps/systemd:0= required by (sys-apps/dbus-1.8.6::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(sys-power/upower-0.99.0-r1::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >sys-power/upower-0.99 required by (x11-wm/mutter-3.12.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    sys-power/upower required by @selected
    >=sys-power/upower-0.99 required by (gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.12.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    sys-power/upower required by (net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.8.10-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    >=sys-power/upower-0.99 required by (gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.12.1-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    >=sys-power/upower-0.99[introspection] required by (gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.12.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(sys-power/upower-pm-utils-0.9.23-r2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (net-im/telepathy-mission-control-5.16.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

Link to full list.. http://bpaste.net/show/605400/
shtumpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just noticed that in my USE Flags i had gnome as -gnome for some reason.. If i remove the - i know get this output..

Code:

hese are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies  ... done!

[ebuild  N     ] gnome-base/gnome-light-3.12.0:2.0  USE="cups gnome-shell" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ]  gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.12.1-r1:2  USE="bluetooth colord cups gnome-online-accounts i18n -debug -kerberos -v4l" INPUT_DEVICES="-wacom" 6,706 kB
[ebuild  N     ]   gnome-extra/nm-applet-0.9.8.10-r1  USE="bluetooth introspection -gconf -modemmanager" 1,206 kB
[nomerge       ] gnome-base/gnome-light-3.12.0:2.0  USE="cups gnome-shell"
[nomerge       ]  gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.12.2  USE="bluetooth i18n networkmanager (-openrc-force)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
[ebuild  N     ]   gnome-base/gdm-3.12.2  USE="branding introspection ipv6 systemd tcpd -accessibility -audit -debug -fprint -plymouth (-selinux) -smartcard {-test} -wayland -xinerama" 1,516 kB
[ebuild  N     ]  x11-terms/gnome-terminal-3.12.3  USE="gnome-shell nautilus" 1,681 kB
[nomerge       ] gnome-extra/nm-applet-0.9.8.10-r1  USE="bluetooth introspection -gconf -modemmanager"
[ebuild  N     ]  virtual/notification-daemon-0  USE="gnome" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ]   gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.12.2  USE="bluetooth i18n networkmanager (-openrc-force)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 1,505 kB

Total: 7 packages (7 new), Size of downloads: 12,613 kB

* Error: circular dependencies:

(virtual/notification-daemon-0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) depends on
 (gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.12.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) (runtime)
  (gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.12.1-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) (runtime)
   (gnome-extra/nm-applet-0.9.8.10-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) (buildtime)
    (virtual/notification-daemon-0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) (buildtime)

It might be possible to break this cycle
by applying the following change:
- virtual/notification-daemon-0 (Change USE: -gnome)

Note that this change can be reverted, once the package has been installed.

Note that the dependency graph contains a lot of cycles.
Several changes might be required to resolve all cycles.
Temporarily changing some use flag for all packages might be the better option.

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

sys-apps/dbus:0

(sys-apps/dbus-1.8.6::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)

(sys-apps/dbus-1.8.6::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=sys-apps/dbus-1.6.8-r1:0[systemd] required by (sys-apps/systemd-215-r3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

!!! If not, it might help emerge to give a more specific suggestion.

* IMPORTANT: 6 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news to read news items.

mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

note this from what you posted (I didn't notice portage suggesting fixes for problems at first either):

Code:
!!! If not, it might help emerge to give a more specific suggestion

try adding those arguments to the emerge command:
Code:
# emerge --newuse --update gnome-light
shtumpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbassie wrote:
note this from what you posted (I didn't notice portage suggesting fixes for problems at first either):

Code:
!!! If not, it might help emerge to give a more specific suggestion

try adding those arguments to the emerge command:
Code:
# emerge --newuse --update gnome-light

Same * Error: circular dependencies: issue .. :-()
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post your make.conf.
shtumpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbassie wrote:
post your make.conf.

doing the install in virtualbox for the moment until i get it right..

Code:

CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
USE="python bindist mmx sse sse2"
USE="gnome gtk dbus X pulseaudio alsa opengl dvd -kde"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
DISTDIR="${PORTDIR}/distfiles"
PKGDIR="${PORTDIR}/packages"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://203.0.178.32/linux/Gentoo ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au/linux/Gentoo"
#ACCEPT_LICENSE="* @EULA"
#LINGUAS="en en_AU en_GB en-US"
INPUT_DEVIES="evdev virtualbox"
VIDEO_CARDS="virtualbox"
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first problem is due to Gnome3 needing systemd, so you'd have to convert your whole system from OpenRC+udev to systemd first.

If you want an easy life, I'd try cinnamon or mate instead...

There is a gigantic hidden flamewar going on vs systemd and I'm trying to stay away from anything connected to systemd at the moment! I've even chucked udev in favour of eudev as there is a good chance udev will disappear into systemd in the mid-future.

Also, I'd highly recommend installing demerge and taking a snapshot before you start on this wonderful adventure; That way you can try them out until you find one you like, then undo the lot and only install the one you want! :)
shtumpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.. long story but now it seems happy..

i just have the Blocks to deal with ..

[blocks B ] sys-apps/systemd ("sys-apps/systemd" is blocking sys-fs/udev-215-r1)
[blocks B ] sys-power/upower ("sys-power/upower" is blocking sys-power/upower-pm-utils-0.9.23-r2)
[blocks B ] sys-fs/udev ("sys-fs/udev" is blocking sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration-4, sys-apps/systemd-215-r3)
[blocks B ] sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration ("sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration" is blocking sys-fs/udev-215-r1)

I have been to the handbook about blocked packages, but i cant make any sense of it..
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you set -upower flag globally that will clear up that one.

As for the systemd issue, I've no idea, I don't use it or gnome.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: