View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donald3.heckel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Kwin keeps crashing, trying to install compiz-fusion as wm 2 Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been lately trying to use the desktop effects on kwin. When I try to switch the desktop interfacing to OpenGL, kwin then begins crashing every 2-5 minutes. I have also wanted if kwin will not work, to try compiz-fusion and install it as a second window manager for KDE. I would like to know a way to install compiz-0.8.8 from source and emerald from source. Compiz will not compile without a window decorator. I cannot find the emerald dependencies via tarball. I get the error message libwnck-1.0 not found and another message when I have libwnck-3.4.7 installed via source code/tarball. I could use some assistance.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

donald3.heckel
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you get those errors when compiling compiz 0.8.8 manually; what errors did you get from "emerge =x11-wm/compiz-fusion-0.8.8"?
donald3.heckel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Hello,

I am trying to install a window decorator. When I keep trying to emerge emerald, every single dependency is masked. I am unsure how to proceed. Unless I can get Kwin working, I will need to find a way to install emerald, and then compiz-fusion. I am wanting to use compiz with emerald. I would like to know alternatives if necessary.

Sincerely,

donald3.heckel
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try openbox. kde supports configuring the WM. If you still want to have a composited desktop (shadow/transparency/...) you can try compton. All in portage, so no need to compile it by hand.

BTW: You did not mention anything related to your system setup/errors yet. Which graphics card? driver + version? kernel? Anything in ~/.xsession-errors? /var/log/Xorg.0.log?
Also kwin should automatically restart after a crash. Might it be you are not seeing a kwin-crash but a crash of your desktop or even X? Could you describe how the crash looks like? disappearing windows/mouse frozen/...? What applications are running? Special tasks running? CPU fan going mad (probably heat issues?)
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure, the 3D acceleration must working. If not, the problem is the kernel/xorg setup.

Have you try all composite options for Kde? In Advanced Settings of Desktop Effects I use OpenGL 3.1. I use Native for Qt grapĥic system. You can activate the Vsync to Blank mode too in OpenGL options.
The Vsync to Blank mode can also be activate with the SwapbuffersWait option in an Xorg configuration file if you use the radeon or the intel module:
Code:
Section "Device"
    BoardName  "Intel"
    Driver     "intel"
    Identifier "Intel"
    Option     "SwapbuffersWait"   "on"
    VendorName "Intel"
EndSection

In $HOME/.drirc
Code:
<driconf>
   <device screen="0" >
      <application name="all">
         <!-- Always synchronize with vertical refresh to avoid tearing -->
         <option name="vblank_mode" value="0"/>
      </application>
   </device>
</driconf>

In $HOME/.bashrc
Code:
export vblank_mode=2

Not all desktop effects work in Kde. When I have problems with deskotp effects, I check if they work with Vsync to Blank.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply Reply with quote

donald3.heckel wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to install a window decorator. When I keep trying to emerge emerald, every single dependency is masked. I am unsure how to proceed. Unless I can get Kwin working, I will need to find a way to install emerald, and then compiz-fusion. I am wanting to use compiz with emerald. I would like to know alternatives if necessary.

Sincerely,

donald3.heckel

Please post the output you get from: USE="emerald" emerge -pv compiz-fusion
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: