What's causing a crash?: Source Engine/Steam [SOLVED?]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: What's causing a crash?: Source Engine/Steam [SOLVED?] Reply with quote

This might be more appropriate in the Steam thread (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-930354.html), but that's massive, and this is a very specific problem I'm having.

I am getting frequent crashes when playing source engine games, these crashes either eat my keyboard/mouse entirely, or run through the following sequence:
    Game screen freezes, sound goes on a very short loop
    I switch to an alternate desktop
    I bring up the system monitor and find that all Steam and HL2/Dota2 processes are on something similar to "hrtimer_nanosleep", "futex_wait_queue_me" or "pipe_wait"
    I kill them, since they're not responding.
    I wait for them to actually die.
    I go to open my "games tray" on the bar, and them my entire screen locks up, along with the keyboard and mouse.
    I hard-restart my computer, since there's nothing else I can do.
    Sometimes, on restart, I get a message along the lines of "vgaarb: Device decodes changed: olddecodes=mem+io, new decodes=none" Again, this isn't exact, as the boot-console logger doesn't get this message for some reason, and when I get this message, I only get a black screen when I boot (I have MATE set to start on boot-up, and I'm pretty sure that this means that this is my graphics drivers not finding something).

How do I find out what's going on enough to fix this? The crashes are getting more frequent.

(My system runs MATE, and nvidia proprietory graphics drivers, if that makes any difference)

Last edited by Illiander on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be 100% clear, I'm not asking for a fix, I'm asking for how to get better debug information.

What logs do I turn on, what extra daemons do I set running so see what's happening, would running a hardened kernel change anything?

I know I don't have enough information to even start sorting out what's going wrong, so I'm asking how I get that info.
janga8
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
What graphics drivers are you using?

The first thing you said about sound looping, that seems to happen on source games on any distro for me. It happens in gentoo, debian, arch and mint. :(

I'm not sure about logging though. :(

Hopefully valve will start optimizing source games for OpenGL.

Janga

EDIT: I'm not sure about this but source games only crashed for me on gentoo/debian, not the other 2, only sound looping and general lag and just realised that you said the proprietary graphics drivers.
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can remember back when Steam first came to Linux that Gentoo needed to use Ubuntu's binaries for some things, because Valve had been daft and done something that meant we needed *Ubuntu's* binaries specifically.

I can't find anything about that anymore though, but maybe someone needs to update the binaries we use?

Are Mint or Arch Ubuntu-derived?

I've actually gone back to WINE for steam for the moment, because this is crashing me so often.

Link to their bug forum, same issue: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Dota-2/issues/1478 (If you want to help out, if we can get some decent bug reports in one thread, they might notice)

The vgaarb issue is *probably* seperate, but started at about the same time, so might be related, but it's sounding more and more unlikely.
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *might* have solved this, the crash *seems* to have gone away.

For anyone else having the same problems, try turning off pulseaudio's automatic detection, and specify mixers, sinks and sources manually.

I still get the vgaarb issue, but that's probably unrelated, so I'll take it to a more general forum.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Teegrins, Illiander!

I have not experienced what you describe, and I do hope the issue isn't coming back, but I do have a couple of comments.

Illiander wrote:
I can remember back when Steam first came to Linux that Gentoo needed to use Ubuntu's binaries for some things, because Valve had been daft and done something that meant we needed *Ubuntu's* binaries specifically.

I can't find anything about that anymore though, but maybe someone needs to update the binaries we use?

I don't seem to quite remember that.

Are you perhaps thinking of the Steam runtime?
    By default, Valve bundles their own libraries with the steam package and uses them instead of installed system libraries. This behavior can be changed by setting the environment variable STEAM_RUNTIME=0.
I've had it enabled myself since the beginning I believe, and have had no issues really (except for the Steam browser not working at all with KDE, while it worked with Enlightenment... but now it's working with KDE again, too, so I dinnæ know!).

Illiander wrote:
Are Mint or Arch Ubuntu-derived?

While Linux Mint is based on Debian and Ubuntu, Arch Linux has been influenced by (but probably not really 'based' upon) Slackware, CRUX, as well as BSD.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: