View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: issues configuring Xorg, I can't move forward Reply with quote

I'm currently on the last leg of installing Gentoo.

Code:
Xorg -configure
fails wlth "Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices", xrandr can't open display, and none of my hand-made config files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d are working.

All I want to do is startx and have a 1280x1024 screen with Colemak layout on my only monitor. That's it. Twm launches at a resolution too large for my screen and I can't get my hands around QWERTY after using pure colemak for years. Layout is set up outside xorg perfectly, so it's difficult to even type exit when your keys are physically rearranged.

I can't get my logs off of my Gentoo system, is it possible to upload them without any network configuration? I've been using links(the browser) to read forum posts to try to fix this, but my configs aren't working which means they're probably wrong. No tabbing, no whitespace, I tried both to no avail.
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-keyboard.conf
Code:
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "keyboard0"
Option "XkbVarient" "colemak"
EndSection

I've also tried "en-latin9" when "colemak" didn't work. I've tried with tabbed indents, quad spaced indents, no indents. No change after restart.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-monitor.conf
Code:
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Monitor0"
Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1020"
EndSection

It's difficult to tell if this is working. Windows lay across the screen boundary but it could be the correct dimensions. I've tried with and without indentation.

Is there anything I can do to provide more information? I want to get past this and start figuring out why i3 can't open display.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all: 'Xorg -configure'...no, not really...

The entry for keyboard doesn't look quite valid - see /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf for the most basic entry, then the manpage.

As for the monitor, it depends - what does xrandr print ?
fel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
First of all: 'Xorg -configure'...no, not really...

The entry for keyboard doesn't look quite valid - see /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf for the most basic entry, then the manpage.

As for the monitor, it depends - what does xrandr print ?
xrandr prints "Can't open display". Same as my prospective TWM, i3.
I'm not sure which man page you're referring to. Xorg?
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manpages for xorg.conf and evdev.
xrandr will only work with a running xserver.
fel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
Manpages for xorg.conf and evdev.
xrandr will only work with a running xserver.

I didn't realise that, thank you.
Code:
xrandr: failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 640x480, current 640x480,, maximum 640x480
default connected 640x480+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   640x480          73.0*

Are you saying that I need to include evdev related options in my 30-keyboard.conf? I'm not certain if Identifier requires a certain identifier for specific hardware or if it's just a name. I've seen examples that suggest both. At least now I know that my monitor isn't configured.

On to the man pages.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I've said, look at that snippet in /usr/share, then - basing upon it - add your own with that "XkbVarient" line in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.

As for the resolution, there's too little info to say anything - even if it's a monitor or a video card problem.
fel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
Like I've said, look at that snippet in /usr/share, then - basing upon it - add your own with that "XkbVarient" line in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.

As for the resolution, there's too little info to say anything - even if it's a monitor or a video card problem.

Shame about the monitor. I had the keyboard correct but for "varient" over "variant". Works like a charm. Am I right in assuming that the maximum resolution currently supported by my system is 640x480? If that's so I must have messed something up somewhere. It can't be the kernel, can it? I used 'genkernel all' so it should be fine.. it's an old integrated chipset. Intel E2200 I think. I can't find information on my monitor using lspci nor am I seing it in /proc.

On the upside, everything technically works now except sound.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, I never trusted genkernel (even though I still don't know how to create an initramfs by myself)...

Pastebin your kernel config.
fel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
TBH, I never trusted genkernel (even though I still don't know how to create an initramfs by myself)...

Pastebin your kernel config.

Sorry for the wait, it took me a bit to figure out what text editor I should emerge once I saw your post.
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=ZqdM10my

Working with kernels is a new concept for me. Last week I thought they were engines you swapped out and tried not to break. Now they look more like a lego stack mixed with jenga.
I was going to stagger my way through menuconfig but realised shortly after that I know next to nothing about my hardware and that I had no idea what I needed to enable past what was spoonfed to me. At least now I have a short list of kernel modules that I know are being used. Definitely need to find more.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
# CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS is not set

You probably need to turn it on.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the kernel part looks mostly OK (wrt. graphics), except for CONFIG_FB_VESA=y - unset that (though always keep in mind .config isn't meant to be edited manually - personally, for all its shortcomings, I stick with menuconfig).
edit: OK, I've missed CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS (I thought that was the default by now...)
So, we're talking about intel...

Just so there are no surprises, what do you pass as command line to the bootloader ?
Also, post 'emerge -1pv mesa libdrm xorg-server xf86-video-intel'.
fel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:

Just so there are no surprises, what do you pass as command line to the bootloader ?
Also, post 'emerge -1pv mesa libdrm xorg-server xf86-video-intel'.

By bootloader, are you referring to grub? It's magic smoke to me since it seems to work out of the box, so I'm not sure. How would I find this?

Code:
emerge -1pv mesa libdrm xorg-server xf86-video-intel

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies  ... done!
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/libdrm-2.4.52  USE="libkms -static-libs" VIDEO_CARDS="intel nouveau radeon vmware (-exynos) (-freedreno) (-omap)" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/mesa-10.0.4  USE="bindist classic egl gallium gbm llvm nptl xa -debug -gles1 -gles2 -llvm-shared-libs -opencl -openvg -osmesa -pax_kernel -pic -r600-llvm-compiler (-selinux) -vdpau -wayland -xvmc" VIDEO_CARDS="intel nouveau radeon vmware (-freedreno) -i915 -i965 -ilo -r100 -r200 -r300 -r600 -radeonsi" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.15.0:0/1.15.0  USE="ipv6 nptl suid udev xorg -dmx -doc -kdrive -minimal (-selinux) -static-libs -tslib -unwind -xnest -xvfb" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.21.15  USE="dri sna udev -glamor -uxa -xvmc" 0 kB

Total: 4 packages (4 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Code:
CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS is not set

At a glance, I still don't know what this does but it appears to enable modesetting by default in intel cards? I'm honestly not sure what that would do for me, but a quick trip to wikipedia makes it sound like a really good idea.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, /proc/cmdline should show you the effective value.
If it's grub2 we're talking about, it's set in grub.cfg file - menu entries, lines starting with 'linux'.
It might be in /boot/grub/grub.cfg, though if your setup is pure EFI/GPT, it will be somewhere on the EFI partition.
fel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
Well, /proc/cmdline should show you the effective value.
If it's grub2 we're talking about, it's set in grub.cfg file - menu entries, lines starting with 'linux'.
It might be in /boot/grub/grub.cfg, though if your setup is pure EFI/GPT, it will be somewhere on the EFI partition.

(Yes, grub2. Sorry for the confusion.)
Code:
BOOT_IMAGE=/kernel-genkernel-x86-3.12.21-gentoo-r1 root=UUID=0be82242-89c4-40a0-b067-ec5f9e5850cc ro
potuz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens with
Code:
 $ cvt 1280 1024 60

you will get a modeline similar to
Code:

# 1280x1024 59.89 Hz (CVT 1.31M4) hsync: 63.67 kHz; pclk: 109.00 MHz
Modeline "1280x1024_60.00"  109.00  1280 1368 1496 1712  1024 1027 1034 1063 -hsync +vsync

now paste into
Code:
$xrandr --newmode "1280x1024_60.00"  109.00  1280 1368 1496 1712  1024 1027 1034 1063 -hsync +vsync

And finally apply with
Code:

$ xrandr --addmode S-video 1280x1024

replacing "S-video" with your connection or just "default". This should add your mode which you could test with
Code:
$ xrandr --output S-video --mode 1280x1024

replacing "S-video" by your connection or "default". This assumes that everything is well configured. Otherwise we'll need info on your monitor/video card. You can sometimes get by just telling the server how much memory you have available on your video card
Code:

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-vesahack.conf
    Section "Device"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        VideoRam 10000
    EndSection

changing 10Mb there by the amount you think you have. You can get more info on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution#Not_recognised_video_cards
http://askubuntu.com/questions/186288/how-to-detect-and-configure-an-output-with-xrandr

And to find out detailed info on your video card perhaps you can use lshw or similar as listed in http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hardware_detection. The output of lspci -v can be useful anyway. Finally, its not clear from your post, but I assume that you have tried startx out of the box without any xorg.conf.d editing on your part right? newer xorg-server are supposed to run well right after compilation without any configuration added.

Edit: The output of Xorg.0.log and .xsession-errors could also help
Edit2: Ahh, just read that you hadn't loaded the i915 with modesetting enabled. That must be it of course.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: