wired interface dissapeared
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vampire00
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: wired interface dissapeared Reply with quote

Hellooo. Long time lurker here. I have been using gentoo relatively smoothly for one year now in August. Earlier today I decided to switch from nouveau drivers to nvidia drivers to do some gaming. After recompiling my kernel, I ran an emerge --changed-use world to reflect my use-flag changes and I noticed there was no internet connection on my system. Ifconfig -a returns lo and a new random interface named sit0 with no ip assigned to it. My wired interface has always been eno1. First time I havent been able to fix a problem on my own :(
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check presence of the (correct) drivers in kernel. See output of /var/log/messages.

And provide more information here (what type of hardware, which drivers are used, etc.)
Atom2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampire00,
I am doing this on top of my head, so hopefully I am not missing any required step and if there's something missing, I am sure somebody else chimes in.
But first run
Code:
# dmesg | grep eth
which should give you something like the following provided that the correct driver for your network card is installed and has been started:
Code:
[    9.844255] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth0: registered PHC clock
[    9.844299] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth0: (PCI Express:2.5GT/s:Width x1) aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
[    9.844356] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth0: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
[    9.844440] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth0: MAC: 10, PHY: 11, PBA No: FFFFFF-0FF
[   14.008561] udevd[344]: renamed network interface eth0 to enp0s25
If you can't see any such (similar) lines, it's most likely a driver issue in the kernel and you need to make sure that the correct driver is either compiled into your current kernel or available as a module. BTW in the output above e1000 refers to the kernel driver for my card and the network interface has been named eth0 by the kernel. if you see something similar, than you should be fine kernel/driverwise and you may proceed to the next step, otherwise you need to fix your driver issues first.

In the last line of my output above you can see that udev kicked in and renamed eth0 to enp0s25 (a predictable network name). If you have a similar line with a rename entry, you need to do the following (substituting enp0s25 to whatever your new name was; if you have no rename but eth0 showed up, use eth0 instead):
Code:
# cd /etc/init.d
# ln -s net.lo net.enp0s25
Finally you need to change the file /etc/conf.d/net and change every line which references eno1 (your old network name) to refer to your new name instead (whatever the renamed name is or, missing a rename, eth0).

I hope that helps. Regards Atom2
Vampire00
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, seems i had forgotten the driver in the kernel recompile. Added the driver, redid the sym link, and put the interface up. Everything is good to go thanks guys.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: