sys-fs/eudev & hwdb
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: sys-fs/eudev & hwdb Reply with quote

Hi there!
I've just replaced udev with eudev (thanks to Tractor Girl's mini guide).
Now I trying to update a system, but emerge complains about "hwdb" USE flag (requires by eudev).
If I enabling hwdb, it in turns, pulls in another one flag: udev.
I'm not sure do I really need this hardware database that may pull in some other crap?
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it installed with eudev and it should only depend on perl and virtual/udev (satisfied with eudev)
I think udev/eudev uses it to identify things like usb devices and other hardware that it manages.
I'm not 100% sure if it is needed.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really depends on your system. The answer is "I don't know. Do you need it?"

If you needed it before, then yes you still do. If you didn't need it the answer is no, you don't need it.

Switching to eudev should be as simple as using emerge -1 eudev. As far as other programs are concerned eudev and udev should be identical.

You may need to check your use flags.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more about it https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-950616-start-0.html

hwids (hwdb) is used by pciutils and usbutils so if those are installed then it should be on your system.
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for replies, guys.
I read that topic before.
I didn't have it installed before, it emerged after switching to eudev.
usbutils isn't installed, but pciutils is here. If this database intended for "human-readable" purposes only, I think it may be removed.
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've patched eudev ebuild and updated a system. Seems all works, lspci still shows all the devices.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hwids files are required for /etc/udev/hwdb.bin generation. Without the files, it ends up as empty database, and udev will misrecognize devices. The USE="-hwdb" (as in, disabled) option is left for embedded systems with harddisk size considerations mainly.
I removed whole flag from sys-fs/udev because it's too dangerous to not have the database files, it only causes people to report invalid bug reports, to gentoo and to upstream. If people really want to avoid the hwids files, I prefer they use package.provided instead,
to indicate such setup is not supported.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
The hwids files are required for /etc/udev/hwdb.bin generation. Without the files, it ends up as empty database, and udev will misrecognize devices. The USE="-hwdb" (as in, disabled) option is left for embedded systems with harddisk size considerations mainly.
I removed whole flag from sys-fs/udev because it's too dangerous to not have the database files, it only causes people to report invalid bug reports, to gentoo and to upstream. If people really want to avoid the hwids files, I prefer they use package.provided instead,
to indicate such setup is not supported.
That kind of makes sense, but since there is a valid reason why a group of users would want to disable it wouldn't it make more sense to leave the flag but force it to be enabled?

As I recall there where/are several use flags of that type in KDE. USE="consolkit" was forced if I recall correctly (I haven't used KDE for over a year. My memory may be shaky on this point.)

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: