PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is extremely nifty! Well done, ian! :D
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that was going to get on my nerves is now fixed in 0.044:

Changelog wrote:
- Do not record states in postsync when state is identical to the latest recorded state.

No more redundancy when auto-recording after --sync. --- Eh. You don't know about this feature?

demerge-ebuild wrote:
/etc/portage/postsync.d/demerge-record has been installed for convenience
If you wish for it to be automatically run at the end of every --sync simply chmod +x /etc/portage/postsync.d/demerge-record
If ever you find this to be an inconvenience simply chmod -x /etc/portage/postsync.d/demerge-record

Enjoy! :)
ian!
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changelog wrote:
- Check if needed ebuilds are available. Show which ebuild will be used by portage when merging the package.

NerdIII
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that I bring back this dusty thread, but I just found this tool after another system breakage due to updates (no more hibernate, stop media key tunes down volume, system sometimes hangs on starting X) and had no easy way to revert to the previous state.
First I thought I would have to write something myself. Try to emerge to a temporary file system, record files that would be overwritten and create a backup from that. Demerge is a great alternative, thank you!
F1r31c3r
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Use this program carefully - otherwise you might run into problems.
You are root. You are responsible for your actions.

This made me laugh, in fact it made me more than just laugh, awesome program message love it. great work :P
If we know the truth, then we should be free from deception (John 8:42-47 )
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! I was wracking my brain to try and remember what this util was called. I'm currently experimenting with different DE's and this tool is friggin' essential for rolling back without having to manually record and unmerge the 100+ packages that a DE normally tries to pull in.

Thank you so much for making this; It is probably the single most useful Portage tool. IMHO it should be a standard part of Portage!
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
Aha! I was wracking my brain to try and remember what this util was called. I'm currently experimenting with different DE's and this tool is friggin' essential for rolling back without having to manually record and unmerge the 100+ packages that a DE normally tries to pull in.

Thank you so much for making this; It is probably the single most useful Portage tool. IMHO it should be a standard part of Portage!
Just a tiny little suggestion:
Code:
emerge --depclean
...will unmerge all the no longer needed dependencies.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I knowabout depclean, but from past experience I'm wary of it - a) You still need to record the originating packages, which aren't necessarily the ones you named, and b) Last time I used it on something with such complex dependency chains, it broke the system horribly...

demerge just *works* :D
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will demerge also restore configuration files when reverting to previous state? I come from having a problem with dovecot upgrade where etc-update did merge "trivial changes" and after that I could not login to my mailserver anymore. Fortunately I had a backup from where I could copy back /etc/dovecot content and my problem is solved. Now I would like to know if demerge can save me in a similar case to revert back to previous state including configuration files.

Sounds very promising. Thanks. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: