View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voncloft
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Can I get rid of kwallet in KDE Reply with quote

KWallet is annoying, I have tried to disable in in system settings>>Account Details>>KWallet>>and de-selecting "Enable the KDE Wallet subsystem" checkbox, and hitting apply.
Which to me logically means it will not longer bother me or pop up when I try to access my NAS through samba.....nope

I have tried to uninstall it from my system but then Gentoo decides to reinstall it, so I mask it in /etc/portage/package.mask but when I try to update my system Gentoo gives me an error saying i need to update my package.accept_keywords to allow kwallet to install or it won't update or let me rebuild my system.

I want KWallet gone, or to atleast quit bugging me everytime I do something password related

Can anyone offer a solution to keep the darn thing disabled and stop it from re-enabling itself?

Thanks
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Teegrins, voncloft!

I imagine there might be a proper way to just disable it, but I'm not sure, nor can I right away test it, since I indeed went for a more drastic route myself by hacking the wallet off completely from my system.

I never looked into why certain things have it as a dependency, as they do seem to build without it. That is to say, I have simply modified all the ebuilds that pull it in to not pull it in. You can do this too, but I can't promise that you don't have a package that actually fails to build without it.

I would recommend on copying the particular ebuilds to a local overlay, edit, and install them from there.

Like I said though, this is a bit hacky, and there's no telling of how long it will be possible to just drop the whole package until something breaks. A better way should probably exist... If there's no harm in not having it though, I would almost go and report a bug for making it optional in the official ebuilds.

I think I originally 'hacked it off' because kwallet itself was failing to build, and since I never used it, I just let it stay away.

I hope this info can be of at least some help to ya!
wjb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to bug me too.

it wouldn't take a no-character password. One works. A, anyone?
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth, I used to end all updates with

Code:
emerge -C kde-base/kwalletd  kde-base/kwalletmanager

Of course they got brought back at the next emerge -uvDN @world, but until then they couldn't bug me. I can't gaurantee that this will still work, but it used to.
Aiken
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap wrote:

Of course they got brought back at the next emerge -uvDN @world, but until then they couldn't bug me. I can't gaurantee that this will still work, but it used to.

Don't feel like maintaining more custom ebuilds to remove the dependency on kwalletd so trying package.provided. Have this on a couple of computers to see what happens.

Like others I don't use or want kwalletd. Finding references on the net to kwalletd in system settings but I am not seeing it. I keep thinking you can humour kwalletd by going through the motions of setting it up then hitting cancel at the appropriate point but next computer or another user on the same system and there it is again. Nicer to just uninstall it and try to keep it gone.

edit: typo

Last edited by Aiken on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
voncloft
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: ...sort of got a fix Reply with quote

I find a solution not one I like but it will do: I have a custom list of alias' in my .bashrc file so I don't have to type everything out by hand - I modified them

Code:

alias sudo='sudo '
alias fupdate='sudo emerge --sync && sudo layman -S && sudo emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse @world && sudo emerge -C kde-base/kwalletd  kde-base/kwalletmanager && sudo emerge --depclean'
alias update='sudo emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse @world && sudo emerge -C kde-base/kwalletd  kde-base/kwalletmanager '
alias exterminate='sudo emerge -C kde-base/kwalletd  kde-base/kwalletmanager && sudo emerge --depclean'
alias delete='sudo emerge --unmerge '
alias rebuild=' sudo emerge @preserved-rebuild && sudo emerge -C kde-base/kwalletd  kde-base/kwalletmanager'
alias install='sudo emerge '
alias editbash='sudo kate /home/voncloft/.bashrc'
alias reload='source /home/voncloft/.bashrc'
alias sync='sudo emerge --sync && sudo layman -S'
alias lays='sudo layman -S'
screenfetch
alias reboot='sudo reboot'
alias music='vlc|projectM-pulseaudio'
# Put your fun stuff here.

basically I just run the "full update" for my system then completely uninstall kwallet - an annoyance but it works
vode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave an empty password to kwallet. It stopped popping up asking for a password every time I restart a computer.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: